Sign in to follow this  
Darren Lamb

OT: Who else thinks...

Who else thinks that the ''post count'' number should be abolished and people should be able to rate posts instead? I have noticed there is a lot of dross posted on here by people who just want their post count to grow and sometimes it seems to be a competetion on who has posted the most. It should be about quality not quantity. Only my (probably naive) opinion, and i''m only 16 so go easy on the replies please! I know it''s in the wrong forum hence OT so please don''t shoot me down for that, and Pete, don''t hesitate to move it if you want to. Saying that I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now, and there are a lot of great posters who''s post I do enjoy reading.

Cheers

welcome to the site, quite right it should be about quality not quantity but would be very difficult to judge this. This site has gone doen the pan since the mods left but I guess it was expensive to maintain.

[quote user="NCFC"]Who else thinks that the ''post count'' number should be abolished and people should be able to rate posts instead? I have noticed there is a lot of dross posted on here by people who just want their post count to grow and sometimes it seems to be a competetion on who has posted the most. It should be about quality not quantity. Only my (probably naive) opinion, and i''m only 16 so go easy on the replies please! I know it''s in the wrong forum hence OT so please don''t shoot me down for that, and Pete, don''t hesitate to move it if you want to. Saying that I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now, and there are a lot of great posters who''s post I do enjoy reading. Cheers[/quote]

Sounds good to me, would give this a 4.5 star [;)]

[quote user="NCFC"]Who else thinks that the ''post count'' number should be abolished and people should be able to rate posts instead? I have noticed there is a lot of dross posted on here by people who just want their post count to grow and sometimes it seems to be a competetion on who has posted the most. It should be about quality not quantity. Only my (probably naive) opinion, and i''m only 16 so go easy on the replies please! I know it''s in the wrong forum hence OT so please don''t shoot me down for that, and Pete, don''t hesitate to move it if you want to. Saying that I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now, and there are a lot of great posters who''s post I do enjoy reading. Cheers[/quote]

Tbh I never really look at people''s post count. There are several posters I will always read, but generally if a thread looks interesting I''ll dip into it. I think very few posters actually post to get their count up, but there are a few who seem to crave attention.

As for quality, you''re never going to get consistency. I think most of us will post at length when we have a strong opinion, but will equally post throwaway single liners on other occasions.

[quote user="NCFC"]Who else thinks that the ''post count'' number should be abolished and people should be able to rate posts instead? I have noticed there is a lot of dross posted on here by people who just want their post count to grow and sometimes it seems to be a competetion on who has posted the most. It should be about quality not quantity. Only my (probably naive) opinion, and i''m only 16 so go easy on the replies please! I know it''s in the wrong forum hence OT so please don''t shoot me down for that, and Pete, don''t hesitate to move it if you want to. Saying that I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now, and there are a lot of great posters who''s post I do enjoy reading.

Cheers[/quote]Easy for a man with 20 posts to say [:P]

Who else thinks that OT posts should be posted in the "It''s not just football" (i.e. Anything else you wish to talk about... ) section & not in the Norwich City section.

Then they wouldn''t be OT, would they.

Personaly I agree. For too long have we had to put up with postcount hunters and people who claim to make more sense because of their post count.Rating people''s posts would also allow us to take a stance without having to actually type anything in reply. A really good idea, althought it would be hard to do for every single post - maybe the original post.

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="NCFC"]Who else thinks that the ''post count'' number should be abolished and people should be able to rate posts instead? I have noticed there is a lot of dross posted on here by people who just want their post count to grow and sometimes it seems to be a competetion on who has posted the most. It should be about quality not quantity. Only my (probably naive) opinion, and i''m only 16 so go easy on the replies please! I know it''s in the wrong forum hence OT so please don''t shoot me down for that, and Pete, don''t hesitate to move it if you want to. Saying that I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now, and there are a lot of great posters who''s post I do enjoy reading.

Cheers[/quote]Easy for a man with 20 posts to say [:P][/quote]

20 quality posts i''ll have you know!! [:P]

[quote user="Making Plans"]

Who else thinks that OT posts should be posted in the "It''s not just football" (i.e. Anything else you wish to talk about... ) section & not in the Norwich City section.

Then they wouldn''t be OT, would they.

[/quote]

I do agree,but i don''t think this thread is actually ''OT''!!

Rating posts seems pointless. What possible purpose would it serve?  Ratings normally end up being abused by those who disagree and don''t rate quality at all, just whether or not people agree with the comment.

As for people making comments so they can have a higher count and therefore claim to be more of an authority on issues, I think that is a silly but ultimately harmless way for them to spend their empty lives.  Let them have their hobby.  I should know because I have over 1500 comments. 

(I''ve never actually read a comment claiming to have more insight and then use the comment count as proof of same, but this accusation keeps getting made.)

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Rating posts seems pointless. What possible purpose would it serve?  Ratings normally end up being abused by those who disagree and don''t rate quality at all, just whether or not people agree with the comment.

As for people making comments so they can have a higher count and therefore claim to be more of an authority on issues, I think that is a silly but ultimately harmless way for them to spend their empty lives.  Let them have their hobby.  I should know because I have over 1500 comments. 

(I''ve never actually read a comment claiming to have more insight and then use the comment count as proof of same, but this accusation keeps getting made.)

[/quote]

4.5 [Y]

I''m with Beauseant on this, I never look at people''s post count but do look out for my favourite posters and then any thread subjects which interest me.

Personally I couldn''t give a stuff either way but rating is BS, because the ones who hold it high value will have two log ins and rate their own shiite.

yes

[quote user="Gaz Milno"]and this is one example of dross post
[/quote]

One post in  over 3 years.Good going[Y]

The 1st 3 replies on page 2 demonstrate why I don''t think your suggestion would work. I undestand why you made it and think it is a valid point. I never look at the post counts because I think they are irrelevant, so much so that they may as well not be displayed. What point do they serve?

[quote user="cityangel"]

I''m with Beauseant on this, I never look at people''s post count but do look out for my favourite posters and then any thread subjects which interest me.

[/quote]

Agreed [Y]

If someone has something constructive and informative to deabte about, then who cares what post count they have?!!

The only thing that bugs me, is the petty personal insults/attacks that are put on here due to a difference in opinion.

Nee Nah Nee Nah Nee Nah....................... calling all forum police, calling all forum police[;)]