Sign in to follow this  
TheMarshmallowMan

Time to take a risk?

I will be the first to admit I don''t know much about our finances. I do know, however, we are relatively debt free. I think we have paid off our loans, with TV money, and now are sitting pretty much even, maybe one or two million in debt due to spending money on stadium improvements.

Surely, though, the board must see that the key to a football team''s financial success is being in this division? For that reason, surely it''s a prudent risk to take out yet another loan, in order for us to have the best chance possible to stay here? And surely, if that risk fails, shouldn''t we be covered by the parachute payments we get on relegation?

What I''m asking, is it time for the countries best run club to throw caution to the wind and draw another loan?

i think you''ll find, the tv and promotion money paid for Huckerby, svensson, mckenzie, helveg, jonson, safri, bently, doherty, charlton, ward and gallacher. Yes, some of these were free or cheap. but wages however arent cheap. this is without mentioning promotion clauses, goal clauses for the likes of drury, mckenzie, svensson etc.

I would estimate that the club is still around 10 - 15 million in debt, and the 6 million annual losses from last season, and 4 million the previous season haven''t helped the situation.

the loans aren''t too bad, as they are structured long term, which i believe are being paid back over a period of 15 - 20 years.

im inclined to think the club may take a risk to a point, and maybe will cough up the money for a player like ashton as he can only get better so its an investment because theres a good chance he can be sold in a few years for a lot more than 3 million. also i can see an out of favour premiership player joining on loan till the rest of the season. (probably midfielder)