Sign in to follow this  
Barclay hero

Was relegation a blessing in disguise?

Obviously there are the financial downsides - and we''re 2 steps away from the Premiership.  But in the long run would we be better off being relegated

1) Teams that struggle in the bottom end of the Championship before being relegated bounce quickly back towards the Prem.  Man City, Reading and (this season possibly) Leicester

2) If we''d have stayed up we would probably still be under Gunn - probably in a similar position to where Ipswich are now

3) We''d still have Doncaster etc on the board

OK we''ve still got DS but it looks as if McNally is taking the dominant role.  It could still end in tears but I think we''re in a better position now than we were 12 months ago

We''re certainly not in a better position, but there''s definite signs that the could is in a better state right now than we were last season, or probably would be if we''d stayed up.

At the very least, we have a proper manager at long last.

Every cloud, eh?

I''m enjoying this season better than I did the last one.

I also think that relegation brought a lot of things to a head - possibly a necessary step back.

And it''s a good bit of fun visiting some of these grounds* that a so reminicent of the seventies - and tomorrow night being a harsh reminder of where we could be if some of the simpler posters on here had their way.

* one season only though

No , this team would struggle in the Championship so even if we are lucky enough to go back up we still need money to build a Championship side , money we have not got . We could even end up being a Championship League 1 yoyo team .

being relegated isn''t a good thing.

HOWEVER.

Norwich have now had the opportunity to clear the decks, bring in a manager who know''s exactly what he wants and also at this level we have manged to blood a couple of players who would not have got the chance in the championship. Smith Adeyemi, Martin, Spillane and Rudd are all major additions to the squad and players i feel if we went up would now keep us there. We needed something drastic to stop the rot... I feel relegation was the bane... the antidote is the new side we are building.First time in ages i have liked our team and been proud of them...

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Obviously there are the financial downsides - and we''re 2 steps away from the Premiership.  But in the long run would we be better off being relegated

1) Teams that struggle in the bottom end of the Championship before being relegated bounce quickly back towards the Prem.  Man City, Reading and (this season possibly) Leicester

2) If we''d have stayed up we would probably still be under Gunn - probably in a similar position to where Ipswich are now

3) We''d still have Doncaster etc on the board

OK we''ve still got DS but it looks as if McNally is taking the dominant role.  It could still end in tears but I think we''re in a better position now than we were 12 months ago

[/quote]I pretty much agree with you actually. The championship looks as tougher as ever this season and I honestly could see us having another dire season under Gunn with Doomcaster and co still at the club. You look at leicester and they were similar to us before they went down just fighting relegation every season but relegation seemed to give them a kick up the backside and they now look a good side

Wholesale changes would have been needed anyway had we stayed in Championship. Definitely not a good thing to be in League 1 other than we are seeing a few victories this year.

[quote user="City1st"]I''m enjoying this season better than I did the last one. I also think that relegation brought a lot of things to a head - possibly a necessary step back. And it''s a good bit of fun visiting some of these grounds* that a so reminicent of the seventies - and tomorrow night being a harsh reminder of where we could be if some of the simpler posters on here had their way. * one season only though[/quote]

No Walphy.

Simple people put us where we are today.

It''s a good job that it''s apparently dawned on the club that it''s a hard old world out there.

The proof of this pudding will be in the eating.

Can they sustain and embed the ''new approach''. Let''s hope so, Ralph.

OTBC

[quote user="Norfolk&Chance"]

It might be worthwhile remembering that we''re not out of this league yet.

Revisit this question in 3 years time

Good point, I enjoy us winning games instead of fighting relegation in the championship. But we all wanna get back there and we have NOT achieved that yet. True: we''ve got a decent manager in but he has got no money to spend. Brings it all down to the old bloody problem we haven''t got a penny to spend.

We''ve got a good chance of promotion, Lambert needs some support from above though to get the job done.

Only if we get promoted at the first attempt.  It really is as simple as that.

But I know I''m not the only one to be enjoying this season much more than the previous three. It''s not just the fact that we are winning more games, it''s the fact that the club seems to be getting back the togetherness which is such an integral part of success for a club of our size. Of course, Steve Archibald rightly said that ''team spirit is an illusion which you only glimpse when you win'' and it will be interesting to see how we respond if we have the sort of dodgy patch that Charlton are going through at the moment. But I go to football to seem a team I respect trying their hearts out and trying to play decent football. For the first time in years, that''s what I''m seeing at CR this season.

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]No , this team would struggle in the Championship so even if we are lucky enough to go back up we still need money to build a Championship side , money we have not got . We could even end up being a Championship League 1 yoyo team .
[/quote]

I take that point, Mr Relentless Negativity, and I think you are largely right. But I would also argue that we have built a system that works and that the TV money in the Championship is ten times what it is in League One. It will be tough for us in the championship next season if we go up, but it is a challenge I would back Lambert to rise to.

The problem comes if we don''t go up. Another year of the minuscule TV money that you get in league one and we are stuffed, I reckon.

Had Team Gunn kept us up last season there is no way we would have got rid of them until at least Xmas.  By then we might have been looking down the same barrel as the previous two seasons.  But we must promote this season, or all hell will break loose financially.

A blessing in disguise? Not sure i would say that but i''m pretty certain it had to happen before MWJ and DS woke up to the fact that they and Doncaster were slowly killing the club and Doncatser was way out of his depth.

I think it''s also true we need to get back into the Championship this year to avoid financial meltdown.

