Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Oh er.........here comes trouble! Col Utd report Norwich

[quote user="gsr600"]to be honest i cant see how theyd have a case, they gave permission for us to speak to him, he resigned, he was technically a free agent after resigning so couldve gone to anywhere, they wouldnt be taking this position if we werent in a position to leap above them. sounds like there worried that were in a better position then them for promotion in the playoffs[/quote]

There are several points which are contentious. Did we first speak to Lambert before contacting Colchester - I remember there being an issue with Bowker suggesting we had when speaking to the Colchester chairman. The other issue is did Norwich induce Lambert to break his contract a la Chelsea and Kakuta, this rule was brought it to basically get round basic employment law i.e. players/managers just resigning and re-signing for new clubs. We did do this, that much is clear - when Lambert quit after speaking to us he broke his contract and we were responsible. This meant we owed Colchester compensation, with them knowing we had to pay them something, obviously they demanded a large chunk of cash and we offered a couple of rolos. The tribunal will decided if Norwich are at fault for compensation not being sorted or if Colchester were being unreasonable.

Likely result will be a compensation payment to Colchester, high or low depending on the details of the original negotiations i.e if the tribunal think we offered a fair amount and Colchester were being difficult then it will be small and vice versa.

If Norwich were deemed to have acted badly throughout the approach to Lambert, our negotiations and compensation offer then points deduction is a very real possibility. As the guy on the BBC site says the FDC have that power.

Dear oh dear......... it really has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with the fact that your club, being so "massive" and all, thinks it can do what it likes or more to the point, ignore agreements and contracts and then get away scott free with no form of punishment. I couldn''t give a toss if you get deducted points or not but I would certainly like to think that you will have to pay a fair and reasonable amount in compensation. The problem is that your club will probably not have the funds to pay that compensation so you''d better hope they sell Hoolihan or Holt or else you''re all going to have to invest in large tubes of KY jelly and be prepared to bend over to earn the money to help the club out.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="gsr600"]to be honest i cant see how theyd have a case, they gave permission for us to speak to him, he resigned, he was technically a free agent after resigning so couldve gone to anywhere, they wouldnt be taking this position if we werent in a position to leap above them. sounds like there worried that were in a better position then them for promotion in the playoffs[/quote]

There are several points which are contentious. Did we first speak to Lambert before contacting Colchester - I remember there being an issue with Bowker suggesting we had when speaking to the Colchester chairman. The other issue is did Norwich induce Lambert to break his contract a la Chelsea and Kakuta, this rule was brought it to basically get round basic employment law i.e. players/managers just resigning and re-signing for new clubs. We did do this, that much is clear - when Lambert quit after speaking to us he broke his contract and we were responsible. This meant we owed Colchester compensation, with them knowing we had to pay them something, obviously they demanded a large chunk of cash and we offered a couple of rolos. The tribunal will decided if Norwich are at fault for compensation not being sorted or if Colchester were being unreasonable.

Likely result will be a compensation payment to Colchester, high or low depending on the details of the original negotiations i.e if the tribunal think we offered a fair amount and Colchester were being difficult then it will be small and vice versa.

If Norwich were deemed to have acted badly throughout the approach to Lambert, our negotiations and compensation offer then points deduction is a very real possibility. As the guy on the BBC site says the FDC have that power.

[/quote]

Although the waters are muddied slightly by the fact that they supposedly gave us permission to talk to him so although we may have "induced" him we did so with their blessing! If they give us permission to talk to him and on the back of that he then goes back and resigns its not quite the same as us tapping him up behind their back is it?

The fact that Norwich asked for permission means that we at least tried to go about things in the right manner. Lambert then went back and resigned, presumably because his boss at the time did not want to let him go without a huge pay off. Norwich cannot be blamed for Lambert taking that action as they had spoken to him in good faith with permission to do so. Norwich then employed Lambert as a free agent. I think Norwich decided that under the circumstances it would be fair and proper to offer Colchester some form of compensation if only to bring the matter to a close. However, Colchester wanted an unreasonably huge wedge. So we wouldn''t pay. But any legal case that Col U have should be against Lambert as opposed to Norwich.

