Sign in to follow this  
????

Top Football pundits!....

I was watching lyon vs liverpool before and Marcel Desailly was a guest and talked a lot of sense and was very good. It got me thinking of pundits that i hate and like.

my favorite is probably Jamie Redknapp

and my least is Phil ''pinochio'' Thompson

so who are your favorites and least favorite pundits?

[quote user="Askous Tanker"]I was watching lyon vs liverpool before and Marcel Desailly was a guest and talked a lot of sense and was very good. It got me thinking of pundits that i hate and like.

my favorite is probably Jamie Redknapp

and my least is Phil ''pinochio'' Thompson

so who are your favorites and least favorite pundits?[/quote]least mark bright, carlton palmer and andy grayfav jeff stelling

cant stand steve claridge, jason cundy and perry groves god they talk pap!!

bbc 1 on saturday t time you get, les ferdinand, winterburn, carlron palmer, its wnough to send you to sleep.

give me soccer am everytime, merson, thompson, champaigne charlie and le tiss are quality, cant beat sky,

jamie redknapp is fast becoming very annoying

Stelling is a cock in my eye, very funny at first, but now he does the same thing all the time.

I like Graham Taylor, for commentries, no one can touch radio 5 in my eyes, except Alan Green.

andy gray and martin tyler are a top commentary team

richard keys i like presenting

alan hansons a decent pundit

steve claridge and david pleat get on my nerves

David Pleat, Mark Lawrenson and Gary Birtles are by far the worst, just a constant stream of tedious drivel

I still think the best are Andy Gray, Alan Smith and Don Goodman on Sky although Hansen isn`t bad either

Dion was good on SSN the other night - Geoff Stelling for his great knowledge and unpatronising way with all clubs no matter what level.

Andy (bigger club) Townsend really grates.

Favourite: Martin O''Neill (when he isn''t busy managing!). [Y]Hate: Alan Hansen (because he rarely says anything interesting: "They''ve got pace, power, desire, pace, desire, passion, drive, pace, passion, power, pace, drive, pace and power. And pace... and power. Sensational.") [|-)]

Can''t stand Gabriel Marcotti (Radio Five). A smug patronising Italian with an American accent - why he''s hired is beyond me. 

O''Neill is by far the most intelligent and interesting. Hansen knows his stuff, but is a bit self regarding, Lineker is bland and Lawrenson is awful . I like Andy Gray and Jeff Stelling, but it''s all a bit mundane these days when you were brought up on Cloughy, Dougan, Allison, Crerand and all!

Those were the days, when a panel was likely to end in fisticuffs!

Chris Kamara is good entertainment but not exactly the sharpest tool in the box.  Hansen/Lawro do provide a decent analysis.

Can''t stick Garth Crooks (too boring). 

But the all time best reporter/pundit has to be Stuart Hall for sheer enthusiasm in getting his reports across on the radio even when he has watched a bland 0-0 draw in some bleak wind-swept Northern hell hole in the middle of February.

[quote user="Mazy Run"]Can''t stand Gabriel Marcotti (Radio Five). A smug patronising Italian with an American accent - why he''s hired is beyond me. [/quote]Totally disagree Marcotti is one of the best. He gets a lot of stick because he has an American accent but he is intelligent and knows the game brilliantly. Nobod can top James Richardson though.

[quote user="dhickl"]

The worst group I saw was Les Ferdinand, Mark Bright & Adrian Chiles (http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/2/1883173/ShowPost.aspx#1883173)

In my opinion the best is Lineker, Hansen & Lawrenson (and Dublin!!!)

[/quote]I have to agree with you on the worst group, I can''t stand it when Bright is on commentary, everything he says is like an instruction video and that grates on me. As for Sir Les, he means well but just doesn''t have enough of a vocabulary to make good TV.As for the best, I have to say Lee Dixon is getting better. Instead of ripping into a player for no good reason (like Lawro) he actually has come up with good analysis and gives reasons why. I do still like Lineker and Teddy Sheringham just because of his fake irishman quip to Townsend!

[quote user="king canary"] Nobody can top James Richardson though.
[/quote]

Seconded. AC Jimbo is a legend [:D]

When Sky do their Champions League coverage and have Souness, Hoddle and Gullit on it''s pretty good. Failed managers they maybe but they know their stuff and Souness in particular is never afraid to bruise a few egos. As long as Sky keep Jamie ''Literally'' Redknapp away from the studio I''m happy.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="king canary"] Nobody can top James Richardson though.[/quote]

Seconded. AC Jimbo is a legend [:D]

When Sky do their Champions League coverage and have Souness, Hoddle and Gullit on it''s pretty good. Failed managers they maybe but they know their stuff and Souness in particular is never afraid to bruise a few egos. As long as Sky keep Jamie ''Literally'' Redknapp away from the studio I''m happy.

[/quote]The thing with Sky is that even when Spurs are playing they led Redknapp be a pundit. How is he possibly going to be objective? As for the OP I agree Desilly was good last night.

Desailly is a very good pundit, was impressed with him during last year''s African Cup of Nations especailly as he seemed to forget he is "French".

Unfortunatly there are more bad pundits than good out there at the moment, but seeing as SKY and ITV give them exactly 20 seconds at half time between commercials it doesn''t really matter does it. The worst I have seen recently is Teddy Shermingham, he manages to talk in such general terms it could apply to any game of football - "They aren''t playing very well, so will need to play better". Thanks for that Teddy.

I enjoy the BBCs Final Score program, the puditry isn''t great (not that it matters as we are just watching them watch games) but they do get pretty worked up, especially the always entertaining Garth Crooks, a man that manages to get angry about anything going. He has a very unique style of lean forward, saying something controversial, lean back and watch the fight break out.

I also think Match of the Day is pretty good, not a huge amount of personailty but Hanson, Shearer and co generally give a good round up in the short amount of time they are given. Lawrence is just a wind up merchant and likes to say things that will annoy people but comes out with some great little quotes.

The Football League show is beyond awful and they would be better just showing the highlights without meaningless snipets provided by the guest. There are far to many games to expect one person to have an opinion about them all - let alone know if Rochdale are dropping to deep or if Crewe should play with one up front. I have no idea why they bother with the whole fan''s email bit, I guess it is to make up for the lack of any indepth knowledge about the teams, but the show is already far to long and I feel sorry for whoever wants to see the team that is on last.

Why is Garth Crooks not featuring on everyone''s list?! Chroist he''s dreadful and takes an age to get round to saying anything. One of the best I''ve seen recently was Eduardo (Brazilian chap).

worst are lawrenson, crooks, and anyone who has played for liverpool

best are on sky, apart from phil thompson

[quote user="Mazy Run"]Can''t stand Gabriel Marcotti (Radio Five). A smug patronising Italian with an American accent - why he''s hired is beyond me. [/quote]

He has an actual detailed knowledge of world football?

Kammy is the funniest, i like Shearer sometimes, but he can also be annoying, i really really really hate all commenators...I remeber once when both Kenny and Paul Dalgleish commentated on a game that was funny :d