Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Cody Mac

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Dicky"]

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mello Yello"]Cody''s the future.....Let him start a few games......give Martin and Co, something to think about.[/quote]Martin''s younger than Cody! So how can Cody be the future?[/quote]

Was gonna say the same thing myself.

[/quote]I call it the "Jim Brennan" syndrome. When JB wasn''t playing he was the answer to all our ills. Then when he actually got a run in the team it became apparent that he wasn''t.Not playing does players'' reputations the power of good, because it means they can''t play badly.[/quote]What? I must have missed the period when Jim Brennan was the answer to all our ills. When exactly was that again?

[quote user="Lambo"]I like Cody, really admire his spirit and willingness to run for the cause but for those saying he deserves to start over Martin, Martin is playing and scoring as our the other two players in our front 3.

1st rule of football is if you''ve found a system and team thats winning football matches don''t mess about with it unless you have to.[/quote]Im not saying that Cody should be starting as your 100% right, Martin is scoring and him and Holt is working.My point is that Cody wasnt brought on against Leeds and he wasnt brought on against Swindon. He comes on v Stockport and look what happens.The main point im trying to get across is that he should be coming on every game for the last 20 mins or so, and should NEVER be behind the pathetic Cureton.

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="Lambo"]I like Cody, really admire his spirit and willingness to run for the cause but for those saying he deserves to start over Martin, Martin is playing and scoring as our the other two players in our front 3.

1st rule of football is if you''ve found a system and team thats winning football matches don''t mess about with it unless you have to.[/quote]Im not saying that Cody should be starting as your 100% right, Martin is scoring and him and Holt is working.My point is that Cody wasnt brought on against Leeds and he wasnt brought on against Swindon. He comes on v Stockport and look what happens.The main point im trying to get across is that he should be coming on every game for the last 20 mins or so, and should NEVER be behind the pathetic Cureton.[/quote]I don''t think anybody could disagree with this, to be honest.

Did you see the linesman give the throw in the other way when everyone and I mean everyone thought it was a Norwich throw yet he was right next to it.

I wouldn''t be surprised if Cody''s tackle did take ball out of play, I think the linesmen in the game yesterday were both poor. The goal they got should have been disallowed as well.

In saying that good on Cody for his perseverance and tenacity in getting the ball and also for his unselfishness in crossing for Holt. Made an edgy finish a lot more bearable

[quote user="Barclayman"]What? I must have missed the period when Jim Brennan was the answer to all our ills. When exactly was that again?[/quote]There was a short period in time (can''t remember when, maybe when the wheels fell off about a third of the way through the prem season?) where people on this very message board were calling for Brennan to start. Ok - perhaps I''m exaggerating that poeple thought he was the answer to all our problems - but there were plenty of people assuming that Brennan would be great for us, using the evidence of a few substitute appearances here and there, and reports from Forest fans etc. Anyway, whenever it was, turned out that he wasn''t very good after all.Cody had a period of games and proved that although he is a hard worker, with pace and a keen eye for goal, he wasn''t taking the chances that came his way. Martin got his chance, and took it. That''s how football works.I definitely agree that he should be first choice sub ahead of Curo, but Martin is playing well and the combination is working. I also don''t think that Leeds would have struggled with him, they have quite a pacy defence and I don''t think his movement/poaching is yet up to Div 3 football. But he''ll get there.Watching him actually reminds me of watching Leon in our Prem season - a lot of bluster, hardwork, fist-pumping pacy aggression, but prone to chasing the ball around rather than concentrating on being in the right place at the right time.Oh, and thanks for the advice Mello. I will call it what I want.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Barclayman"]
What? I must have missed the period when Jim Brennan was the answer to all our ills. When exactly was that again?
[/quote]

There was a short period in time (can''t remember when, maybe when the wheels fell off about a third of the way through the prem season?) where people on this very message board were calling for Brennan to start. Ok - perhaps I''m exaggerating that poeple thought he was the answer to all our problems - but there were plenty of people assuming that Brennan would be great for us, using the evidence of a few substitute appearances here and there, and reports from Forest fans etc. Anyway, whenever it was, turned out that he wasn''t very good after all.

Cody had a period of games and proved that although he is a hard worker, with pace and a keen eye for goal, he wasn''t taking the chances that came his way. Martin got his chance, and took it. That''s how football works.

I definitely agree that he should be first choice sub ahead of Curo, but Martin is playing well and the combination is working. I also don''t think that Leeds would have struggled with him, they have quite a pacy defence and I don''t think his movement/poaching is yet up to Div 3 football. But he''ll get there.