[quote user="Seven Up"]Dear oh dear......... it really has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with the fact that your club, being so "massive" and all, thinks it can do what it likes or more to the point, ignore agreements and contracts and then get away scott free with no form of punishment. I couldn''t give a toss if you get deducted points or not but I would certainly like to think that you will have to pay a fair and reasonable amount in compensation. The problem is that your club will probably not have the funds to pay that compensation so you''d better hope they sell Hoolihan or Holt or else you''re all going to have to invest in large tubes of KY jelly and be prepared to bend over to earn the money to help the club out.[/quote]

Bless.

Oh btw, whos Hoolihan? Typical essex chaaaaav.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="gary "]can anyone think of 1 manager move that has resulted in a points deduction - heavy fine perhaps , but what justification for a punishment that has never happened before - think Bruce at Sunderland , etc - would opena huge can of worms[/quote]

Exactly, but we''re not a Premier League side, look how Leeds have been punished!

[/quote]

That wasn''t for manager napping you old drama queen - hahah [:D][:D] 

Quote "Dear oh dear......... it really has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with the fact that your club, being so "massive" and all, thinks it can do what it likes or more to the point, ignore agreements and contracts and then get away scott free with no form of punishment. I couldn''t give a toss if you get deducted points or not but I would certainly like to think that you will have to pay a fair and reasonable amount in compensation. The problem is that your club will probably not have the funds to pay that compensation so you''d better hope they sell Hoolihan or Holt or else you''re all going to have to invest in large tubes of KY jelly and be prepared to bend over to earn the money to help the club out."

Dear Seven Up (bless he has named himself after their most famous victory... how sweet)

I''d have a word with your chairman, in that if he''d really not wanted to lose your manager, he''d have been best not ALLOWING us permission to discuss the job with him. I''d also concentrate on making Colchester an attractive place for excellent young managers to stay, rather than joining clubs with more potential (us, the binmen, Southend etc.). Managers move on, it''s just we don''t bleat like little girls when it happens to us.

Finally, please don''t bring your own sordid fantasies to this board. Good lad.

Mike

x

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]The fact that Norwich asked for permission means that we at least tried to go about things in the right manner. Lambert then went back and resigned, presumably because his boss at the time did not want to let him go without a huge pay off. Norwich cannot be blamed for Lambert taking that action as they had spoken to him in good faith with permission to do so. Norwich then employed Lambert as a free agent. I think Norwich decided that under the circumstances it would be fair and proper to offer Colchester some form of compensation if only to bring the matter to a close. However, Colchester wanted an unreasonably huge wedge. So we wouldn''t pay. But any legal case that Col U have should be against Lambert as opposed to Norwich.[/quote]

Norwich can be blamed. Mentioning in the press that you would like to buy/employ a player or manager is seen to be inducing a break in the contract. That is why we entered negotiations in the first place, because we induced the resignation when we discussed terms with Lambert (doesn''t matter if we have permission or not), otherwise there would be no transfers - players and managers would just quit and re-sign.

To think I defended them the other week when people were calling them a small tinpot outfit. Well f*ck them, bunch of wank*rs the lot of them. I can''t wait for the derby now its going to be fantastic. Oh and I live in Colchester not to far from their shed they where they play their hoofball so I may wander up there later and have a pi*s.

