Sign in to follow this  
Colorado Canary

Most Celebrated City Goal

Forgot to say, didn''t see Malky''s second against Wolves. I made it to Wolverhampton, but didn''t get back to Norwich for the first leg. The stupid pub we were watching the game in near Reading turned over to the Premiership bang on 4pm (or whenever it was) and we missed the last two minutes of injury time. Everyone in the pub was watching our game, a mix of Norwich and Wolves, by the time they flicked it back I thought we were celebrating a little too much for a 2-1 win, then they showed a goal we''d not seen and it all started to make sense!

I think the stadium pretty much erupted when Hucks scored from a tight angle (deflected in?) in the promotion season to put the scum out of their misery at Carrow Road. Loved that goal and the electric atmosphere that day. Happy memories indeed.

Malky''s second against Wolves had everything. Really important goal, scored in pretty much the last minute, giving everyone in the gournd a sense that the good times really had returned. I remember the Barclay physically shaking beneath my feet as everyone jumped up and down in time to that goal music that still seemed all right back in those days. And it was against Wolves, just to make it that little sweeter.

That''s my number one, just ahead of Goss''s equaliser at home vs Munich. Obviously, and rightly so, his goal in the Olympic Stadium gets all the attention, but I think his goal at Carrow Road was probably the high-water mark of City''s entire history. When Bayern scored right at the beginning of that game I''m sure most of us felt that the dream was about to die, in much the same way that those three Man U goals in ten minutes the previous season had crushed our dreams of the title. But the players worked so hard that night and the equaliser was well deserved. I was in the River End and had a perfect view of the chance opening up for Goss and him tucking it away in the bottom corner. The stadium exploded. Even those in the old South Stand were going nuts - I remember Culverhouse celebrating with them.

That night Man Utd lost to Galatasaray in the European Cup and just for one moment we were the most advanced English team in European competition. An absolutely unbelievable evening.

Bruce''s goal in the Milk Cup semi was just before my time, but surely that must be the overall winner. Basically the same as Malky''s but against Ipswich. What''s not to like?

Polston versus Villa. I really believed we would win the league when that went in.

I actually bizarrely have no memory of iwan''s goal at the millenium yet I can vividly remember birmingham''s equaliser for some reason..Mckenzie''s goal against united because it gave you the surreal feeling that you were actually going to beat manchester unitedMulryne''s against Reading, late goal and the biggest rendition of ''now you don''t believe us, were gonna win the league!'' i''ve ever heard

For me it was the Fleck goal against Millwal too, 3-2 I think we won, great finish at the end of the game and on tv my dad went mad with me for my OTT celebration.

[quote user="The Butler"]Justin Fashanu''s BBC goal of the season.One of the best (flukey) strikes seen at Carrow road.[/quote]

Agreed

The Luton goal for me, although when Earnshaw scored against QPR to make it 3-2 with a minute to go before they equalised at Loftus Road was pretty special.

The 4th Goal v. Middlesborough was something else..,..

Malkys header in the playoff sem vs wolves... although there was 1 game left to go we knew we were at Cardiff.. the barclay was a Mosh pit!

[quote user="dpit"]Steve Bruce v Ipswich. Milk Cup Semi Final 1985. A hugely satisfying thumping header.[/quote]

Yep. Thats the one for me. I actually bought the square where he scored it from on canarysquares I like it so much! Its here if you''re interested www.canarysquares.co.uk/index.php?sl=656

Has to be Steve Bruce''s header against Ipswich...Closely followed by Gossy''s goal at home against Bayern - I think I nearly threw my Dad through the roof of the South/Jarrold Stand that night - I then got in trouble with my Mum for getting him ever so slightly drunk afterwards!!!Oh, and btw - Fashanu''s goal was not a fluke!

Although not my favourite ever, Curetons equaliser against Ipswich in Roeders first game I seem to remember drowned the sky commentators out for a while or something.

Apart from the obvious ones already mentioned, Flecky scoring the equaliser in a 1-1 draw away to Exeter in the F.A Cup must be about 20 years ago now.They tok the lead with not long left and it looked like we were going to be on the end of a big Cup shock,but the man slotted it home a few minutes later. One of the biggest terrace eruptions,(in terms of mentalness,if not in actual numbers!), I have ever been in the middle of.

Have to agree, for me it was the most intense celebrations ever!! Pouring rain, no roof, people falling onto the pitch - it was fantastic. Will always remember that one. At the final whistle Bryan Gunn ran up to us, hugged my brother covering him in mud!! Great days. Will also remember the game for the fact that the players were unrecognisable under all that mud, expect one - twinkle toes Dave Phillips. His shirt was pristine!

For me, Robert Rosario vs Southampton 1989. We were 4-2 down with about 15 mins left and Rosy (after already scoring the goal of the season) scored in the last to give us an improbable 4-4 draw...... Happy days!

Wes Hoolahan''s screamer last season i think has got to be the most celebrated goal for me, i literally went mental and was screaming like girl.Theres been some crackers, Drury''s v Boro, Ashton''s v Newcastle, Iwans at Cardiff, Croft v Ipswich, but i nearly soiled myself when Wes scored last season so im gonna have to for that. At the time it was amazing, it was like we''d just witnessed the greatest goal ever scored in the history of football.

For me, McKenzie vs United

Ashton vs Newcastle

Croft vs Ipswich last season

Drury vs Boro

and hasn''t been mentioned yet but I loved Mckenzie''s goal vs Chelsea when we ended there run without conceding.

matty svennson against charlton  loved the way he ran along the jarrold  his face contorted a la stuart pearce... the out pouring of relief around the ground was incredible           

[quote user="dpit"]Steve Bruce v Ipswich. Milk Cup Semi Final 1985. A hugely satisfying thumping header.[/quote]

Yep, that''s the one for me.  Iwan''s header at the millenium comes close as does Martin O''neill''s free kick to win 3-2 at portaloo rd in the Boxing day match 1982.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Remember everyone going nuts at Reading away (Mullers, assist from the ref) and Lappin against Luton. At home recent memory serves up Stockport and Wolves in playoff season, Drury against Middlesbrough and Ashton against Newcastle - Green stood on the railings of the Barclay - celebrated too much and fell into us Lower Barclayers.
[/quote]

I remember the Mulryne away at Reading - with a bit of help from the refs bum - went mental as that was the moment I ''knew'' we were going up [:)]

I was there and was going to say the same thing. I think that it proved to me that we would go up defo.

For me it has to be Martin O''Neill''s goal at Portman Rd to win the game 3-2 sometime in the 80''sI was behind the goal. If the net hadn''t stopped it, it would have taken my head off.I went banana''s, got in a clinch with a complete stranger next to me and we jumped up and down in some mad double pogo dance.Then had to get home avoiding all the fights that were breaking out around me.ahh! those were the days

I was there to,right behind the goal in direct eyeline of that cracker of a free kick.great moment.Apparently Martin O,neill had been practising free kicks with the outside of his foot in training that week and failing miserably,until that great strike in the actual game.

I love this thread it brings back such good memories!

For me - probably the second against Man U.

But a close second goes to Steeno long ranger, I seem to remember jumping and then falling over the seats in front of me!

[quote user="dpit"]Steve Bruce v Ipswich. Milk Cup Semi Final 1985. A hugely satisfying thumping header.[/quote]Couldn''t agree more, I was at the back of the centre pen of the Barclay when he connected with that and on the fencing at the front by the time he reeled away, an evening that will stay in my memory to my dying day.