Sign in to follow this  
Suffolk exile

Fleck's Swindon goal

Anyone else remember Fleck''s fantastic goal, volleyed with the outside of his right foot in front of the Barcaly against Swindon? I think this is the last time I will have seen the Robins before tomorrow

Got a feeling it was the first game of Delia''s reign, for some reason despite it being the usual roasting first day of the season they turned all the tap water off. My now wife has not attended a game since in protest! (I feel that perhaps she just doesn''t like football)

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]Anyone else remember Fleck''s fantastic goal, volleyed with the outside of his right foot in front of the Barcaly against Swindon? I think this is the last time I will have seen the Robins before tomorrow

Got a feeling it was the first game of Delia''s reign, for some reason despite it being the usual roasting first day of the season they turned all the tap water off. My now wife has not attended a game since in protest! (I feel that perhaps she just doesn''t like football)[/quote]My first ever Norwich game.Walkers return as manager, and a 2-0 win if I remember right?

If i recall correctly this was the first game of Walker''s 2nd spell in charge at the start of the 1996/7 season, i think we won comfortably, 2-0? I also remember us challenging Bolton untill November where the wheels well and truly came off and we didn''t win a game untill the x-mas period.I think the last we played Swindon was the end of the following season when Walker was sacked after back-to-back 5-0 home victories.

Look at the attendance, first game of the season and all.[:O]

Football League Championship - KO 15:00
Norwich   2 (2) - 0(0)Swindon
Johnson 26
Fleck 37

At Carrow Road on 17-08-1996

Norwich: Gunn ,Mills ,Newman ,Eadie ,Polston ,Crook ,Adams ,Fleck (Akinbiyi ,82 ) ,Milligan (Sutch ,71 ) ,Johnson ,O''Neill
Subs not used: Bradshaw,

Swindon: Talia ,Darras ,Drysdale ,Leitch ,Allen ,Taylor (Seagraves ,86 ) ,Mark Robinson ,Walters ,Finney (Thorne ,73 ) ,Allison ,Horlock (Watson ,86)

Bookings: Eadie ,Polston (Norwich) Darras ,Drysdale (Swindon)

Attendance: 15165

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Look at the attendance, first game of the season and all.[:O]

Football League Championship - KO 15:00
Norwich   2 (2) - 0(0)Swindon
Johnson 26
Fleck 37

At Carrow Road on 17-08-1996

Norwich: Gunn ,Mills ,Newman ,Eadie ,Polston ,Crook ,Adams ,Fleck (Akinbiyi ,82 ) ,Milligan (Sutch ,71 ) ,Johnson ,O''Neill
Subs not used: Bradshaw,

Swindon: Talia ,Darras ,Drysdale ,Leitch ,Allen ,Taylor (Seagraves ,86 ) ,Mark Robinson ,Walters ,Finney (Thorne ,73 ) ,Allison ,Horlock (Watson ,86)

Bookings: Eadie ,Polston (Norwich) Darras ,Drysdale (Swindon)

Attendance: 15165

[/quote]

Interesting stuff, nbs.  Regarding your signoff quote, I always thought the lyric was "light the corners of my mind," not "like the corners of my mind."  Now I have to check the internet to see who''s right.  I hope you are so I can learn something new today.  My closing quote comes from the best Dire Straits (and pretty much the best ANYBODY song ever) Industrial Disease. [Y] 

Remember the game well, my family had moved to Peterborough when I was 7 or 8 from Norfolk and had to rely on my dad to take me to games. Eventually I persuaded my parents I was old enough to go on my own and this was the first game I went to, under my own steam. Brilliant atmosphere with Walkers return, we played pretty well at the start of that season and then faded badly.

that was my first time in the Barclay (Had been in the south stand before that)... i have sat in the exact same seat since.. jesus!