[quote user="Seven Up"]Dear oh dear......... it really has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with the fact that your club, being so "massive" and all, thinks it can do what it likes or more to the point, ignore agreements and contracts and then get away scott free with no form of punishment. I couldn''t give a toss if you get deducted points or not but I would certainly like to think that you will have to pay a fair and reasonable amount in compensation. The problem is that your club will probably not have the funds to pay that compensation so you''d better hope they sell Hoolihan or Holt or else you''re all going to have to invest in large tubes of KY jelly and be prepared to bend over to earn the money to help the club out.[/quote]

Or we could make our ground available for a few huge bands to play this year; mind you, so could you, I''ve heard that The Wurzels are planning a reunion tour [:)]

[quote user="Mike Grant"]

Quote "Dear oh dear......... it really has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with the fact that your club, being so "massive" and all, thinks it can do what it likes or more to the point, ignore agreements and contracts and then get away scott free with no form of punishment. I couldn''t give a toss if you get deducted points or not but I would certainly like to think that you will have to pay a fair and reasonable amount in compensation. The problem is that your club will probably not have the funds to pay that compensation so you''d better hope they sell Hoolihan or Holt or else you''re all going to have to invest in large tubes of KY jelly and be prepared to bend over to earn the money to help the club out."

Dear Seven Up (bless he has named himself after their most famous victory... how sweet)

I''d have a word with your chairman, in that if he''d really not wanted to lose your manager, he''d have been best not ALLOWING us permission to discuss the job with him. I''d also concentrate on making Colchester an attractive place for excellent young managers to stay, rather than joining clubs with more potential (us, the binmen, Southend etc.). Managers move on, it''s just we don''t bleat like little girls when it happens to us.

Mike

x

[/quote]

POTD [:D]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Wiz is enjoying himself anyway.  He''s already been on the Col U board to issue one of his devastating hexes.  :lol[/quote]

I could throw a Romany curse, they always work a treat [:D]

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]The fact that Norwich asked for permission means that we at least tried to go about things in the right manner. Lambert then went back and resigned, presumably because his boss at the time did not want to let him go without a huge pay off. Norwich cannot be blamed for Lambert taking that action as they had spoken to him in good faith with permission to do so. Norwich then employed Lambert as a free agent. I think Norwich decided that under the circumstances it would be fair and proper to offer Colchester some form of compensation if only to bring the matter to a close. However, Colchester wanted an unreasonably huge wedge. So we wouldn''t pay. But any legal case that Col U have should be against Lambert as opposed to Norwich.[/quote]

Norwich can be blamed. Mentioning in the press that you would like to buy/employ a player or manager is seen to be inducing a break in the contract. That is why we entered negotiations in the first place, because we induced the resignation when we discussed terms with Lambert (doesn''t matter if we have permission or not), otherwise there would be no transfers - players and managers would just quit and re-sign.

[/quote]

Sorry but if you think that does not happen with 99.9% of clubs, players & managers these days you are extremely naive.  As I said they should have said they were NOT giving us permission to talk to him.

Martin O''Neill - Leicester

Walker - Everton

etc.etc.

[quote user="Seven Up"]Dear oh dear......... it really has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with the fact that your club, being so "massive" and all, thinks it can do what it likes or more to the point, ignore agreements and contracts and then get away scott free with no form of punishment. I couldn''t give a toss if you get deducted points or not but I would certainly like to think that you will have to pay a fair and reasonable amount in compensation. The problem is that your club will probably not have the funds to pay that compensation so you''d better hope they sell Hoolihan or Holt or else you''re all going to have to invest in large tubes of KY jelly and be prepared to bend over to earn the money to help the club out.[/quote]Well it''s nice to you that you people who live in the Ipswich suburbs and support that little team who play at the cuckoo clock ground are just as bitter as the scummy fookers who live in the main Town.Now run along young fella and practice your mockney accent.

[quote user="Mike Grant"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Sorry but if you think that does not happen with 99.9% of clubs, players & managers these days you are extremely naive.  As I said they should have said they were NOT giving us permission to talk to him.

Martin O''Neill - Leicester

Walker - Everton

etc.etc.[/quote]

We recieved compensation for Walker, and O''Neill quit before Leicester made an approach so neither are really relevant and both I believe happened before the new rules came in.

Yes, this does happen a lot but in 99.9% of those case compensation is agreed before it reaches a tribunal or even before the manager leaves. By Norwich even entering compensation negotiations liability was implied. This isn''t a case of did we/didn''t we it is all about the amount of money offered/wanted. You could say Colchester have been pretty patient with us in waiting until now to take it to tribunal.