"blessing in disguise"

It was for England when we failed to get into the Euros... had we done so, McClaren would''ve stayed on to this WC, got sacked and we''d have to wait for the next WC in 5 years, before having a decent shot. Now, after McClaren has been dumped, we''ve got the best manager next to old red face, a team playing well and a good-as-any shot at the title.

For us, getting a real board, a real manager and having the yoot come through, could - long term - have been better than staying up and flapping about like a wet fish for another season...

[quote user="First Jedi"]"blessing in disguise"

It was for England when we failed to get into the Euros... had we done so, McClaren would''ve stayed on to this WC, got sacked and we''d have to wait for the next WC in 5 years, before having a decent shot. Now, after McClaren has been dumped, we''ve got the best manager next to old red face, a team playing well and a good-as-any shot at the title.

For us, getting a real board, a real manager and having the yoot come through, could - long term - have been better than staying up and flapping about like a wet fish for another season...[/quote]Good summary. It''s a funny old game ..........

[quote user="The Chirp"]being relegated isn''t a good thing.

HOWEVER.

Norwich have now had the opportunity to clear the decks, bring in a manager who know''s exactly what he wants and also at this level we have manged to blood a couple of players who would not have got the chance in the championship.

Smith Adeyemi, Martin, Spillane and Rudd are all major additions to the squad and players i feel if we went up would now keep us there.

We needed something drastic to stop the rot... I feel relegation was the bane... the antidote is the new side we are building.

First time in ages i have liked our team and been proud of them...
[/quote]

Totally agree.

I actually prefer seeing us being competitive in a lower division than struggling in a higher division. I don''t understand all this ''We have to be in the Premiership'' thinking. I just want to follow my team and enjoy the excitement when it looks as though they might achieve something, even if that is simply challenging to get promoted form the Conference. Is football really only worth following if your team is at the highest level? If so, why do fans of any team outside the Premiership bother at all?

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]No , this team would struggle in the Championship so even if we are lucky enough to go back up we still need money to build a Championship side , money we have not got . We could even end up being a Championship League 1 yoyo team .[/quote]This team is far superior to the one that got us relegated, we were only a couple of wins of staying up so providing we get promoted and providing we keep this team together and strengthen as much as finances permit i don''t think relegation will be an issue again. Having said that we are a long way off challenging for the championship play offs. Relegation is never a good thing, every positive change that has been made could have been achieved in the championship. If we don''t go up then we may have to wave goodbye to Holt, Hoolahan & Smith and could end up down here for years. A month ago Charlton fans were probably as positive as us, now they are in free fall so lets not get carried away.

REady to fire!!

It was for Doc - he''s finally found his level. When we get promoted, make sure he is left behind otherwise as others have said we''ll become a Championship / League One yo yo.

When we get promoted, the squad will need further strengthening if we are to maintain momentum. The real blessing in disguise is that we have a proper board now and a proper manager, now we need a Championship / Premier squad.

There is a hell of a lot of  "when we get promoted" language on here. I sincerly hope your all right, in my humble view however the only thing that separates us from the majority of othere teams in this league is 2 players, Holt and Wes, injury or any other loss of player or form to these guys  and we will right back in the mix.

A good run in October November is only a very small part of a long season, if we fail to strengthen the team in January then we could easily end up mid table. There is a real risk of complacency if we get too carried away, as fans we need to keep the pressure on for improving the squad.  

[quote user="The Chirp"]being relegated isn''t a good thing.

HOWEVER.

Norwich have now had the opportunity to clear the decks, bring in a manager who know''s exactly what he wants and also at this level we have manged to blood a couple of players who would not have got the chance in the championship.

Smith Adeyemi, Martin, Spillane and Rudd are all major additions to the squad and players i feel if we went up would now keep us there.

We needed something drastic to stop the rot... I feel relegation was the bane... the antidote is the new side we are building.

First time in ages i have liked our team and been proud of them...
[/quote]

Agreed.

Taking it a game at a time is the key. We have no right whatsoever to talk about Premier League status, perhaps even Championship status. We only need look at Leeds and Notts Forest, both of whom made a dogs dinner of trying to get back up to Championship level. The same may yet happen to us, even if we make the play-offs, one bad ball will be all the opposition need to confine us to another season in League One. Having said this, I''m confident we''d have stayed up in the Championship with this squad last season. We wouldn''t finish much higher than around the relegation zone, but we''d have still survived. Certainly with Lambert in charge. The key is taking things a game at a time, not looking too far ahead and just getting on with the job. When Janurary comes around it may be time to strengthen the squad depending on the activity of other clubs. But as it stands if we keep this form up the only reason we will require extra bodies is merely for cover, especially if we get another situation where we are short on full backs.

For the first time in 5 years I am really looking forward to home games again - year after year of dross, being beaten by poor teams and seeing loan player after loan player who really wasn''t that bothered about being here had really got to me. Now we have a group of players who seem to want to play for us, we are scoring a few goals and after the early season wobbles, we even look pretty tight at the back. We don''t have to wait for page 2 of the league on SSN to see our team (although obviously have to wait longer for our league to appear!!) - goodness, we have even won a few cup games including a penalty shoot out!!

I meant the Championship Mello - the Premiership season was a bit of a disaster for the club

Freebie City - welcome back even if I dont like the negativity it gives people something to argue over

Agree with the posters that say we HAVE to be promoted this season for any good to come of our recent state. However my point is this - would things have really changed if we''d have stayed up? I think you''ll find the answer is no. At least Norwich are playing decent football and winning games even if its against crap opposition