Watching him actually reminds me of watching Leon in our Prem season - a lot of bluster, hardwork, fist-pumping pacy aggression, but prone to chasing the ball around rather than concentrating on being in the right place at the right time.

Oh, and thanks for the advice Mello. I will call it what I want.
[/quote]

Nice backtrack Mork, (I''ll call you what I want).....I still think Cody offers more than Martin, who I reiterate in my opinion, is lazy.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Barclayman"]What? I must have missed the period when Jim Brennan was the answer to all our ills. When exactly was that again?[/quote]There was a short period in time (can''t remember when, maybe when the wheels fell off about a third of the way through the prem season?) where people on this very message board were calling for Brennan to start. Ok - perhaps I''m exaggerating that poeple thought he was the answer to all our problems - but there were plenty of people assuming that Brennan would be great for us, using the evidence of a few substitute appearances here and there, and reports from Forest fans etc. Anyway, whenever it was, turned out that he wasn''t very good after all.Cody had a period of games and proved that although he is a hard worker, with pace and a keen eye for goal, he wasn''t taking the chances that came his way. Martin got his chance, and took it. That''s how football works.I definitely agree that he should be first choice sub ahead of Curo, but Martin is playing well and the combination is working. I also don''t think that Leeds would have struggled with him, they have quite a pacy defence and I don''t think his movement/poaching is yet up to Div 3 football. But he''ll get there.Watching him actually reminds me of watching Leon in our Prem season - a lot of bluster, hardwork, fist-pumping pacy aggression, but prone to chasing the ball around rather than concentrating on being in the right place at the right time.Oh, and thanks for the advice Mello. I will call it what I want.[/quote]

Nice backtrack Mork, (I''ll call you what I want).....I still think Cody offers more than Martin, who I reiterate in my opinion, is lazy.

[/quote]No backtrack Smello (geddit?). I like Cody, but I think he''s shown us this season that he''s incredibly raw and probably needs nurturing. I also agree that Martin can appear lazy, but he gets the job done. Players like Lineker, Owen, Earnshaw, Ashton, Berbatov, Le Tissier etc etc etc have all been labelled lazy at some point or another, but managers know they''re effective.I think Cody is a typical fans favourite. Blood and thunder, chasing and harrying etc, gets the punters on their feet so to speak. But I''ll go with the current stats and say that Martin''s goals are what we need to get us out of this league.The only way we''ll solve the "who''s got the most potential" debate is to come back in 10 years and see how their careers have panned out... I''d wager Martin goes further in the game.

Yes, The Holt And Martin Partnership Is Working.......

But Cureton Or Whoever Else Coming On As A Sub Is Not! So Holt + Martin + Cody (Subbed In) = MAGIC! [;)]

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

What? I must have missed the period when Jim Brennan was the answer to all our ills. When exactly was that again?
[/quote]

There was a short period in time (can''t remember when, maybe when the wheels fell off about a third of the way through the prem season?) where people on this very message board were calling for Brennan to start. Ok - perhaps I''m exaggerating that poeple thought he was the answer to all our problems - but there were plenty of people assuming that Brennan would be great for us, using the evidence of a few substitute appearances here and there, and reports from Forest fans etc. Anyway, whenever it was, turned out that he wasn''t very good after all.

Cody had a period of games and proved that although he is a hard worker, with pace and a keen eye for goal, he wasn''t taking the chances that came his way. Martin got his chance, and took it. That''s how football works.

I definitely agree that he should be first choice sub ahead of Curo, but Martin is playing well and the combination is working. I also don''t think that Leeds would have struggled with him, they have quite a pacy defence and I don''t think his movement/poaching is yet up to Div 3 football. But he''ll get there.

Watching him actually reminds me of watching Leon in our Prem season - a lot of bluster, hardwork, fist-pumping pacy aggression, but prone to chasing the ball around rather than concentrating on being in the right place at the right time.

[/quote]

[/quote]

No backtrack Smello (geddit?). I like Cody, but I think he''s shown us this season that he''s incredibly raw and probably needs nurturing. I also agree that Martin can appear lazy, but he gets the job done. Players like Lineker, Owen, Earnshaw, Ashton, Berbatov, Le Tissier etc etc etc have all been labelled lazy at some point or another, but managers know they''re effective.

I think Cody is a typical fans favourite. Blood and thunder, chasing and harrying etc, gets the punters on their feet so to speak. But I''ll go with the current stats and say that Martin''s goals are what we need to get us out of this league.

