Sign in to follow this  
Forever Norwich

Deano !

Sad to hear that a player of his obvious ability may face early retirement. One of the most technically gifted players I''ve seen at City, but I don''t think his heart was ever in it for us.

Sure he wont mind, he''ll have compensation coming out of his arse if he retires at his age. It''ll give him enough money to as many Mika and Scissor Sisters concerts to fill his heart''s content...

I find this news sad personally as England as a nation will also suffer this loss , to me he would have been a perfect strike partner for Rooney good in the air good with either foot and a real footballers brain.

All in all he was a very talented player and he deserved the chance to prove his qualities at the highest level , i believe this injury was obtained while on England an training session when all the so called experts were saying he would have played at least some part of the following match .

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]Sure he wont mind, he''ll have compensation coming out of his arse if he retires at his age. It''ll give him enough money to as many Mika and Scissor Sisters concerts to fill his heart''s content...[/quote]HA HA HA. That''s really funny, because the Scissor Sisters and Mika are gay-oriented bands, and Dean Ashton is supposed to be gay.Hilarious. Ooh, my sides.

Can''t believe how cold some of the comments are in this thread! Top bloke, intelligent on and off the pitch, no way we''d have kept hold of a talent like that (who deserved the opportunity to ply his trade at the highest level) with all that money being flung about.If he retires now we''ve missed out on the best part of a brilliant domestic and international talent. I also hate the premise that he''ll welcome his retirement based on his fat wallet. Nonsense - he''s a football man who clearly loves playing and is mortified at the idea that his own career may be over so soon. I for one am gutted for the chap.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I for one won''t be shedding a tear for this f***in mercenary, and furthermore I hope West Ham get relegated and fall into administation.

[/quote]why?

Possibly the most overrated player in the country. Lazy, slow and usually out of position.Thank god this means England are saved from experimenting with him.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Possibly the most overrated player in the country. Lazy, slow and usually out of position.Thank god this means England are saved from experimenting with him.[/quote]overrated?I really don''t think you know what that means, or havn''t watched Ashton...who scored over 10/15 goals in half a season for us at championship level, and scored 7/8 in the premireship, in a poor side, but almost saved us, he worked really hard for us, not as much for West ham, but for us he really did, that was why he was out of position....

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Possibly the most overrated player in the country. Lazy, slow and usually out of position.
Thank god this means England are saved from experimenting with him.
[/quote]

You are a clown.......when Ashton was here, most people thought he was destined for far better when he was here but when he leaves, their views become clouded and full of sour grapes.  Was he lazy, slow and usually out of position when he almost single-handedly turned our joke of a premier league season around?  Without Ashton we''d have been down by Feb but with his influence and goals we actually made it to that final day debacle at Fulham (where I might add, he had 2 goals disallowed and a blatent penalty turned down). 

If Ashton could keep himself fit, its widely acclaimed that he would probably be an England regular by now but yet you vilify him for not wanting to grace the same pitch as Andy Hughes and Carl Robinson.  If he does have to retire at 26 or however old he is, he will also now have enough money to live on which he probably wouldn''t if he stayed here and ended up in league 1.  How anyone can blame him for leaving is beyond me.

Without a doubt, I''d rather be taking a fully-fit Ashton to a world cup than Heskey.

[quote user="Clint"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Possibly the most overrated player in the country. Lazy, slow and usually out of position.Thank god this means England are saved from experimenting with him.[/quote] you vilify him for not wanting to grace the same pitch as Andy Hughes and Carl Robinson.  If he does have to retire at 26 or however old he is, he will also now have enough money to live on which he probably wouldn''t if he stayed here and ended up in league 1.  How anyone can blame him for leaving is beyond me.

Without a doubt, I''d rather be taking a fully-fit Ashton to a world cup than Heskey.

[/quote]No, thats what you assume. I can hand on heart say I felt he was hugely overrated when he was here. A good finisher yes and better quality than our team at the time yes. But the ridiculous praise like single handedly turning our Prem season around is SO far off the mark. Down by Feb without him? when did he sign? hmmm.We don''t see eye to eye on this, fine. But stick to your own opinions- don''t think you know what my motives are.

To me overrated means just that- rated higher than he deserves. He is/was a good player, but not as great as he was made out to be. I think Lamberts current success should show that working for the team is more important than being technically tallented but out of place.