I think it will end up in a slap on the wrist and us paying more compensation than we wanted, but not as much as Colchester are demanding. If it comes out we did approach Lambert before talking to Colchester, then we could be in for a much bigger fine and potential points deduction.

Mike

x

[/quote]

I don''t feel the need to have a word with our Chairman, as I think he realised that Lambert had already decided to join Norwich (slightly given away by the fact that they approached Colchester to appoint him - not to ask permission to talk to him - what, no interview??) and actually said he could talk to you but nothing was to happen until compensation had been agreed. It was at that point that Lambert walked out (taking Culverhouse and Karsa with him) and this was where the problems started. Colchester is an attractive place for young managers to come to (Phil Parkinson, Lambert, Aidy B for example), unfortunately for us, in Lambert''s case it was just seen as a stepping stone towards his ultimate goal of managing Celtic or Scotland no doubt. I realise that managers move on, same as players do, this has always been a fact of life when supporting a club like Colchester and I''m not bleating about Lambert leaving as such - more because of the high and mighty attitude of larger clubs who think that they can do as they please.

As for potential, don''t make me chuckle....... the only potential you have is to get back to where you once were and where you obviously think you have some god-given right to be.

I''d hardly call beating you lot 7-1 our most famous victory by the way, just seemed like an appropriate username to join your forum with at the time.....

[quote user="Seven Up"][quote user="Mike Grant"]

Mike

x

[/quote] I don''t feel the need to have a word with our Chairman, as I think he realised that Lambert had already decided to join Norwich (slightly given away by the fact that they approached Colchester to appoint him - not to ask permission to talk to him - what, no interview??) and actually said he could talk to you but nothing was to happen until compensation had been agreed. It was at that point that Lambert walked out (taking Culverhouse and Karsa with him) and this was where the problems started. Colchester is an attractive place for young managers to come to (Phil Parkinson, Lambert, Aidy B for example), unfortunately for us, in Lambert''s case it was just seen as a stepping stone towards his ultimate goal of managing Celtic or Scotland no doubt. I realise that managers move on, same as players do, this has always been a fact of life when supporting a club like Colchester and I''m not bleating about Lambert leaving as such - more because of the high and mighty attitude of larger clubs who think that they can do as they please. As for potential, don''t make me chuckle....... the only potential you have is to get back to where you once were and where you obviously think you have some god-given right to be. I''d hardly call beating you lot 7-1 our most famous victory by the way, just seemed like an appropriate username to join your forum with at the time.....[/quote]

I thought Cully and Karsa resigned?

the Football League are gonna have to be careful in there decision as this will set a precedent either way it decides,

if it finds in favour of norwich then clubs will be approaching others for managers and offering peanuts in compensation to get there man

if they find in colchesters favour this could literally mean a club can hold a manager and a other club to ransom until there demands are either met or points and fines imposed,

every club in future that goes to a tribunal for similar cases will have to have the same punishment if found guilty or the football league will fall into chaos.

O''Neill quit and joined Leicester the same day but of course there was no approach LOL! Walker we got compensation which we negotiated unfortunately Colchester feel this route is not an option anymore. They are being pathetic.

FA " So McNally, did you approach Lambert outside rules?"

McNally " No we asked & their chairman said we could talk to him"

FA "So Lambert where you offered a job before permission was given?"

Lambert "No I talked to NCFC after permission was given. I then asked the Col Utd chairman for permission to apply. He said no, so I resigned and then McNally offered the job"

Points deduction my arse!

