Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Drury back to his best

After a string of injuries Adam Drury now seems back to his best.  In my opinion he was one of a number of players who could have got man of the match against Swindon. 

I think he is getting better, but he gave the ball away cheaply against Leeds, against Swindon he gave it away under no pressure 3 times in the 1st 5mins. I think he''s been turned inside out on a couple of attacks. This is Division 3, he needs to keep up his improvement to get back to his best. I''m not slagging him off, just my honest appraisal of one of our favourites who i think could do even better.

Yeah, it was a nervous performance from him against Leeds.

But other than that he''s been doing alright and a run of games has clearly done a lot of good.

Drury''s main problem is his reluctance to put a tackle in.  So often you see him back off the player 10-15 yards which allows them to put a cross in when he could quite comfortable put a foot in and knock it away from the player.  Not sure if he fears another injury if he goes in to a lot of tackles or weather it''s just the way his play has developed but I vividly remeber him pushing people out wide and then stepping in time after time where as now he almost invites players to whip a ball in.Not all critisism though, his attacking play is great and when he does put a foot in the tackles are top quality, the injuries have definately effected his game, not quite the player he was 5 years ago but that understandable given the time he''s had.  Maybe he''s found his level again in League 1, still think that last season (when he played) he was rubbish, but this season its nice to see Drury back to his best.Surely he''s coming up to a testamonial now too?

[quote user="They Call Me Gary"]Drury''s main problem is his reluctance to put a tackle in.  So often you see him back off the player 10-15 yards which allows them to put a cross in when he could quite comfortable put a foot in and knock it away from the player.  Not sure if he fears another injury if he goes in to a lot of tackles or weather it''s just the way his play has developed but I vividly remeber him pushing people out wide and then stepping in time after time where as now he almost invites players to whip a ball in.

Not all critisism though, his attacking play is great and when he does put a foot in the tackles are top quality, the injuries have definately effected his game, not quite the player he was 5 years ago but that understandable given the time he''s had.  Maybe he''s found his level again in League 1, still think that last season (when he played) he was rubbish, but this season its nice to see Drury back to his best.

Surely he''s coming up to a testamonial now too?
[/quote]

I seem to remember him putting in a great tackle against Charlton... or Orient which resulted in their player getting sent off... did you jsut not see that?

[quote user="They Call Me Gary"]Drury''s main problem is his reluctance to put a tackle in.  So often you see him back off the player 10-15 yards which allows them to put a cross in when he could quite comfortable put a foot in and knock it away from the player.  Not sure if he fears another injury if he goes in to a lot of tackles or weather it''s just the way his play has developed but I vividly remeber him pushing people out wide and then stepping in time after time where as now he almost invites players to whip a ball in.

Not all critisism though, his attacking play is great and when he does put a foot in the tackles are top quality, the injuries have definately effected his game, not quite the player he was 5 years ago but that understandable given the time he''s had.  Maybe he''s found his level again in League 1, still think that last season (when he played) he was rubbish, but this season its nice to see Drury back to his best.

Surely he''s coming up to a testamonial now too?
[/quote]

I actually think he sliding tackles are some of the best around he rarely gets it wrong and surely its the mark of a good defender if you don''t dive in when you can''t get the ball?????

At Least He Will Tackle!...... Unlike Otsemobor On The Other Side Who Just Backs Off The Whole Time And Lets Players Through! If We Had Another Drury On The Right Then Our Defence Would Be Very Strong!