Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

The biggest bluff ever?

Is the recent interview with Worthy about us not signing ANYONE in January the biggest bluff ever? Or is it the biggest kick in the goonahs ever?

If it is true then I give up trying to understand what the present management/board is thinking of.

According to the published accounts we took a financial gamble last season and spent money we didn''t have in order to get into the Premiership, the whole excercise resulting in a financial loss.

Now that we are in the Premiership we are not going to consolidate and will almost certainly get relegated. Back into a league that we into debt to get out of - and that makes sense??????

Either it is a big bluff of the club has frozen in the headlights of the big league, to scared to consolidate.

I hope its the former but expect it to be the latter.

As I have said before how we react to relegation (it it happens :blush will be so important as I do not want to spend another 9 years in the lower leagues.

Charlton and Bolton are good examples of teams which used to bounce between the leagues but have now found stability but Derby, Wolves, Leicester, Forest, Watford, Bradford, are all examples of teams who are now in a worse position than prior to promotion.

As we have seen in recent years the Norwich board and management LOVE keeping expectations at an absolute minimum and then oh, shock of all shocks, a press conferance is called!  Everyone is amazed, long live the board! 

I will be spectacularly p****ed off if we sign no-one next month

i agree fat man....

We should atleast sign someone who can play well (well better than helveg and doherty have done in previous matches.....)

Prehaps we should be looking for our youngsters to sign 1st team contracts instead of signing someone we dont know

DD

hi mate, long time no speak!  long live the board - well not this time, i have heard rumour after rumour - but from what nige has said recently, it all seems like a non event come 1st jan

i would love someone of quality to come in - but do we have the necessary money, no - not if you believe all doomcaster has said of late

do we have anyone of value to sell, yes but selling greeno mid season is just suicidal, he has kept the score down in many games - without him, i think we are doomed!

however, i do think of late some of our newer players are beginning to come good, it is just a shame we don''t have anyone upfront who can be relied upon to put away chances when we need to

a sad reflection on where we are in the pecking order of clubs in the prem - in time (and more seasons in the prem) we can become a force to be reckoned with, but not yet

i would love the board to be more radical and proactive, but let''s face it, they won''t be

Hi DD - yep it is a long time no speak due to a couple of things

One, work keeps getting in the way I recently got moved up and have a shed load more responsibility, I now have a quarter of the UK reporting in to me, so that takes a lot of time.

Two, I got a bit tired of the "should we spend money"/"why we shouldn''t spend money"/"who might we buy"/"what''s Worthy''s tactics this week" type of posts

Judging from the Press reports it looks like the answer is now clear - much I want us to stay up I don''t think that we are good enough right now.

Sure, Jonson and Bentley are looking much, much, better. Even Safri looked like he has something, but I''m not so sure about Helveg.

However, the obvious statistic is 0-8 in the last 3 matches, which is simply not good form enough to keep us up. We HAVE to keep ahead of the Baggies, Southampton and Palace, and keep in touch with Blackburn and Fulham.  Without re-inforcements we are going to struggle - mores the pity

Still, maybe it is all a big bluff, but I haven''t heard anything to the contrary from few peeps that I know who should know

It''s gonna be a long cold winter.

I was in the Gunn club on boxing day and Delia was interviewed by Roy Waller. She basically read off the same hymm sheet that they won''t buy any players who are not better than we already have and also they will not jeopardise the financial future of the club. She then went onto to make quite a depressing warning to fans to not be too upset if we don''t survive this season - she said " If we don''t succeed this time then we will the next time!"

Happy New Year to all posters

Hi FMF

In response, I feel that it is a total bluff, but in a way I am pleased that the club has finally grasped the whole concept of bluff, as it is a previously unheard of concept.

For years, when we have been interested in a player, the EDP has carried the details for weeks, and there have been no real suprises. For me, bluff has to be the way forward, and if it is, then fantastic, and lets pull a shock signing out of the bag.

Another thing which is worth mentioning is Francis. When he was first injured, there was talk that he would come back into first team action in the mask. This did not happen. Now he is back in training with the mask, but still no place in the squad, despite injuries.

Now he is training in "full contact training" without the mask, but still does not appear to be any closer to coming back.

Is he

a) Not recovering as well as he/the club thought?

b) Not being risked as there may be a bid in for him?

c) Not putting himself out as there may be a move on the cards?

Any thoughts?????

super shaun carey

regarding francis and his injury, when it was first revealed that he may wear a protective mask, all i could think of is the high risk of infection should he play a competitive game, also the risk of further injury to the site of the original wound

i am not a doctor but do work in the medical field, so i guess the club have had medical advice preventing damo from returning in the near future

i really don''t think it is anything to do with a possible move, just that he is not fit enough to play yet

I think if you go back Wolves Leicester Derby Forest etc were the teams who spent money they didn''t have or bought players who were no better than what they had but Charlton and Bolton didn''t spend much initially but bought the right players. I cannot beleive that we won''t sign anyway in Jan. I seem to remember the same words being said by the board and manager in the summer but we still signed a few players.

Oh what a surprise - Greeno is now saying that he is willing to be a sacrifical lamb to produce money for the Club

Maybe I am getting too cynical in my old age - Worthy says we have no money; Greeno says he is prepared to be sold; we sell Greeno as justification for raising some transfer funds because we have no money.....none of which has anything to do with signing 2 goalkeepers at the start of the season....

I would dearly like to think its a bluff and that in a week or so we are smiling as a couple of decent signings appear.........but I''m not so sure. I understand Worthy did not sign a striker in the summer because he could not get anybody  who he felt would be that much better than we had, for the cash he had available. I guess he was thinking (hoping ?) that come January the funds might have been better.

It seems to me Worthy is saying to the Board we need quality and quality costs. So there''s no point just spending the £1.2m as that won''t do it. Its his way of forcing the  real issue into the open.

Greeno''s comments today are also very interesting. Greeno has said it would be ''farcical'' if the Board did not allow some strengthening at this time even if his sale has to fund it. Good on him !! Coming from a player this seems to me to be very significant and indicates that the players know what is needed and are finding it hard to grasp where the Board is coming from. Basically do the Board want to stay up or not ?

After all this if there is not some action in the transfer window I think the Board will begin to lose some credibility, particularly if we then go down.