Sign in to follow this  
Spiros

Turnip Townsend's FA Cup record

Can someone who is well informed settle a little dispute.  After ITV mentioned turnip playing in the record Norwich FA Cup win can anyone confirm he actually played in that game?  Sure, he played and scored in the Port Vale win but can''t find anything that says he played against Sutton. 

Much appreciated.

I''m pretty sure he did play in that game.

One piece of advice for Townsend though, stick to football punditry and don''t go any futher with the "weather forcasting" thing you attempted yesterday - not the most accurate!!

Townsend did play in that game. He played right through to the semi-final. Then we lost Phelan and Fleck for the semi and the rest is history as they say. I think that team was our best ever. We were just a centre forward short of a great side. If Sutton had come through at that time I think we could have won the league or even the double!! As it was at Easter we were 3 points off top and in the FA Cup semi''s.

Rosario not a quality centre-forward? How can anyone even think that! Slightly more seriously, our best-ever footballing side, certainly. But what is sometimes overlooked is that Crook, the best passer in a passing team, only started in half the 38 League games. The first-choice midfield was normally Gordon, Phelan, Townsend and Putney, all with more than 30 starts.

Indeed but that midfield really worked together and Phelan was probably one of our most underated players ever. And all this happened in front of what I consider was our best ever defence: Culverhouse Butterworth Linighan Bowen.

I always thought that Crook was way underated. I (think I) remember a game against Southampton, one of those ones that would always end 5-4 or something, where he went round a few players then went round them again, just to show off!. Oh, those were the good old Barclay End days with the loos with no roof and the burgers that would sit in hot water.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Indeed but that midfield really worked together and Phelan was probably one of our most underated players ever. And all this happened in front of what I consider was our best ever defence: Culverhouse Butterworth Linighan Bowen.

[/quote]Phelans'' career since finishing playing would bear out that he has a good footballing brain - is he now number 2 or 3 at Man Utd ?  They always seem to drag him in front of the cameras when they can''t get anyone more senior anyway.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Phelans'' career since finishing playing would bear out that he has a good footballing brain - is he now number 2 or 3 at Man Utd ?  They always seem to drag him in front of the cameras when they can''t get anyone more senior anyway.[/quote]As far as the BBC is concerned that''s because dear sweet Fergie simply won''t appear. The result of the Panorama documentary about - among other things - his son. The BBC is on his banned list.

[quote user="CanaryPurple"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

Phelans'' career since finishing playing would bear out that he has a good footballing brain - is he now number 2 or 3 at Man Utd ?  They always seem to drag him in front of the cameras when they can''t get anyone more senior anyway.[/quote]As far as the BBC is concerned that''s because dear sweet Fergie simply won''t appear. The result of the Panorama documentary about - among other things - his son. The BBC is on his banned list.[/quote]Grumpy old buggar.  Grumpy old successful buggar, but a grumpy one nonetheless.