Sign in to follow this  
Forever Norwich

Deano !

If the club hadn''t made such a mess of signing him (ie mid-season instead of the start) - for financial reasons - we would probably still be in the Premier League.   Prudence with ambition cost us dear with Dean Ashton.   Best "proper" CF I''ve seen at Norwich since Chris Sutton''s days.I didn''t have an issue with his departure, again, it was in all probability arranged by the club to ensure a smooth transfer...If he is retiring it''s another case of so near...so far....

[quote user="canarytom"]

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]Sure he wont mind, he''ll have compensation coming out of his arse if he retires at his age. It''ll give him enough money to as many Mika and Scissor Sisters concerts to fill his heart''s content...[/quote]

He got married (to a lady) this summer

[/quote]

she''s from Wymondham

I was a guest at the West Ham Everton match yesterday courtesy of one of WHU''s sponsors, and had lunch with Tony Cottee beforehand, who does a lot of corporate glad-handing for the Hammers nowadays. Asked him how Deano was and he said: "I think he''s finished to be honest. His ankle won''t heal."

''Fraid that''s it for Deano, which whatever you think of him leaving us, is a shame for the game to lose such a fine player.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

He left for a bigger club?

Whats wrong with that?

[/quote]

A bigger club?

Not so sure pal....all things told we are on a par with West Ham.

Obviously we are currently playing catch-up!

I have no sympathy for the sick-note t****r.

Will never forgive him for that game at Plymouth.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]We are on a par with West Ham??? I will have a pint of whatever you are drinking dizgoo[/quote]

In the grand scheme of things, yes I think we are...

In the 80s and 90s they were consistently second-tier while we were challenging for the Prem title etc. Swings and roundabouts.

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/westham/6530593/West-Ham-striker-Dean-Ashton-expected-to-retire-from-football.html>

[quote user="Askouuu"]I thought the Greeno sell-on cause was wiped out as part of the ''deal'' when we got Grant.[/quote]Yes, that''s correct.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Askouuu"]I thought the Greeno sell-on cause was wiped out as part of the ''deal'' when we got Grant.[/quote]Yes, that''s correct.[/quote]Dont think it is. It was money due after either Green or Ashton played for England a certain amount of times that went.

A freind at Eaton golf course tells me Dean Ashton was making enquiries about becoming a member there as he''s moving back to the area. I''m pretty sure he married a local girl, this was a good few weeks ago too.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="First Jedi"]Come on guys - how did he leave badly?[/quote]

How''s about a questionable injury whilst talking to West Ham for starters!

[/quote]

Lambert is a saint but Ashton is Judas???? You need to clean

those rose tinted glasses of yours. If we would have been challenging for

promotion he would have stayed with us. Ashton did his best to try and ensure

that we stayed up. Im sorry that he never got a chance to play for England.

To those doubting this, I can confirm its validity (and those of you who know me know I''m not partial to rumour and speculation).  Dean''s ankle has had it - its the ligament, or whatever it is that stops the ankle bone touching the foot bone directly (I should be a Doctor!)... its completely shot and cannot run at all!Last I heard, he was waiting on an insurance pay-out before retiring, after which he''ll be having surgery on his ankle to do, erm, something to at least make it easier for him to walk.  Unfortunately his playing days are definitely over!  He and his missus (a Norwich lass through and through, which goes some way to explaining my connection) love Norfolk and would love to move back on day, although its not immediately on the cards.Easily one of the most talented players I''ve ever had the pleasure of seeing on the Carrow Road turf, and he deserves better than both the injury and some of the comments towards him on here.  He should have been playing for England by now, instead he''s barely able to kick a ball about the back garden with his little lad!Big shame...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]
Easily one of the most talented players I''ve ever had the pleasure of seeing on the Carrow Road turf, and he deserves better than both the injury and some of the comments towards him on here.  He should have been playing for England by now, instead he''s barely able to kick a ball about the back garden with his little lad!

Big shame...
[/quote]

I completely agree with this Evil. Great player, a huge shame.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="canarytom"]

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]Sure he wont mind, he''ll have compensation coming out of his arse if he retires at his age. It''ll give him enough money to as many Mika and Scissor Sisters concerts to fill his heart''s content...[/quote]

He got married (to a lady) this summer

[/quote]

she''s from Wymondham

[/quote]

Yes, the daughter of one of the Partners at work is best friends with her

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="First Jedi"]Come on guys - how did he leave badly?[/quote]

How''s about a questionable injury whilst talking to West Ham for starters!

[/quote]

Lambert is a saint but Ashton is Judas???? You need to clean

those rose tinted glasses of yours. If we would have been challenging for

promotion he would have stayed with us. Ashton did his best to try and ensure

that we stayed up. Im sorry that he never got a chance to play for England.

[/quote]Well he did play for England onceThat 7 million odd, great bit of business.

The Daily Mirror report today that "West Ham are set to announce the retirement of Dean Ashton this week." A great striker in my opinion. I think he might have gone on and had a decent run in international football but for this unfortunate early end to his career. A very powerful player.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]What did Ashton do in ''that Plymouth''game?[/quote]

Absolutely FA....except cry like a b***h

Looks like Dean ashton will be forced to retire due to his ankle injury, west ham are in the process of claiming a 7m insurance payout !  If ever a player failed to deliver it has to be Ashton, so much quality but a shocking attiutude to match, still never nice to see 25yo retire.

All the best Dean, i will always remember you for your goal against Man city, Class !