Sign in to follow this  
Wells Canary

Thoughts on Worthington this season

The step up to this level of football has been a learning experiance for him. It has taken him a lot of time to work who his best team is, best formation and best positions.

On the transfer front Worthy is also learning how to deal with agents, big clubs and big money (being asked, not pent).

Even though we knew that we would be promoted by the end of April, as a club, we are still very much 1st Division in mind set.

I know it''s a cliche, but I think this season has been a massive learning curve for all of us.  Players, management, board and fans.  Personally, if you had told me where we would be at new year during the summer, I''d have grabbed it with both hands.

Some of Nige''s tactics/ substiutions this season have been questionable to say the least.  However, we haven''t dropped like a stone and even though we''re in the bottom 3, I feel proud of the way we have displayed ourselves this season.  We haven''t been an embaressement at all.  Even if we go down we can still be proud of how we have performed I feel.

I''m still 100% sure that Nige is the right man for the job.  This club needs stability.  During our 9 years in the wilderness we had inept manager after inept manager (excluding Martin O''Neil of course!)  If we do down, we need someone who knows what it''s like at that level, who knows what to expect from the players.  Personally I don''t think we will go down though and if Nige does keep us up, I think it''ll a massive achievement for a relitively new manager who has had little cash to spend

Whilst I admire what Worthington has done for the club I wish he would think before he makes some of the comments he does.

The most consistently used statement - I couldn''t fault the players commitment or effort - means what;

a) the players we have are not good enough

b) the tactics were wrong

c) the coaching is not good enough

I do not think a is correct but I think b & c might be.

Now we are two days away from January he will talk to the board about who to sign in the window surely this was done (or should have been done) weeks ago. Please Mr Worthington say nothing if that makes it easier but don''t treat us like plonkers.

Now we''ve run out of fit first team players, had a few pops at some of the kids it must be time to turn on Worthington ...... but don''t worry we''ll be onto the board very shortly ..... oh yeah there it is further up the page ......... well a very happy new year to all the moaners.

Al, I think YOU have hit the nail on the head.

There are two trains of thought on this one IMHO, you are either in the "Worthy''s got no tactics" camp, or the "It''s a learning curve for all, including Worthy" camp.

I''m in the latter. hang me.

Its not Nigel Worthington who is making dumb mistakes on the field .........   nor is it him  missing scoring chances  !  ......   its time for some of our players to get their fingers out  and  get the basics right ! .......... 

[quote]WHAT BLOODY TATICS?????????????????[/quote]

your right. When you watch match of the day you get alan hanson and mark lawrenson analysing matches and pointing out the tactics. Eg (porstmouth not giving chelsea any time on the ball and sending loads of players towards the ball). Iv never really seen Noriwich show anything in the form of that. But that may just be because this is our first season and we are still learning from that

Agreed it is a learning curve. But I don''t want to put this season down to that. I want us to stay up! If we keep playing we the same tactics we will go down.

REMEMBER IF YOU DON''T SHOOT YOU DON''T SCORE.

Maybe Nigel should keep reading that statement.................

I think Nigel''s done Okay. Some hard decisions have been taken such as dropping Holt, Drury and Bentley when they lost form. He has got the players playing the type of attacking football we want- he hasn''t tried to shut up shop and he does get full commitment from them (most of the time!)

On the minus side, the treatment of some of the summer signings has been a bit perplexing. Helveg only seems to play now because others are unfit. Just why was Gary Doherty signed at all? My biggest criticism is the organisation of the team- too often we don''t seem to know who is closing down who with the result that a striker pops up unmarked and bingo we are 1-0 down.

The other two big faults for me are the standard of pasisng which in some games has been woeful, and the lack of a big reliable dominant centre half- please please please get someone in January or play young Shackell.

i think the new formation gets all our players playing to their very best. Bently, Jonson, Safri - they have all came to life with this new formation, and svensson has looked very comftable in this for formation....

Id like to see him keep it the same, maybe we can get a few wins after this injury crisis is over!!!