The only way we''ll solve the "who''s got the most potential" debate is to come back in 10 years and see how their careers have panned out... I''d wager Martin goes further in the game.
[/quote]

I think to some extent that Martin suffers from "familiarity breeds contempt"syndrome. There''s no doubt that his attitude in the past has stunk, but the lad is doing really well this season (better than I expected, if I''m honest, because I''ve never been a huge fan). I agree that Cody is exciting and should certainly be coming on ahead of Curo, but he''s still a work in progress.

Last I heard, Martin had scored 5 in 8 and Holty had hit 12 for the season. That''s not a partnership i''d be breaking up too quickly...

Martin does drift in and out of games, but I think his technique is excellent. His shot to goal ratio is fairly productive I would say, however he doesn''t get many shots away during games which is a shame and his heading needs much improvement.

Remember Martin was being touted up for a Premiership club a few seasons ago, and he is clearly twice the player now to then.

Cody Mac is an excellent impact sub, his stamina and speed is what is required against tiring defenders. However I don''t think over 90 minutes he is a better player than Martin, and I don''t feel he has a forging partnership with Holty. However, you may argue this partnership has yet to be seen (bar Colchester).

I hope he gets a start in the JPT to give Holt/Martin a rest.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No backtrack Smello (geddit?). I like Cody, but I think he''s shown us this season that he''s incredibly raw and probably needs nurturing. I also agree that Martin can appear lazy, but he gets the job done. Players like Lineker, Owen, Earnshaw, Ashton, Berbatov, Le Tissier etc etc etc have all been labelled lazy at some point or another, but managers know they''re effective.

I think Cody is a typical fans favourite. Blood and thunder, chasing and harrying etc, gets the punters on their feet so to speak. But I''ll go with the current stats and say that Martin''s goals are what we need to get us out of this league.

The only way we''ll solve the "who''s got the most potential" debate is to come back in 10 years and see how their careers have panned out... I''d wager Martin goes further in the game.
[/quote]

It''s just getting to be a habit ''Monk''....(geddit?) I''m not disputin'' you Rasputin...so don''t get mad...''Monk''. I just think that because Holt is an industrious and really hard-working Centre-Forward - and I''m so very impressed with Holty - as he certainly puts in the effort...I just think that Cody will complement Holt, and with Cody playing alongside Holt, it will assist Holt''s impressive workload - and maybe allow him the odd bit of a breather.

Martin plays at a canter, and although scoring the odd goal, needs to up his game and increase his personal effort. Keep an eye on him when he next plays at Carra, as the FA Cup game at Li''l Brizzle don''t count....(Even if Cody''s picked, and tortures them!)

Cody is I concur, somewhat ''raw''.... but he ''busies'' himself - and although lacking in the professional experience department, he''s come from the non-league and has a hunger.....and I feel he appreciates his good-fortune to be playing at this level, and has made some improvement in his transition from non-league Saturday soccer scaffolder - to earning a deserved pro-contract. Martin came on the scene with a bang, then thought that he''d made it and that he was the finished article....Then he lost his way a bit, gained weight, and created all those well documented misdemeanors in his social and personal life. Then was shipped out to Luton to get his head sorted....

Since Martin''s return, he seems to have realised that he isn''t ''all that'' and has matured....But, for him to maintain his name on the team-sheet, he''s got to give it more effort and not totally rely on Holt to create for him and do all the groundwork.

Would Martin have squared it for Holty yesterday like Cody did in the dying minutes, or would he have gone for the glory?...(Would Martin have gone in for the challenge and won the ball in the first place?)....

If Cody is given more of a chance...(He''s not the second coming of Jim Brennan, Coote or Leon) I believe two seasons will be sufficient to indicate to the Carra faithful, that Cody is better, and has more to offer, than Chrissy Boy.....

My monastery is definitely on Cody to shine....''Monk''.

[quote user="Largey"]

Last I heard, Martin had scored 5 in 8 and Holty had hit 12 for the season. That''s not a partnership i''d be breaking up too quickly...

Martin does drift in and out of games, but I think his technique is excellent. His shot to goal ratio is fairly productive I would say, however he doesn''t get many shots away during games which is a shame and his heading needs much improvement.

Remember Martin was being touted up for a Premiership club a few seasons ago, and he is clearly twice the player now to then.

Cody Mac is an excellent impact sub, his stamina and speed is what is required against tiring defenders. However I don''t think over 90 minutes he is a better player than Martin, and I don''t feel he has a forging partnership with Holty. However, you may argue this partnership has yet to be seen (bar Colchester).

[/quote]

I actually quite like Chris Martin as a player but I''m not sure if he''ll give us enough across a full season to get us out of this league. I still think we could do with someone better to go with Holt.

