Sign in to follow this  
kirku

BBC Rumour Page - Chris Holroyd

Norwich and Bournemouth are competing for the signature of Cambridge United striker Chris Holroyd. (Daily Star)Although the original source is the Daily Star so probably not the most reliable of rumours. Anyone heard of him or have any opinions? From a quick look at wiki he started out in Crewe''s academy, moved to Chester where his scoring record was awful and on to Cambs where he''s got roughly a 1 in 2 ratio.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Holroyd

The roots of this story are at the Cambridge end - Norwich and Bournemouth have watched him home and away but so have Ipswich and Leeds.  He would not be available until January.

The rules on loans are so lax that we could get away with loaning him until January I suspect. That''s what we did before we signed Etuhu permanently from Preston if I remember rightly.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]So is he a target man or a goal poacher?  I cannot open the wiki link at the start of the post because I am on a work computer btw.[/quote][img]http://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/javaImages/6b/36/0,,10423~3749483,00.jpg[/img]Certainly doesn''t look like a target man and is described on the Cambridge official webby as a, ''pacy striker''. Sounds similar to Cody imho.

I did some more digging around on the Cambs webby and found this info:

Name:Chris Holroyd
Nationality:English
Date of Birth:24/10/1986
Height:5'' 11" (180cm)
Weight:12st 3lbs (77.63kg)

[quote user="Beauseant"]Surely defensive cover is more of a priority at present?[/quote]

100% agree - we are not exactly struggling for goals at the moment but we do look thin on cover at the back.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Grant, Martin & Hoolahan are all scoring goals and we''ve Cureton & Macdonald in back up who have proven they can score goals when played at this level. We need defenders.
[/quote]

Unless one or some of them are off in January???

[quote user="Beauseant"]Surely defensive cover is more of a priority at present?[/quote]Sometimes the best form of defence is attack!

[quote user="AJ"]
Sometimes the best form of defence is attack!
[/quote]

It seldoms works in the long term though - Newcastle under Keegan the first time were great to watch but they didn''t win anything at the end of the day.

[quote user="scrimmage"]He''s shit as are all cambridge players, average at conference level but not sure he could make the step.
[/quote]

I take it this opinion is formed from watching him play? If so, how pacey is he?

We are looking at defensive cover ref. the right-back problem but it is still wise to monitor young talent in all areas and non-league and lower leagues all have talent eager to progress .

We now need to shop in these groups as we are in financial crisis and will probably need to sell in January .

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Grant, Martin & Hoolahan are all scoring goals and we''ve Cureton & Macdonald in back up who have proven they can score goals when played at this level. We need defenders.
[/quote]

That''s five. Some managers insist that they need six strikers in a squad. Don''t know if Lambert is a member of that school.

OTBC

I still think that getting players like him are riskless and we should always give it a go, they normally don''t cost a lot.

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="scrimmage"]He''s shit as are all cambridge players, average at conference level but not sure he could make the step.[/quote]

I take it this opinion is formed from watching him play? If so, how pacey is he?

[/quote]Yeah I''ve seen him a few times. He is pretty fast but Cody is faster and a better finisher, from what I''ve seen, Holroyd has a habit of missing easy chances where Cody would tuck them away (like he has been doing when given the opportunity).

Just come back from Cambridge press conference. No interest in Holroyd at the moment.

He''s an out-and-out goal poacher. Was a little light weight last season, much stronger now. Good turn of pace, knows where the back of the net is. Bit too soon for step up though. Could do with another year at Conference level.

[quote user="Barnzy"]Looks a bit of a shirt lifter to me - no thanks.[/quote]

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Didnt we chase this guy in the summer?  Allegedly?

I think we will need an eventual replacement for Cureton.  Whether another striker is priority at this exact moment in time is a pertinent question - although a few weeks ago Im sure most people would have thought we were overstocked with Right Backs - especially as clubs often go for ''2 in each position''.  What would we do if Holt, Cody and Curo all had hamstring problems?