Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

If the worse should happen on Saturday!

What would your reaction be?

For the first 30 seconds I''d probably sit in stunned silence, then, start laughing!

Why? Its the FA Cup, and this always seems to happen every year (ask Leeds!) then no doubt I''d rub my hands together at the thought of Tranmere trying to cope with the backlash of this at Carrow Road.

How would you react against a Paulton victory?

With a much bigger audience than usual (being on itv) we would once again be the laughing stock of english football so that for me, as somebody as already said be as bad as the 7-1 defeat....possibly even worse as it''s on tv.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

For the first 30 seconds I''d probably sit in stunned silence, then, start laughing!

Why? Its the FA Cup, and this always seems to happen every year (ask Leeds!) then no doubt I''d rub my hands together at the thought of Tranmere trying to cope with the backlash of this at Carrow Road.

[/quote]

To be honest mate I would most likely be a tad embarassed , then i''d have a good giggle.  This competition really doesn''t hold much of a place in my heart, so I would sooner they concentrate on the league.

Vaguely remember a "what if" thread before the Col Who game! Didn''t bode well did it? I''ll be mortified if we don''t give a decent account of ourselves and win well on Saturday. All of you who are making out that you''d be philosophical are taking the mick! If we lose this board will be vitriolic in the extreme as you well know.

Leeds lost at Histon last year and ITV tried to big it up as one of the biggest upsets ever-and,looking at the clubs, who they were and their histories, yes, fair enough...

...but it was pretty much forgotten 24 hours later, Leeds certainly didn''t have it hanging around their necks and just got on with things. I think, in the end, more people were shocked they lost the play off s/f against Millwall than the Histon game.

Man Utd "only" drew at Burton not so long ago. That was when Burton were non-league. It raised some interest at the time, but no-one made that big a deal of it, and, when they won the replay, it was forgotten.

If we lose, yes, there will be pictures of the Paulton manager being drenched in champagne as he''s interviewed post-match, and Tydesley will descend into hyperbole, but life will go on and, by Sunday afternoon, it''ll be gone.

[quote user="Romantic"]Vaguely remember a "what if" thread before the Col Who game! Didn''t bode well did it?

I''ll be mortified if we don''t give a decent account of ourselves and win well on Saturday. All of you who are making out that you''d be philosophical are taking the mick! If we lose this board will be vitriolic in the extreme as you well know.
[/quote]

Alas, I fear you''ll be right Romantic.[:(]

[quote user="Romantic"]Vaguely remember a "what if" thread before the Col Who game! Didn''t bode well did it?

I''ll be mortified if we don''t give a decent account of ourselves and win well on Saturday. All of you who are making out that you''d be philosophical are taking the mick! If we lose this board will be vitriolic in the extreme as you well know.
[/quote]

Alas, I fear you''ll be right Romantic.[:(]

[/quote]

Agreed, but it''s not going to happen.

Do you remember what you said about Tamworth Wiz?

If we lose on Saturday it will surely be the most embarrassing defeat ever? Or does embarrassing only count off the pitch now.

The Cup throws up shocks and if Paulton turn us over then good luck to them (although I don''t think they will!).

In order for us to lose we would have to play really badly. If we do, the players will get a monumental bollocking which will serve to motivate them further for the real business of getting us back up. Consequently I''m not worrying too much either way

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Do you remember what you said about Tamworth Wiz?

If we lose on Saturday it will surely be the most embarrassing defeat ever? Or does embarrassing only count off the pitch now.

[/quote]

Oh come on Nigel, Wizard can''t remember if the last fart came from him or his wife. [:D]

If Paulton are the lowest-ranked club left in the FA Cup that puts them below Lowesoft. If we really do fail to beat a team ranked at that level in the football hierarchy then I for one lwill ook forward to attending the public hanging at the Castle of the eleven players who represent us on the day together with the management team. It might happen once in say fifty matches but we''re a different outfit now under Lambert and Saturday will comfortably be one of the forty nine other occasions.

While in the scheme of things the result wouldn''t mean that much. Haven''t we been embarrased enough for one season, I am pretty nervous about Saturday it really is a no win situation. I trust Lambert to get the players in the right frame of mind though, with Gunn still in charge it would have been squeaky bum time.

I think it has already been covered fairly extensively, but we really can''t afford to lose Holt or Hoolihan to a clumsy late tackle from a plumber who plays football at the weekends. Talk of disrespecting Paulton or the Cup is sentimental sillyness. I wouldn''t pack the team full of younger players as the TV cameras will be there and ITV will be saying "David Vs Goliath", "banana skin", "giant killing" and 101 other cliches as much as humanly possible on Saturday but for the good of our season we need to rest/protect the senior pros who are unreplaceable.

Players like Drury, Nelson and Gill should have the leadership and experience to keep younger heads focused and the younger guys like Cody, Smith and Adeyemi have a good mixture of experince and youthful exubarance to make the game against Paulton comfortable.

And the end of the day, we lose whatever happens. If(when) we win, it won''t be by enough goals and plucky Paulton could of won it if they had been given that penalty/scored the half-chance/not been caught off-side etc etc

Looking forward to seeing the game on TV and hopefully seeing some players I have only read about Dumic, Stephens, Dawkins.

I guess the team will be; Rudd, Dumic, Nelson, Doc, Drury, McVeigh, Smith, Gill, Lappin, Cody, Martin

Whoops, forgot about Askou who will probably play instead of Doc. Also forget to mention I wouldn''t be surprised to hear about some "knocks" picked up by players in training over the next couple of days. Knocks meaning "We don''t want them to get really injured on Saturday, but don''t want to look arrogant"

[quote user="pete_norw"]Now that reminds me, must change the bateries in my pacemaker[/quote]

Good man lol [url=http://www.tech-faq.com/emoticons/happiness/emoticons.shtml][img]http://www.tech-faq.com/emoticons/happiness/Content_26.gif[/img][/url]

[/quote]

curl in a ball

[quote user="london Canary"]

With a much bigger audience than usual (being on itv) we would once again be the laughing stock of english football so that for me, as somebody as already said be as bad as the 7-1 defeat....possibly even worse as it''s on tv.

[/quote]

and against worse opposititon!

[/quote]I''d start a thread called "It''s All Doc''s Fault! [:@]"  Even if he didn''t play.  Then I''d  start another thread on Monday called "Thanks Delia!", one on Tuesday called "I''m not saying Lambert should go, but...." and another on Thursday called "Come on Tranmere!" in which I hope for Tranmere to beat Norwich so Smith will sell up and be bought out by a consortium I''ve heard strong rumours about.