Sign in to follow this  
Flashman

Doherty

Yeh he looked class against Paulton !Maybe he can go their on loan till the end of the season, although he did do his trademark drag the attacker to the floor in the first 10 mins for a  Free Kick, had me screaming at the TV

Eeerh I seemed to remember that the first bit of action he had his arms wrapped around a Paulton player, who had made him look slow and ponderous as usual. Same as, no matter the opposition put him under pressure he''ll respond in the same way. Found his level - on that evidence Ridgeons or bust.

Sorry tin hat on and ready to duck.

Or perhaps after playing the last 9 games in a team which has scored 24 goals and conceded 5, Doc''s proved he is an important part of a solid back four.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Yet he''s been our best centre back over the past month or so
[/quote]

yes he has and will continue but you wasting your time keep saying it , people only see wha they want to see

Yes the stats prove that the Doc has been a key to our solid defence, but still, everytime there is a through ball I turn away as I know Doc holds the player, slides in and he is just a bit wreckless. He needs to learn to JOCKEY!!!!!!!!

Saying this...well done Doc for getting back in the team and doing a superb job

OTBC!

How anyone can use yesterday''s game to have a dig at The Doc is unbelieveable. He has been as responsible as much as anyone for our recent good form - get behind our players you absolute idiots.

Oh come on, all this constant bashing of the Dork!  Get real.  He is proving himself to be a reliable Division 3 defender, so why the bitter sarcasm about him being Ridgeon''s League quality.  It took us 2 relegations to find out where he belongs, but now that has been determined, enough with the pointless and inaccurate criticism.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Or perhaps after playing the last 9 games in a team which has scored 24 goals and conceded 5, Doc''s proved he is an important part of a solid back four.

[/quote]

CORRECT!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Yeh he looked class against Paulton !Maybe he can go their on loan till the end of the season, although he did do his trademark drag the attacker to the floor in the first 10 mins for a  Free Kick, had me screaming at the TV[/quote]Moron.How many free kicks has he given away this season again?

Lets face it, he''s a bit of a liability in the way he marks by holding on, but if and when he keeps his hands to him self he''s a top defender for us.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Lets face it, he''s a bit of a liability in the way he marks by holding on, but if and when he keeps his hands to him self he''s a top defender for us.[/quote]Well said.Ive been impressed with him of late and im deffo not a fan of his !

The simple fact is that, like Chris Martin, Doc will never win over some fans. Yes, he can be clumsy and I for one had written him off earlier in the season, but the statistics don''t lie. We now have a very parsimonious defence of which the Doc is a key part. Equally Martin, who will always be branded by some as slow and lazy, has forged a brilliant and lucrative partnership with Holty, yet there are still calls to bin him for Cody.

We have got a team (and a system) which works, let''s just enjoy it!

Whatever happened to that poster who said he wouldn''t go to anymore games when Doc played[:O] I wonder if that extends to TV games or indeed watching it on the wireless......

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Oh come on, all this constant bashing of the Dork!  Get real.  He is proving himself to be a reliable Division 3 defender, so why the bitter sarcasm about him being Ridgeon''s League quality.  It took us 2 relegations to find out where he belongs, but now that has been determined, enough with the pointless and inaccurate criticism.[/quote]

More Doc bashing from another idiot who doesn''t go to games. Quite funny really.

Yawn yawn he we go again!

The Doc slaggers which number the sheep, ignorant and people who don''t go to games picking up on the very odd mistakes the Doc has made this term!

Its not illegal to put your hand on a player but when the Doc did it yesterday the player went straight down - a cheap piece of gamesmanship taking advantage of a situation when the Doc shouldn''t of put his hand on the player!

The Doc and Askou have been rocks at the back for us this season none more so than last week at Stockport when at times they stood between us and Stockport getting big scoring chances!

I wouldn''t swap them 2 with any other centreback in League1

im not the bigegst fan of doc, but he has been solid as a rock alongside askou... he is a bit grabby but id rather that than someone backing off and losing players... i think his biggest downfall is that hes the ugliest player i have ever seen.

Who cares if he puts his hands on people. This is football not basketball.  It has been mentioned on other threads before but you watch John Terry or Nemanja Vidic play and tell me they don''t put their hands all over people

Like others here, I''m getting fed up with what amounts to blind prejudice about certain City players. In Doc''s case, a lot of it is based on last season where he was playing with a different loan player every month or so. Particularly with CBs, it''s the partnership that makes it work or not and at last Doc has a permanent partner in Askou, producing a  solidity at the back that City haven''t had since MacKay and Fleming. The second factor is midfield cover, particularly from Russell breaking up attacks at the base of the diamond.