[quote user="Clint"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Possibly the most overrated player in the country. Lazy, slow and usually out of position.
[/quote]

You are a clown.......when Ashton was here, most people thought he was destined for far better when he was here but when he leaves, their views become clouded and full of sour grapes.  Was he lazy, slow and usually out of position when he almost single-handedly turned our joke of a premier league season around?  Without Ashton we''d have been down by Feb but with his influence and goals we actually made it to that final day debacle at Fulham (where I might add, he had 2 goals disallowed and a blatent penalty turned down). 

If Ashton could keep himself fit, its widely acclaimed that he would probably be an England regular by now but yet you vilify him for not wanting to grace the same pitch as Andy Hughes and Carl Robinson.  If he does have to retire at 26 or however old he is, he will also now have enough money to live on which he probably wouldn''t if he stayed here and ended up in league 1.  How anyone can blame him for leaving is beyond me.

[/quote]

And there we have the sound of the nail being hit firmly on the head.  Well said Clint.  Why some people think that any player who leaves our beloved club for want of playing at the highest level and then having the opportunity of playing for their country is quite beyond me.  Were Chris woods, Rob Green, Steve Bruce, Dave Watson, Andy Townsend, Kevin Reeves..... etc etc  (endless list) all traitors and mercenary bastards?  I don''t think so.  It''s time some people grew up and smelled the coffee.  Ashton was a very gifted player and deserved his opportunity.  The game and the country have lost a future great.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Clint"]

[/quote] you vilify him for not wanting to grace the same pitch as Andy Hughes and Carl Robinson.  If he does have to retire at 26 or however old he is, he will also now have enough money to live on which he probably wouldn''t if he stayed here and ended up in league 1.  How anyone can blame him for leaving is beyond me.

[/quote]

No, thats what you assume. I can hand on heart say I felt he was hugely overrated when he was here.
A good finisher yes and better quality than our team at the time yes. But the ridiculous praise like single handedly turning our Prem season around is SO far off the mark. Down by Feb without him? when did he sign? hmmm.
We don''t see eye to eye on this, fine. But stick to your own opinions- don''t think you know what my motives are.
[/quote]

Whatever your motives are the stats don''t lie, when he signed (mid-Jan) we had won only 1 match in 5/6 months so he clearly made a massive difference to our struggling team.  Less fact-based but its fairly unanimous that we looked dead and buried so its pretty conceivable that without Ashton we could have been all but relelgated by the end of Feb (maybe not BY Feb). 

I will always maintain that had we signed him in the summer, we would probably still be in the Prem now.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Clint"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Possibly the most overrated player in the country. Lazy, slow and usually out of position.Thank god this means England are saved from experimenting with him.[/quote]

[/quote]

And there we have the sound of the nail being hit firmly on the head.  Well said Clint.  Why some people think that any player who leaves our beloved club for want of playing at the highest level and then having the opportunity of playing for their country is quite beyond me.  Were Chris woods, Rob Green, Steve Bruce, Dave Watson, Andy Townsend, Kevin Reeves..... etc etc  (endless list) all traitors and mercenary bastards?  I don''t think so.  It''s time some people grew up and smelled the coffee.  Ashton was a very gifted player and deserved his opportunity.  The game and the country have lost a future great.

[/quote]I agree with what you are saying- they shouldn''t be denied an oportunity, nor did I ever call him amercenary bastard or a traitor. I just don''t think he''s as good as many have made him out to be. A future great? Nope. Not for me. Premier league mid table forward, yes.

[quote user="Clint"]

Whatever your motives are the stats don''t lie, when he signed (mid-Jan) we had won only 1 match in 5/6 months so he clearly made a massive difference to our struggling team.  Less fact-based but its fairly unanimous that we looked dead and buried so its pretty conceivable that without Ashton we could have been all but relelgated by the end of Feb (maybe not BY Feb). 

I will always maintain that had we signed him in the summer, we would probably still be in the Prem now.

[/quote]I think he was a part of the jigsaw- we looked a decent team that couldn''t close out the games we played well in upto Jan- Ashton helped the team, but not instantly by any means. Realistically were it not for a couple of dodgy penaltys and a freak set of final day results we could have still been prem now even with Ashton only coming in Jan. Equally, for my money if Ashton had come in the summer it would have been someone else who cam in Jan that would be seen to have given us that lift. Can we be sure he would have gelled with all those other new players that came that summer?

Not sure what all of this sentimental b**locks is about surrounding Ashton, he was here for all of TWELVE MONTHS!!, sorry I must have missed his testimonial, hardly makes him a Duncan Forbes or a Kevin Keelan does it?. The fact is he used us as a stepping stone to further his career when nobody else was prepared to take a punt on him in the premiership.

