Sign in to follow this  
Archie

First game

Was wondering what everyone''s first game was etc etc
Mine was Swindon away 1992/3 season, we drew 3-3, i was five
everyone else?????

mine was against BLackburn when we were still in the prem. it was just after Sutton had left us and lo and behold he scored in the fourth minute of the game. But we came back and won the game 2-1. Chants of ''Gunny whats the score'' echoed around as he raised his figures reflecting the scoreline to the crowd

Against Ipswich, I think, in 1952-53 season...I think we won the game. I only remember one thing and that was if a little guy like Johnny Gavin could do so well then maybe I could too.

What a good idea for a thread, Archie.

1971 (Oh my God. I''m as old as the hills), the Division One Championship winning season vs Cardiff City. We won 2-1 and I can remember one of our goals was scored by David Cross.

"Da- vid Cross!" *clap, clap, clap, clap, clap*

(There''s an idea for another thread....Barclay terrace chants from the seventies!)

I had been begging my Dad to take me with him for a long time (I was seven years old) and he finally caved in and agreed to let me come to game. My Grandad was there too, I can remember him joking with all his cronies who sat around him that he musn''t swear now, with his little Grandson sitting there listening. It didn''t happen of course, within 10 minutes of the game starting I was stunned to see my normally mild mannered and sweet Grandad leaping out of his seat, hurling abuse at the Cardiff City winger and giving our full back Geoff Butler some rather unorthodox tactical advice along the lines of...."Oi! Butler! Kick the nippy little ------ in the --------''s, that''ll slow the ------- down a bit!"

I looked at my Grandad with awe and wonderment, and instantly loved him even more than before. My Dad was struggling very hard not to laugh, and gave me a look that left me in no doubt what would happen to me if I tried copying any of the exotic new words that I had just learnt.

Grandad is watching from the big stand in the sky these days, bless him. But I listened and learnt from him that day, and I''m sure he''d be proud that his Grandson is carrying on his proud tradition of mercilessly barracking any opposition player who trots over to the Snakepit to try and take a corner.

I can''t recall the game, it was 1957 at Carrow Road after all, and I got a 6 penny transfer from the river end to get a better view from the South stand, when I was ten years old!. But I know Bunny Lakin scored. Ye Gods I should be dead I''m that old!.

1948 NorwichV Southend We lost 2.0 at Home. Hi YC you mentioned johnny Gavin also in an earlier thread Roy Croan not sure of the spelling I played against them for our village when they were in city A 48-49 season. Also Terry Bly when he played for Fincham before his spell at Norwich, that boy was very fast, he played centre forward and I was centre half against him and could only do any thing with him by keeping goal side of him, once he got past me all I saw was his heels. Nowich City was always a club that was very aware of its links with the supporters even in 47-48 they were kind enough to allow us to entertain the A team at our fund raising function. We made a whole day of it and enough money was raised to pay for the reseeding of our newly levelled ground, We drew with them 2-2 in the game. Bill Punton Played as did Johnny Gavin Roy Croan the other names escape me for the time being, But I have an autographed photo somewhere and will post the whole A team at another time. All of them at one time or another finished up playing for the first team. Happy days!

Mine was in the legendary season of 92/93. It was Swindon at home and we drew 0-0. I was painfully bored and i doubt my dad thought would he would be able to get me back to the footy. Well how things have changed! 10 season tickets later and I can''t get enough!!

Norwich v West Brom 1982 or 83 I think. Would have been about 10 or 11. C Regis scored a hat trick for them. The thing I remember most is their shirt sponsor, a big red no smoking banner!!

My first game was in 94/95 season, when we beat Chelsea 3-0 at home. We had just signed Ashley Ward from Crewe and he scored 2 on his debut, then Jamie Cureton scored as soon as he came on as a sub for Mark Robins - what a game! Put us right up the table if I remember then Gunn went and got injured and we slowly started to go in reverse down the table, then got relegated obviously. Also wonder if we could beat them 3-0 now :)

My first game was the first match of the 1984/85 season against Liverpool when we drew 3-3. If memory serves me correctly Keith Bertchin scored for Norwich but had to be substituted straight away afterwards after being concussed by his fellow players during the celebrations. I also recall Steve Bruce scoring an own goal on his debut for the club.

Does anyone else remember this match???

Mine was in 1962 at Kenilworth Road against Luton -my dad took me as we lived in Bedfordshire at that time. I think we won that one but I was only 11 at the time so it''s a bit vague - the next year we went back there again and Luton thumped us 4-2 with a certain Ron Davies scoring 3 or 4 of them for Luton - thankfully we bought him soon after and what a super centre forward he was. I was dismayed when a couple of years later we sold him to Southampton.

Do any of you remember those rattles all us boys used to have to spur the team on - really dangerous for those nearby but super fun and a what a super noise they made.

Hey, My first game was Norwich v Preston in the 2nd rd 2nd leg of the Milk Cup (remember those gotta lotta bottle ads?) Aug 1984, and we beat them 6 - 1.

I went with my Dad for free as I had a card from school that was stamped each time you brought a 1/4 carton of milk. 6 stamps and U got a free ticket !

Anyone remember Joining the Southern League, straight into Division One during the 1905 - 1906 season, boy oh boy those were the days!!
Expect the rest of you young''uns are just happy with a replica Huckerby shirt these days, Pah!! the kids of today know nothing.