Lambert & Culverhouse have devised a formation that suits the players available and then builds in confidence on success. It''s just typical that these nay-sayers are still criticising after 7 wins in eight matches. It''s just egotistical self-importance, IMO.

I wonder at times how completely ignorant of the game some people can be. They seem to watch it but see nothing.

The arms have become so important in upper body strength in tackling, keeping players at bay and defending that everyone does it. The arm across the chest (look at Terry''s challenge yesterday that some thought a penalty should have been awarded for), the holding of shirts (same incident!), the pushing and holding at corners (usually BEFORE the ball is kicked so that it is not in play so no penalty can be awarded) yet the Docherty is singled out. His contribution has been great in recent weeks and shows what a good manager we have who can change his mind about a player. The arms coming out from him usually happens when a forward is backing in, to prevent him ''rolling'' the Doc.

Have you never wondered why sprinters run with their arms next to their bodies and footballers sprint with their arms at 45 degrees?

[quote user="stikers09"]

I always thought if city got relegated doherty, would find his level and he has.

[/quote]

Doc never hides either. Which games last season did you feel he was out of his depth in?

[quote user="Beauseant"]The simple fact is that, like Chris Martin, Doc will never win over some fans.[/quote]That''s right - those fans who simply don''t rate the guy as a player.Let''s be honest, the only real reason Doherty has really played under Lambert has been due to injuries. Even Doherty himself thought his time here was over and that he was 4th or 5th choice.There was a fair point raised earlier in the thread, in that Doherty WAS struggling for the first 20 mins against a Division 8 striker, and IMHO this simply isn''t good enough.Let''s not make the incorrect assumption that our current recent form is truly indicative of a players ability because it isn''t. All players go through runs of form - be they good or bad, but you''ll see this equalise over a season to show overall ability, and when you look at this for the last few years, Doherty hasn''t been good enough.Amazing that you can''t apparently come onto a Norwich forum and give an opinion one way or another without being abused or harangued...

The thing with Gary Doherty is that he''s had the best career in football out of anyone in our squad, he''s been picked by several different Norwich City managers and he is currently in the team under Paul Lambert (who looks to be a good manager, with high standards and a desire to win).

If he wasn''t good enough for Norwich then Paul Lambert wouldn''t have him in the team, injuries or not.

I think Gary Doherty is probably quite a bit better than a lot of the pink''un experts give him credit for.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Glad you''re amused, Dicky.  He has been nails for us (not including game 1) in Division 3.[/quote]

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

on about doc holding players back john terry yesturday and all centre backs i rest my case they all do it whatever standard cheers

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Beauseant"]The simple fact is that, like Chris Martin, Doc will never win over some fans.[/quote]That''s right - those fans who simply don''t rate the guy as a player.

Let''s be honest, the only real reason Doherty has really played under Lambert has been due to injuries. Even Doherty himself thought his time here was over and that he was 4th or 5th choice.

There was a fair point raised earlier in the thread, in that Doherty WAS struggling for the first 20 mins against a Division 8 striker, and IMHO this simply isn''t good enough.

Let''s not make the incorrect assumption that our current recent form is truly indicative of a players ability because it isn''t. All players go through runs of form - be they good or bad, but you''ll see this equalise over a season to show overall ability, and when you look at this for the last few years, Doherty hasn''t been good enough.

Amazing that you can''t apparently come onto a Norwich forum and give an opinion one way or another without being abused or harangued...
[/quote]

Giving your opinion is what these forums are about but when your opinion is as wide of the mark as yours then you''ll get chastised by the sensible amongst us!

The Doc got back in the team because of injuries but since then has been largely outstanding, him and Askou are by far our best 2 CB''s and I say 2 of the best in the entire Division!

I was at the game Saturday and didn''t see the Doc struggle at all really apart from when the guy deliberately fell after feeling Docs arem on his shoulder which is legal in football!

Some people are so blinkered and will not accept that the Doc is one of our best players. - Like the guy suggesting that the Doc has found his level this season! - Boll**cks - He was one of our best last season!

If some fans on here who no doubt the school age lot think that a player never makes mistakes then they are mistaken!