Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

HMRC applying to have Southend put into admin

Wizard: "Please Sirs, let me come back out of the corner and play."

Stooges: "Later! Bartender....bring us another. We''re having so much fun." 

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I do know from a relative of his that the reason we saw Alex Revell playing for Swindon last Saturday is that he is one of several Southend players whose wages could not be met by the club and consequently, they were offered for loan.

[/quote]

Absolutely correct and Revell today has pointed out that there were massive probs at Southend because players were not being paid on time something which was leaked several times on to the main Southend message board and promptly denied by the Chairman.

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/4705908.Shrimpers_woes_could_prompt_Revell_move/

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]Are we Canaries or Vultures?!

If the tables were turned I would be sickened to hear other clubs picking over our scraps.

I hope Southend can sort something out for the sake of their fans.[/quote]Unfortunately kil, this is the way football is nowadays. In the professional era a club must take advantage. There''s a big pile with the champions sitting at the top, and everybody wants to be them, because that''s where the money and the glory is. You don''t get there by  giving anyone else a leg-up. Everybody in the organisation is paid good money to do their job and is expected to succeed, or make way for someone who will. As much as we all can sympaphise with football, the game itself, a club must do what it needs to do to progress. Let''s get Chris Killen back in then.

No sympathy for the fans. I doubt more than a handful questioned where the money was coming from when they were ''successful''.

If you are using other people''s money you can hardly squeak when they take measures to get it back.

This all comes back to the nonsense abot club''s having'' ambition''. Sadly too many of these runty little clubs borrow up to their neck then cry crocodile tears whe they are asked to pay it all back.

Ipswich, Luton and now Southend. I can only wonder whether Peterborough are not overstretching themselves.

Expect a good few more before the season is out.

[quote user="City1st"]No sympathy for the fans. I doubt more than a handful questioned where the money was coming from when they were ''successful''. If you are using other people''s money you can hardly squeak when they take measures to get it back. This all comes back to the nonsense abot club''s having'' ambition''. Sadly too many of these runty little clubs borrow up to their neck then cry crocodile tears whe they are asked to pay it all back. Ipswich, Luton and now Southend. I can only wonder whether Peterborough are not overstretching themselves. Expect a good few more before the season is out.[/quote]

Not quite true, I feel.  Southend fans have been deeply concerned about the finances of the club right back to the Jobson era (and probably with good reason).  Like some posters on here they have asked questions of their club to which they have never got an answer.  In many cases, revelations about the origins of the money have come from the fans themselves, not from the club who, if I may say so, have a very long tradition of being economical with the truth. 

I think it highly likely that there may be some "interesting" revelations if the club does, indeed, enter Administration.  It has recently been suggested that one of the "tier" of companies who control Southend is offshore registered and I feel certain this is an avenue down which Her Majesty''s Inspectors of Revenue and Customs may wish to take a stroll. 

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]It sticks in my throat that one weeks wages for a Premiership player is the equivalent to life or death money for a whole club, admittedly at the far end of the national tiers.[/quote]

Way to go?  Email the Premiership stars and ask five of them to cough up a weeks wages?

[+o(]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]It sticks in my throat that one weeks wages for a Premiership player is the equivalent to life or death money for a whole club, admittedly at the far end of the national tiers.[/quote]

Way to go?  Email the Premiership stars and ask five of them to cough up a weeks wages?

[+o(]

[/quote]Not all of them wanted to cough a weeks wages for nurses, why on earth would they for Southend ?