Secondly he is a perfect example of why its currently a good era to be a big English striker because when you look around they are thin on the ground, exemplified by Heskey''s and Carlton Cole''s continued selection for England. If you look back say 15-20 years ago most top flight sides had big strikers and they were all better than Ashton (and not as fragile) -Fashanu,Harford,Regis,Shearer etc,even our own Chris Sutton!. The only reason why he is so overrated is because they are a dying breed in today''s football, not because he is/was that great.

I''m not over concerned for his plight due to him being a Norwich ex, it''s the fact he is a great footballer and as someone quite rightly said, would have been a perfect foil for Rooney and in my book, I would have him above, Cole, Heskey and Crouch.

Nice bit of compo from the FA though and along with his insurance, he will not go hungry, although I appreciate that he has lost his livelyhood and ability to play football, which he would, rather than getting compo.

We got him for 3 mil, and sold him for 7 mil. Why the bitterness?

And what the Crewe do with the 3 mil they got for him?  They were relegated that season. They should have brought in someone to replace him, as we did when we got Earnshaw.

When Ashton was here he was a young player with the potential to be among the very best, but his capacity to stay injury free for long enough to play regularly was in doubt even at that stage.  I expect he knew it too, and that''s a big reason why he was in such a hurry to get back to the top flight after we were relegated, it wasn''t just about the money imo. 

I''ve often criticised the club for being too ready to sell our best players but in this case I think it was probably justified.  What wasn''t justified was our failure to invest enough of the proceeds on the playing side.

Ledley King seems to be another player in the same category.  Very sad for both of them and a real loss to English football, there are few enough real English talents coming through as it is.

Ashton, brilliant for us in the Prem, cack for us after relegation, thought he was often playing while injured by all accounts he often appeared like he couldn''t be arhusd, that''s what get''s most people. He clearly wanted away and the endless speculation didn''t help.

well I was an Ashton fan, sad to hear he might not play again... Decednt player for us and the Spammers and if he had stayed injury free i think would of gone to have been the best striker in the england squad.

Wish him all the best and hope he can find a new career soon.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Clint"]

[/quote]

I think he was a part of the jigsaw- we looked a decent team that couldn''t close out the games we played well in upto Jan- Ashton helped the team, but not instantly by any means. Realistically were it not for a couple of dodgy penaltys and a freak set of final day results we could have still been prem now even with Ashton only coming in Jan.
Equally, for my money if Ashton had come in the summer it would have been someone else who cam in Jan that would be seen to have given us that lift. Can we be sure he would have gelled with all those other new players that came that summer?
[/quote]

Winning goals against Brum & Newcastle, scored in win over Man Utd, 2 in the draw at Palace....not a bad contribution....

I have been going to City for over 20 years and he is one of the most talented strikers I have ever seen in a City shirt and I have seen Deehan, Channon, Drinkell, Fleck, Sutton, Robins, Bellamy, Hucks, Roberts!

Think you are being a tad harsh but hey you are entitled to your opinion.

Shame cause I''m certain he''d of moved on from West Ham to a bigger club, been an England regular and would of earned us money in the form of a substantial sell on fee!

Those of you who call him a mercenary - get real!

He was good enough to play at a higher level than the championship with us and at the same time earn a lot more money!

I think most of us would of taken the same route in his shoes!

I think Ashton was one of the best strikers we''ve had in my time and his sale was financially good for us too. It''s a shame that anyone''s career should come to a premature end (excluding the likes of Marlon King). I also believed without bias that he could have progressed to be an asset to the England team. I''m quite sure he will not face any financial hardship but that is irrelevant. I hope he has a good future and happy life.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Not sure what all of this sentimental b**locks is about surrounding Ashton, he was here for all of TWELVE MONTHS!!, sorry I must have missed his testimonial, hardly makes him a Duncan Forbes or a Kevin Keelan does it?. The fact is he used us as a stepping stone to further his career when nobody else was prepared to take a punt on him in the premiership.

Secondly he is a perfect example of why its currently a good era to be a big English striker because when you look around they are thin on the ground, exemplified by Heskey''s and Carlton Cole''s continued selection for England. If you look back say 15-20 years ago most top flight sides had big strikers and they were all better than Ashton (and not as fragile) -Fashanu,Harford,Regis,Shearer etc,even our own Chris Sutton!. The only reason why he is so overrated is because they are a dying breed in today''s football, not because he is/was that great.

[/quote]

here, here.

this is the player who almost saved us from relegation but as soon as we were relegated played every match with a face like a slapped arse and little effort until the transfer window beckoned.

his attitude to the fans at kenilworth rd was worthy of reciprocated contempt