Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Us and Paulton Rovers

The local news down here have said that Norwich have offered The Paulton board a visit to Norwich for a match and also offered to play Paulton in a pre season match. 

Don''t reckon we''ll get much of an understanding of the state of our squad going into the 10 / 11 season by playing the Poulton Board!

I think its a damn fine gesture to make and hopefully a partnership / friendship that can go on to serve both clubs well !I think football is becoming to much about  the money so setting up deals etc between clubs out of respect / friendship is a step in the right direction.Despite this whole "nice" tag I think this is a good move by our board !

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I think its a damn fine gesture to make and hopefully a partnership / friendship that can go on to serve both clubs well !I think football is becoming to much about  the money so setting up deals etc between clubs out of respect / friendship is a step in the right direction.Despite this whole "nice" tag I think this is a good move by our board ![/quote]I agree NC, imagine what could happen if one of the bigger clubs teamed up with Kings Lynn or Lowestoft, it could only do good for these clubs

So we all like "nice" again now[Y]

Just wait ''til we lose a couple of games[:O]

I think it''s a great gesture. I think our club are respected wherever we go. Others think we are a laughing stock.

Each to their own I guess.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think it''s a great gesture. I think our club are respected wherever we go. Others think we are a laughing stock.

[/quote]

I think you can be both.  I think you are pretty much respected although there''s a slight problem at the Colchester end owing to the cheque "being in the post" but I am sure it will be resolved.[:P]

Some of the Bromley chaps thought we were a "very big and very physical side" but we printed the tickets for them and have offered a pre season friendly like your goodselves and now they think it could be the start of a good relationship.

Funny old game football, Nutty.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Some of the Bromley chaps thought we were a "very big and very physical side" but we printed the tickets for them and have offered a pre season friendly like your goodselves and now they think it could be the start of a good relationship.

[/quote]

Just for clarity, which we are you talking about this time?

Am I the only one that gets confused?

[quote user="swindoncanary"]The local news down here have said that Norwich have offered The Paulton board a visit to Norwich for a match and also offered to play Paulton in a pre season match. [/quote]

Hmm! Not sure this gets past Delia''s Secretary but we can wait and see.

[/quote]

I see you''ve been back at that old bingo bag again, nigel.

Talk about Pompous (p)Rick.

OTBC

[quote user="NorfolkChance"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just for clarity, which we are you talking about this time?

Am I the only one that gets confused?

[/quote]

[:)]

No.

OTBC

[quote user="swindoncanary"]The local news down here have said that Norwich have offered The Paulton board a visit to Norwich for a match and also offered to play Paulton in a pre season match. [/quote]

No problem with us being ''nice'' off the pitch.  Think that our pre-season jaunt to Dartford went down well as well.  Links with smaller clubs gives both sets of fans a different perspective and can only be good for the game.  Also helps to demonstrate the financial differences at different levels of the football pyramid - after all what keeps a club going for a couple of seasons at one level wouldn''t pay a players weekly wage at another!

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I think you can be both.  I think you are pretty much respected although there''s a slight problem at the Colchester end owing to the cheque "being in the post" but I am sure it will be resolved.[:P]

Funny old game football, Nutty.

[/quote]

"Big and physical side eh!" Have also heard Colchester''s playing style under Boothroyd described as "effective." Sounds like he is implementing the style of football we all know and love from his watford days. Its effective though at this levelk I will give you that!

As for the slight problem with Colchester and the cheque could not give a flying f**k what Colchester United think of us. It is one of the biggest embarrassments of our current predicament that we even find teams like Colchester on our radar at all.

