Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

I'm Furious

What a complete clock Andy Townsend is.

You wouldn''t believe he used to play for us.  His comments about Holt had me raging, with that stupid smirk on his face, the number of times he said "at this level" when referring to Holt.

Sorry for the rage

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

What a complete clock Andy Townsend is.

You wouldn''t believe he used to play for us.  His comments about Holt had me raging, with that stupid smirk on his face, the number of times he said "at this level" when referring to Holt.

Sorry for the rage

[/quote]

I''d love to straighten Townsend''s nose for him.....

Yep Townsend is a clock, but let''s face it; we weren''t going to get balanced coverage today were we?

Beg to differ WAY, loved him as a player and he was instrumental in his time here, shame he hates us and is on par with Garth Crooks in his assessments.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]Beg to differ WAY, loved him as a player and he was instrumental in his time here, shame he hates us and is on par with Garth Crooks in his assessments.[/quote]

I agree, Andy was a better than decent player at Carrow Road.

Why does he always give the impression that he regrets playing for us. On countless occassions on TV down the years he always brushes aside his link to NCFC ... unlike the vast majority of ex-pros.

I think I''m right in thinking that he was zealously rooting for Brum in the Play Off Final coverage a few years back ... and from an ex-Villa man too!

What''s the story?

Didn''t Andy T score the winner for Norwich against Liverscum at Anfield back in about ''88?

Not sure what his problem is but he was a very good player for us and it was also playing for City that helped him get to play for some big clubs. I remember him scoring a quality goal for us in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at Port Vale one very cold afternoon.

Equally funny was the commentator saying that Norwich''s biggest cup win was so long ago that...Andy Townsend was playing for us! http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

Andy did score the winner against Liverpool at Anfield in 88, when we were flying top of the old division 1. Heady days for us. He was an instrumental part of what was an excellent team back then.

Personally I think the reason he never makes a big deal of his time at Norwich, despite the fact he made his name here, is that he didn''t spend a huge part of his career at the club, or living in the area. He played for Chelsea and Villa for a much longer time, and therefore probably has more affection for those clubs, and the cities too. Which might explain why he supported Brum to win in the 02 playoff final as someone claimed above (although I wasn''t aware that he did) as he might have affection for the city itself having lived and worked there for 5 or 6 odd years.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

Andy did score the winner against Liverpool at Anfield in 88, when we were flying top of the old division 1. Heady days for us. He was an instrumental part of what was an excellent team back then.

Personally I think the reason he never makes a big deal of his time at Norwich, despite the fact he made his name here, is that he didn''t spend a huge part of his career at the club, or living in the area. He played for Chelsea and Villa for a much longer time, and therefore probably has more affection for those clubs, and the cities too. Which might explain why he supported Brum to win in the 02 playoff final as someone claimed above (although I wasn''t aware that he did) as he might have affection for the city itself having lived and worked there for 5 or 6 odd years.

[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up.

To be fair to Townsend ... I''m not claiming that he arrived at the studio wearing a BLUES tie and a BCFC balloon but he certainly wanted Birmingham to win!

What a load of twoddle all the commentators were waiting for a cup upset and so against norwich especially Townsend what a clock!!

We did a proffessional job under potentially difficult circumstances!

What was that fact one of the commentators spurned out today something about last time Norwich won and FA Cup game Andy Townsend was in the team but that can''t be right anyone else here this? or could clear it up

In our 1988-89 FA Cup to the Semi-Final, in Round 4 we dumped Sutton Utd out of the cup at Carrow Road 8-0. This is our record cup win. Townsend was part of that excellent team, which came close to doing a league and cup double. The team in full, if I remember correctly was (there or there abouts):

Gunn, Culverhouse, Bowen, Butterworth, Linighan, Townsend, Crook, Gordon, Putney, Fleck, Allen: Subs: Phelen, Rosario, Goss.

A first rate squad by any one''s reckoning.

In our 1988-89 FA Cup to the Semi-Final, in Round 4 we dumped Sutton Utd out of the cup at Carrow Road 8-0. This is our record cup win. Townsend was part of that excellent team, which came close to doing a league and cup double. The team in full, if I remember correctly was (there or there abouts):

Gunn, Culverhouse, Bowen, Butterworth, Linighan, Townsend, Crook, Gordon, Putney, Fleck, Allen: Subs: Phelen, Rosario, Goss.

[/quote]what was the Histon score the other season when Dion and Hucks scored???

[/quote]

I agree, a quality team there.  But looking back at it now, was it the strikeforce, that ultimately stopped us winning the league or cup or both?  Flecky was decent, but where is his quality partner? For a team challenging at the top of Division one (Premiership) you ultimately need imho 3 quality strikers, add two top quality strikers to that team and would our history (and possibly where we are now), have been different?

You can''t live life on if''s, buts and maybe''s, though, so onwards and upwards.

I posted my original post after the half time comments.  I have to admit that the comments after the game about us were much more positive, praising our play and how the team is playing under Lambert and where we are heading.

OTBC

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[/quote]

what was the Histon score the other season when Dion and Hucks scored???
[/quote]

I don''t recall us ever playing Histon. I think we won 4-1 against Tamworth, a non-league team a couple of years ago.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[/quote]

I agree, a quality team there.  But looking back at it now, was it the strikeforce, that ultimately stopped us winning the league or cup or both?  Flecky was decent, but where is his quality partner? For a team challenging at the top of Division one (Premiership) you ultimately need imho 3 quality strikers, add two top quality strikers to that team and would our history (and possibly where we are now), have been different?

You can''t live life on if''s, buts and maybe''s, though, so onwards and upwards.

I posted my original post after the half time comments.  I have to admit that the comments after the game about us were much more positive, praising our play and how the team is playing under Lambert and where we are heading.

OTBC

[/quote]

Looking back, I think the reason why we ultimately failed to win the league or cup was a combination of lack of depth to the squad, and the fact that we couldn''t adapt to changing pitch and weather conditions. The team Dave Stringer built was superb at the start of the season when the pitches were excellent as we relied on passing the ball through midfield. But as pitches deteriorated throughout the season, this tactical approach began to fall apart, and we never really had a back up plan. But it was an excellent team.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

agreed.. our most succesful period came with Robins, Sutton and Ekoku in the side.. if we had signed Ekoku just 1 month earlier than we did we''d of been Premier League champions im convinced.. those 3 would of torn everyone asunder!