And as for the Premiership thing... that was only because he had a bright start to his career so there was bound to be a little bit of speculation but I think we all know he''s a very long way off that standard of football.

It''s just getting to be a habit ''Monk''....(geddit?) I''m not disputin'' you Rasputin...so don''t get mad...''Monk''. I just think that because Holt is an industrious and really hard-working Centre-Forward - and I''m so very impressed with Holty - as he certainly puts in the effort...I just think that Cody will complement Holt, and with Cody playing alongside Holt, it will assist Holt''s impressive workload - and maybe allow him the odd bit of a breather.

Martin plays at a canter, and although scoring the odd goal, needs to up his game and increase his personal effort. Keep an eye on him when he next plays at Carra, as the FA Cup game at Li''l Brizzle don''t count....(Even if Cody''s picked, and tortures them!)

Cody is I concur, somewhat ''raw''.... but he ''busies'' himself - and although lacking in the professional experience department, he''s come from the non-league and has a hunger.....and I feel he appreciates his good-fortune to be playing at this level, and has made some improvement in his transition from non-league Saturday soccer scaffolder - to earning a deserved pro-contract. Martin came on the scene with a bang, then thought that he''d made it and that he was the finished article....Then he lost his way a bit, gained weight, and created all those well documented misdemeanors in his social and personal life. Then was shipped out to Luton to get his head sorted....

Since Martin''s return, he seems to have realised that he isn''t ''all that'' and has matured....But, for him to maintain his name on the team-sheet, he''s got to give it more effort and not totally rely on Holt to create for him and do all the groundwork.

Would Martin have squared it for Holty yesterday like Cody did in the dying minutes, or would he have gone for the glory?...(Would Martin have gone in for the challenge and won the ball in the first place?)....

If Cody is given more of a chance...(He''s not the second coming of Jim Brennan, Coote or Leon) I believe two seasons will be sufficient to indicate to the Carra faithful, that Cody is better, and has more to offer, than Chrissy Boy.....

My monastery is definitely on Cody to shine....''Monk''.

[/quote]Ha! That''s a funny post, and I can''t really argue with any of it. Martin would certainly NOT have chased the ball down, he would most definitely NOT have squared it to Holty BUT he would most likely have scored with his shot. He''s an arse without question, and I would have thought he doesn''t rate highly in the humility scale. I just have a feeling that as a footballer, he might be the best we have.Funny, Roeder was a twunt but he had Martin bang to rights from day one. Fat little twirp who thinks he''s better than he is, get him off to Luton pronto. Could Roeder be the making of young Chris?As for Cody, I can see him staying here for years (or at least I hope) and being third choice striker, impact sub and starter in place of injury. Kind of how Gossy was back in the day - a reliable and able deputy. Our Solskjaer, if you like. Whether he''s got the finesse to make it as a first choice number one striker, we shall see! You''re right, he''d make a good foil for Holt.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mello Yello"]Cody''s the future.....Let him start a few games......give Martin and Co, something to think about.[/quote]

Martin''s younger than Cody! So how can Cody be the future?
[/quote]

What''s age got to do with it?....I''d rather see Cody before Martin. Martin''s been around in Pro fooball longer than Cody. But I feel that Cody has more to offer than Martin.....Rather than whether one is older or younger.

Martin isn''t the future of this club.

Martin is lazy....Cody has energy.

[/quote]

Martin can put the ball in the net though...not Cody''s strong point. 6 wins in 7 with Martin & Holt up top - this would indicate that we don''t need to be changing too much. Cody is currently best used as an impact sub. His time will come.

Cody Mac certainly has his strengths, but Martin and Holt have hit 18 goals between them (I think) this season. When was the last time we had a front pairing who had scored that many goals in an entire season, let alone a third of one?! There''s simply no way Lambert can change them up barring injury or fatigue. To call Martin lazy is grossly unfair - just because he doesn''t have Cody''s pace and/or run about like a headless chicken doesn''t mean he doesn''t work hard - he is a very good player positionally, and a tremendous finisher from around the edge of the area.Yes he has areas of his game to work on (heading springs to mind), and tends to drift in and out of games, but he''s troubled so many good teams this season by cutting in from a wide position. Anybody who thinks McDonald deserves a place over Martin, given our current form and the fact we''re top scorers in the league, obviously needs their heads checked. That being said, I would certainly like to see him given more 20/25 minute roles as he had against Stockport, as he gives the opponents defenders something to think about with his pace and pressuring, and I do believe he can help us close tight games out more comfortably.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Largey"]

[/quote]

I actually quite like Chris Martin as a player but I''m not sure if he''ll give us enough across a full season to get us out of this league. I still think we could do with someone better to go with Holt.