[/quote]I was listening to five live on Sunday and to Lee Dixon, he said something about Arsenal which I think is perhaps true of Norwich too to a certain degree.The biggest problem we had with our ''nice'' label was our approach to football. We had good footballers but not a greatly physical team. We would be one goal to the better and managers like Worthington would try and get our team to hold onto that for the last ten fifteen minutes of a game. The problem with that is that you need to dig your heels in and we were caught short of battlers like Russell and Holt who stick it to them.Against Paulton I think we saw that whilst the ''friendly'' spirit of the players was apparent at the end of the game, they didnt score three goals and then let Paulton have the ball. They kept going - some would argue that it is not very ''nice'' but in fairness if we had done anything other than score at least four or five goals the papers and moaners would have said how poorly Norwich performed against them.In previous years that would have been our second string team, this year it was our first team and they got a result that reflected on the gulf between the teams.

It''s a little bit of selective memory there Chicken. The last time we went away to non league opposition was under Grant and he fielded the side he''d inherited from Worthy.

Gallacher

Colin Doherty Shackell Drury

Croft Safri Etuhu Huckerby

Dublin Earnshaw

It would be interesting to see how our current team would perform against them.

I was never suggesting and it certainly wasn''t suggested on this thread that we should be "nice" on the pitch. We were proffessional and got respect for that as well as respect for being a nice club off the pitch. We also get huge respect around the country not just for the number of our supporters but also the quality.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I see you''ve been back at that old bingo bag again, nigel.

Talk about Pompous (p)Rick.

OTBC

[/quote]

What do you mean by "been back on that old bingo bag again"?

I wasn''t talking about you, honest.

[quote]
Gallacher

Dublin Earnshaw[/quote]Grant vs Lambert and our current team ?  I''d back Lambert, as he seems to be a much more capable manager.

It''s a little bit of selective memory there Chicken. The last time we went away to non league opposition was under Grant and he fielded the side he''d inherited from Worthy.

Gallacher

Dublin Earnshaw

I was never suggesting and it certainly wasn''t suggested on this thread that we should be "nice" on the pitch. We were proffessional and got respect for that as well as respect for being a nice club off the pitch. We also get huge respect around the country not just for the number of our supporters but also the quality.

[/quote]

A thread about Paulton Rovers and even your mate Worthy gets a mention Nutty.Was there any need to add on "and he fielded the team he''d inherited from Worthy".

Has anyone said that Lambert fielded the team he inherited from Gunn on Saturday.No,because it is a ridiculous statement to make which has no bearing on the professionalism or attitude taken towards the game in question.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Gallacher

Dublin Earnshaw

[/quote]

A thread about Paulton Rovers and even your mate Worthy gets a mention Nutty.Was there any need to add on "and he fielded the team he''d inherited from Worthy".

Has anyone said that Lambert fielded the team he inherited from Gunn on Saturday.No,because it is a ridiculous statement to make which has no bearing on the professionalism or attitude taken towards the game in question.

[/quote]

I don''t know what point you are trying to make Tilly. I was replying to Chickens point that "In previous years that would have been our second string team, this year it was our first team and they got a result that reflected on the gulf between the teams."

The reason I said the team Grant inherited from Worthy was to underline the strength of the team and not to confuse it with the team Grant built himself. You remember the one don''t you? The one you and I watched at QPR a few months later.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]But tilly, all the players in that starting 11, apart from Gallacher, were bought by Worthington.[/quote]Gallacher was signed by Worthy as well.Shackell was from the youth team, but worthy signed the rest.Paulton team for comparison:Worthy: Doherty, DruryGrant: Lappin, RusselRoeder: HoolahanGunn: Holt, Tudur Jones, Wiggins, McDonald, Nelson, AskouYouth Team: Rudd, Smith, Martin

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I think its a damn fine gesture to make and hopefully a partnership / friendship that can go on to serve both clubs well !
I think football is becoming to much about  the money so setting up deals etc between clubs out of respect / friendship is a step in the right direction.

Despite this whole "nice" tag I think this is a good move by our board !
[/quote]

Perhaps this has been suggested because the match was played in such good spirit.

I don''t remember a bad foul in the entire 90 mins, particularly from Paulton, which you might have expected based solely on the fact that they were amateurs up against professionals and more likely to mis-time tackles. To their great credit they also didn''t resort to deliberately trying to kick us off the park which many other sides try to do when there''s such a gulf in class.

