Sign in to follow this  

Just saw a post saying about our reliance on holt, and it got me thinking about a weakness of his or the team.One thing holt tends to do that frustrates me is drift out wide with the ball. as far as im converned he should be staying in the centre waiting for the ball to come into the area, but time and time again, he ends up putting a ball in when he should be receiving it. is this a winger issue or genuinely something he needs to stop doing? or is it ok?i think not

He has done this throughout his career, he''s a workhorse that put''s in 100% every game, although it can be frustrating at times when you want to see him in the box, the reason he is out there in the first place is for his hunger to get the ball...no coach will ever talk it out of him, ask any shrewsbury fan and they would have told you exactly this before we signed hima great player at this level, gives everything, great in the air, good finisher but due to his own willingness to get the ball back is sometimes frustratingly not in his position in the centre of the pitch

[quote user="The Lord"]He has done this throughout his career, he''s a workhorse that put''s in 100% every game, although it can be frustrating at times when you want to see him in the box, the reason he is out there in the first place is for his hunger to get the ball...no coach will ever talk it out of him, ask any shrewsbury fan and they would have told you exactly this before we signed hima great player at this level, gives everything, great in the air, good finisher but due to his own willingness to get the ball back is sometimes frustratingly not in his position in the centre of the pitch [/quote]yeah, it makes me wonder whether his over enthusiasm for the ball would cost us though as he isnt going to be in the area receiving the cross when he is arguably our greatest asset attackingly.

Roberts had this tendency if you remember.

Once we get a player(s) in that can get to the by-line with pace, he will be less tempted to stray.

Having said all that, Holt is a diamond who could certainly play in the Championship. As Graham Paddon''s Beard said to me on Sat. - He reminds me of Hucks in that whenever he gets the ball you get to the edge of your seat.

On top all that, he is now playing in a team that is well organised, well coached with a damn good manager.

Holty - Your the man. All we need is to work out a good song/chant for him!!!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Roberts had this tendency if you remember.

Once we get a player(s) in that can get to the by-line with pace, he will be less tempted to stray.

Having said all that, Holt is a diamond who could certainly play in the Championship. As Graham Paddon''s Beard said to me on Sat. - He reminds me of Hucks in that whenever he gets the ball you get to the edge of your seat.

On top all that, he is now playing in a team that is well organised, well coached with a damn good manager.

Holty - Your the man. All we need is to work out a good song/chant for him!!![/quote]Problem is the alternative is a John Hartson, Sibierski or worse . . . . . Some target men do sod all but sit and wait in the box for it.Modern strikers have to know how to play the channels, I would say he did bloody well on Saturday. He didn''t look to get the ball into the box, more to hold it up and give to someone who could and then try to get into a position to score. He did this a couple of times and missed narrowly with a header.I personally don''t thing its a bad thing. If he does pull out wide you want someone like Rusty attacking the box to get on the end of anything he does put in. Martin should work on heading at around 6'' he should at least be looking to get his head on it if it''s there to be competed for. Perhaps Tudor Jones would help that out a bit too . . . . .

Why is a problem that he wants the ball all the time? I tell you now, I feel a lot more confident that something is going to happen when he''s on the ball than any other player in out team.