1975 home to West Brom won 3-2, taken there by my Dad, now I take him there! It was the game when tickets for the league cup final v Aston Villa were on sale. I remember sitting on the old Riverend terrace at 1pm and thinking that it was huge and empty, by 3pm it was packed over 30,000 there.

1960 (11 years old) - stood at the River End with a couple of mates from school. Can''t remember the match but do remember that we got promotion that year to Division 2. Transferred to the Barclay a couple of years later and spent many a happy year as a "Barclay Boot Boy" :-o)

My favourite song/chant of the times was -

"Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly,
Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury,
Shanks said No I don''t think so,
But Ive heard of the Norwich Barclay,
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah,
Nah nah nah nah nah nah,
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah,
We are the Barclay Boot Boys!!"

Moved back to the River End in my early 20''s when it was still open terraces, and then had a Season Ticket along with one of my sons for a few years in the "new" River End stand. The atmosphere was awful though, far too quiet, so then had quite a few years sitting in the new Main Stand with my (by then) 2 teenage sons and other friends. We then moved back to the Barclay in 1993 and a couple of years there.

From 1996 to 1999 we were only casual visitors to Carrow Road as we were so annoyed about what was happenning "off the pitch", but started attending again on a regular basis in the 200-2001 Season. We are now enjoying our 3rd Season back in the Upper Barclay and sit amongst a good group of supporters...the only problem is where my 2 grandsons are going to sit as it won''t be long before they will want to come...they are both fully "kitted" out in the strip, lol!!

Funny thing is I was talking to a friend the other day who doesn''t follow football...when I asked why he replied, "Because it is tribal." What on earth is he talking about :-o)

0-0 versus Portsmouth in 1969. I ''sat'' in the front railing of the Barclay in the days before the police got sniffy on H&S. My Dad and uncle took me with my cousin Phil who kindly shared some glacier mints, while all I could offer were some iced gems. And it only cost 2 and 6 (12 1/2 p)to get in. Our star players included Stringer, Keelan, Forbes, Kenny Foggo and Tommy Bryceland. It was 3 games later that I saw my first City win versus Millwall (2-1 with goals from Foggo and Sylvester), I clapped so much my hands were saw. I''ve been hooked ever since.

Fulham 4 Norwich 0 in 1974/5, Viv Busby scored so before 1975 Cup Final was my first City Match, but supported Fulham tehen.

First match as a neutral before becoming addicted was City 1 Southampton 0, in Sept/Oct 1982.

At home to Coventry in the Rumbelows Cup in 1990 when I was 10. Sat in the South Stand (well someone had to). Still got the ticket - although it''s not quite as silver as it was when I bought it. In fact, every time I handle it half the colour comes off...

Remember the 3-3 at Swindon well, we should have beaten them. Niel Adams made his debut and Scot Howey played in goal.

Mine was a 2-1 defeat to Luton in 1990, quite a bit older than 5 though

Easter Derby, 1981 vs Ipswich.
Fashanu scored. I don''t remember anything else. We got relegated that season.

Not sure whether it was 1986, 1987 or 1988; but it was away to Oxford and Norwich won 1-0. I was diasappointed at the time, as it was my first ever football match and was supporting Oxford (I''d just moved to Brackley at the time). The goal was scored in the first minute or so and I missed it because I was too short to see to the other end of the pitch. Didn''t realise at the time that my dad (who took me) was a long-standing Norwich fan and was probably secretly chuffed with the result! I started supporting NCFC about 5 years later when football was a frequent topic of conversation amongst my mates. Went with my dad''s (and grandfather''s) team rather than being predictable and picking Liverpool or Man U. To date, the only live game I''ve seen Norwich win was away to Wolves a few years ago (when Martin O''Neill was in charge). If memory serves, NCFC won 2-0 with Andy Johnson and Ashley Ward scoring in the second half after Wolves had dominated the first half. I don''t get to see the team as often I would like due to financial constraints.

vs southampton in i think ''88, i was 10.. ended 1-1, fleck scored infront of the barclay. Seem to remember andy townsend swallowing his tongue but could have later in the season..

First game ever was as ball boy Home to Luton we won 3-2 back in 1980/81 I think. I was sat right infront of the barclay terrace behind the goal. Remember Dennis Van Wyk at full back. First properly attended game was soon after that

Milo do you remember akinbiyi playing, i just seem to remember him being offside almost every time. its odd what you remember - at the swindon game there was a useless ref with a moustache and a good brawl. was it adams newman and sutton who scored????

V. Carlisle 1969. My family had just moved back to the east coast from Peterborough. I had just started supporting the Posh and missed football so a friends Dad took us to see Ipswich who thrashed Man U I think, in front of a big crowd. For some reason I was unimpressed and decided to try Norwich. It was love at 1st sight! Those brilliant yellow shirts, friendly talkative fans and a quirky song about being on the ball or something! I was hooked. We won 2-1 in front of about 9,500 fans. Someone has since told me that this could have been one of Terry Alcocks`last games, If someone could confirm this I would be grateful.

Mine was a rather historic night against Vitesse in 1993 aged 11. My parents aren''t supporters (both hailing from elsewhere), so I got hooked thanks to a school friend who got me a free ticket through the Junior Canaries fan club.