Mike

x

[/quote] I don''t feel the need to have a word with our Chairman, as I think he realised that Lambert had already decided to join Norwich (slightly given away by the fact that they approached Colchester to appoint him - not to ask permission to talk to him - what, no interview??) and actually said he could talk to you but nothing was to happen until compensation had been agreed. It was at that point that Lambert walked out (taking Culverhouse and Karsa with him) and this was where the problems started. Colchester is an attractive place for young managers to come to (Phil Parkinson, Lambert, Aidy B for example), unfortunately for us, in Lambert''s case it was just seen as a stepping stone towards his ultimate goal of managing Celtic or Scotland no doubt. I realise that managers move on, same as players do, this has always been a fact of life when supporting a club like Colchester and I''m not bleating about Lambert leaving as such - more because of the high and mighty attitude of larger clubs who think that they can do as they please. As for potential, don''t make me chuckle....... the only potential you have is to get back to where you once were and where you obviously think you have some god-given right to be. I''d hardly call beating you lot 7-1 our most famous victory by the way, just seemed like an appropriate username to join your forum with at the time.....[/quote]

Well, in that case you might want to change it to ''six up'' - a bit of help in case you can''t you subtract one from seven - though you could always just pop one of your socks off [:)]

And, as for your most famous victory - why on earth would anyone on here know that?! [*-)]

O''Neill quit and joined Leicester the same day but of course there was no approach LOL! Walker we got compensation which we negotiated unfortunately Colchester feel this route is not an option anymore. They are being pathetic.

FA " So McNally, did you approach Lambert outside rules?"

McNally " No we asked & their chairman said we could talk to him"

FA "So Lambert where you offered a job before permission was given?"

Lambert "No I talked to NCFC after permission was given. I then asked the Col Utd chairman for permission to apply. He said no, so I resigned and then McNally offered the job"

Points deduction my arse!

[/quote]

Okay, I forgot about the timings of O''Neill but as I said I don''t think the regulations were as tight back then. Chase probably should of chased for negotiations (although I have vauge memory of O''Neill claiming Chase broke the contract somehow)

I do feel as if I am banging my head against a wall. Firstly Colchester are claiming we made an approach to Lambert directly, before we spoke to them and managers CANNOT quit one club and join another without compensation being paid if the new club expressed an interest before the manager quit. Norwich expressed that interest by speaking to Lambert (with or without permission, it doesn''t matter).

Without knowing about the negotiations it is hard to say whether they are being pathetic or not, the 2 clubs have been in talks since we appointed Lambert, which is almost 6 months ago now so hardly a short time. If there is only a few thousand in difference then yes it is a little pathetic, but I have a feeling it is a lot more.

the difference in money owed is 6 figues apparently (quote from EDP)

I have a feeling that we could end up agreeing to pay compensation to Col U and not get a points deduction.

[quote user="B-ru"]

the difference in money owed is 6 figues apparently (quote from EDP)

I have a feeling that we could end up agreeing to pay compensation to Col U and not get a points deduction.

[/quote]

I think points deduction is very unlikely, I can''t think of when it has happened not related to clubs going into admin. Colchester are trying to back Norwich into a corner and get us to settle before the tribunal is heard, or asking for a big punishment in the hope of getting a lesser one.

[/quote]

We never induced him to join us through the press. We phoned them up and asked permission to speak to him and were given permission. After having spoken to us he then went back and asked his chairman to let him go and when his chairman said no he resigned. We then offered him the job.

Mike

x

Blub....

Be sure to wave when we pass you on the way up :o)

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

We never induced him to join us through the press. We phoned them up and asked permission to speak to him and were given permission. After having spoken to us he then went back and asked his chairman to let him go and when his chairman said no he resigned. We then offered him the job.

[/quote]

I know, but I mentioned the press thing as an example of how easy it is to "induce" someone to break a contract. Also we didn''t ask for permission to talk to him, we asked for permission to appoint him, suggesting talks had already happened. I think this is the biggest factor in the whole issue, Colchester think we tapped him up, we are saying we knew we wanted him without having to interview him first. As he quit after we spoke to him, it is deemed we induced him to quit - which is ok, as long as we pay compensation.

Curses! If ONLY we had someone on the board (the chief executive, for example) who was a trained lawyer then we could be pretty confident we''d acted legally all the way through and had nothing to worry about...PS. A public thank you to Sports Desk Pete for sorting out my password problem and so enabling me to ditch the persona of my evil twin CanaryPurple.