I hope it comes off.

On behalf of all at Paulton Rovers well done, outclassed us and best of luck towards your dream of Wembley and undoubtedly promotion on your current form.I hope when we have our pre season friendly you will be a championship side. I know may of our growing support have adopted ''The Canaries'' as their second or third team and will follow your results for years to come. I suspect that will be reciprocated as many Norwich fans will look out for us as we strive to progress up the non league pyramid. We won last night to blow away the reality cobweb and moved into sixth place in the Zamaretto Southern league Divison One South & West.To all Norwich supporters who came to Winterfield Road, the club and surrounding pubs you were a credit to the club.We are are all volunteers still ploughing through the back log of mail orders for programmes (not many left), tee and replica (PRFC) shirts, metal pin badges (scarves have sold out), so a little patience Yours in football.

Hi Ziderman - I''m sure it won''t just be Norwich fans who are looking out for your results from now on. The exposure on national tv will have got you new followers from all over the country. Many of us had never heard of Paulton Rovers before we drew you in the cup. Many people throughout the country have been made aware now because of the TV. This is how allegiances are often formed and I don''t doubt you will gain more fans, especially when you play away, because of it. I couldn''t go on Saturday but I have spoken to plenty who did and they all had good things to say about your club and fans.

As for those posters on here who believe our club is a laughing stock I hope you''re reading Zidermans post. This is the reaction I find when I meet fans all over the country. The laughing stock label is really only found on internet message boards. The truth is out there! So to quote my friend Tilly (hope you like the avatar old boy) "you need to get out more".

thank you ziderman, your team was great to watch and provided good tv entertainment, in a good way.

Delia loved the catering, and you are welcome to play us in a pre-season friendly.

your team made a good account of themselves.

thank you

Good win for Norwich. We were kept informed all afternoon whilst Paulton beat AFC Hayes 3-1. Thanks for the lessons last Saturday its paying off as we move into fifth place in the Zamarretto Southern League Division One South & West. The Canaries are the only side to have beaten us since the 5th September.

Thanks Ziderman.  As mentioned previously you''ve got a good side - you could easily have scored in the first 10 minutes and it could have been a different game.  Likewise I think if you had met us 12 months ago it would have been a lot closer

I do keep half an eye on Zamaretto league stuff - two of our local sides also play in the league (Lowestoft and Kings Lynn) and I think youre more than capable of going up another division

Good luck for the rest of the season - if you do get promoted into the Premier division I''ll try and get to the game at Lynn to cheer you on

Thanks for all your nice comments ziderman.

Forgetting the result I think I can speak for all of us who travelled down to North Somerset for the game in saying that we all enjoyed the day. Everyone we  met was very friendly and the threatened bad weather that was forecast but never came to much.

If it''s any small consolation I''m convinced you''ll have overall FA Cup bragging rights as I''m pretty certain we won''t win as many Cup games as you did this year.

Ziderman

Thanks for following up with more information regarding your team. I think most City fans who either went to the cup tie or who watched on TV will indeed have fallen just a little bit in love with your club and the romance of the FA Cup. Despite the big teams winning it year after year, it''s really the early ties which keep the love for the cup alive.

Nutty probably speaks for many of us, yes we are generally well liked in the world of football. We have had our ups and downs, like many clubs, but our spirit is still there and I for one would be proud to keep our links with Paulton Rovers, much the same as I am proud to still watch out for Sunderland as a result of our Milk Cup final game with them many moons ago.

On a personal level, the kinship we forge with fans of other clubs keeps the love of football alive. I have met many fans from numerous clubs over the years and forged many friendships. It''s what football is all about, not as many TV fans think, all about winning and money.

Best of luck to you all and I hope that we do indeed manage to come back to Winterfield Road in a pre season friendly and look forward to seeing your club representatives at a game at Carrow Road.