And as for the Premiership thing... that was only because he had a bright start to his career so there was bound to be a little bit of speculation but I think we all know he''s a very long way off that standard of football.

[/quote]

Going by Martins current goalscoring form, I''d happily say he will give us his fair share of goals throughout this season. I cannot think of another forward pair in this league with more goals between them (there may be one but not from my memory!). From what I have seen at Carrow Road and TV away matches, Martin''s shooting technique, and close-control dribbling, is possibly better....or at least more natural than Holtys. Or just looks less awkward. Either way, they have been working very well together and alongside Hoolahan. I don''t see McDonald as a 15/20 goal a season striker, but I do see him as an impact striker.

[quote user="Largey"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Largey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Going by Martins current goalscoring form, I''d happily say he will give us his fair share of goals throughout this season. I cannot think of another forward pair in this league with more goals between them (there may be one but not from my memory!). From what I have seen at Carrow Road and TV away matches, Martin''s shooting technique, and close-control dribbling, is possibly better....or at least more natural than Holtys. Or just looks less awkward. Either way, they have been working very well together and alongside Hoolahan. I don''t see McDonald as a 15/20 goal a season striker, but I do see him as an impact striker.

[/quote]

He''s done ok recently but it''s a long season and he''s got to keep working. As long as he''s scoring goals then fair enough but if the goals dry up a bit then he probably doesn''t give you enough. He''s still prone to being too lazy and casual. But he has got good ability and he can score goals, although he''s not a natural goalscorer as such.

We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with.
[/quote]

I don''t think putting Cody on from the start is a major overhaul with the squad....There have been a few changes in the majority of positions (some enforced, for whatever)....

If he''s not doing well, bring Martin off the bench...

We need to get Cody up to speed.....Holt will at some stage, be sidelined.

Why are we always obsessed with breaking up something that is working. McDonald is doing well from the bench. When the others (i.e Martin) stop contributing over a couple of games then is the time to change, Martin contributed on  Saturday he won a cruical penalty and has been scoring regularly before that.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with.
[/quote]

I don''t think putting Cody on from the start is a major overhaul with the squad....There have been a few changes in the majority of positions (some enforced, for whatever)....

[/quote]

There will be the main problem - there is no-one in the squad who can give us what Holt does - all of our other forwards are what you would call "second" strikers who can play off Holt. Martin and Cody don''t feel like a natural partnership....

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with. [/quote]

[/quote]No, not a major overhaul - you''re just breaking up a 20-goal partnership after only a third of the season! Besides which, Cody is STILL unproven, whilst Martin continues to score at a decent rate. If we need to change the front two due to injury/suspension/poor form then Cody definitely deserves a start - but seriously, why would you want to change things up when we''re leading goal scorers in the league? What do you think starting with Cody can actually improve, results-wise?

I do think it''d be an idea to start with Cody Saturday, give him the chance to grab a couple goals and keep his confidence up.

[quote user="Largey"]

[/quote]for the last time can i reiterate im not suggesting Cody should start ahead of Martin, just that he should be coming on as sub more regular and certainly ahead of Cureton.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with. [/quote]Fu$k sake im getting pi$$ed off now, what is wrong with the retards who cant read a fu$%ing post properly.Now where on this post have i said that Martin and Holt should be broken up and Cody should be starting, so ill say it one more time.CODY SHOULD BE SUBBED ON MUCH MORE THAN HE HAS BEEN AS HE HAS ALWAYS MADE AN IMPACT WHEN HE HAS COME ON, AND ALWAYS ALWAYS AHEAD OF CURETON.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with. [/quote]how someone can completely miss the point of this thread when its been mentioned at least 3 times is beyond me!!!!!!

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with. [/quote]how someone can completely miss the point of this thread when its been mentioned at least 3 times is beyond me!!!!!![/quote]Welcome to the internet!

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with. [/quote]how someone can completely miss the point of this thread when its been mentioned at least 3 times is beyond me!!!!!![/quote]But seriously Barclayman, why would you want to start Cody over Martin at this point in time?

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]We are winning virtually every game so how anyone can make a case for changing the team is beyond me! Chris Martin & Grant Holt are getting us the goals unless we start losing thats the partnership we should stick with.
[/quote]

how someone can completely miss the point of this thread when its been mentioned at least 3 times is beyond me!!!!!!
[/quote]

So, just to be clear, you''re saying that Cody should be used as a sub more often, not that the Holt/Martin partnership should be broken up?

Just checking[;)]