Sign in to follow this  
O.T.B.C

Carrow Road name change

As Newcastle are the latest in a long line of clubs changing their ground, would you be hapy with the ground being changed? I''m talking some stupid name like the Tampon arena etc, but a company who is willing to pay good money and who sound decent enough.

I think I would if it was decent enough and offered a substantial amount of dosh.

Jesus, lets try again:

As Newcastle are the latest in a long line of clubs changing their ground, would you be happy with the ground name being changed? I''m not talking some stupid name like the Tampon arena etc, but a company who is willing to pay good money and who sound decent enough.

I think I would if it was decent enough and offered a substantial amount of dosh.

Very ill, so brain is not functioning properly.

If the situation arose why not, it is clear the club need money, and this is a viable business opportunity.  Everyone will still call it Carrow Road anyway, it will just be called something different by the press and the club.  If it brings in money to the club, which we can invest into the squad then I would be all for it.  I remember a few years back people were talking about us changing to name to the Lotus Arena or something along those lines, so why not the Aviva Arena etc.I don''t know if Holiday Inn would be too happy about it though,

When watching sports events on TV from America where every venue seems to be sponsored, there seems to be a continual reference to it. This is not the route we should be going down in this country. It looks tacky sounds tacky and should be avoided at all costs.

Barcelona never had a sponsor on their shirts for many years -I know now they''ve got a charity unicef on, but imagine if they tried to sponsor the nou camp there would be a riot.

"Everyone will still call it Carrow Road anyway, it will just be called something different by the press and the club"

What - like every calls it''s Ashburton Grove?

I did say to an Arsenal fan - if you hate the name "Emirates Stadium" so much, why don''t you all just call it Ashburton.... he say "oh, yeah, didn''t think of that"... muppet!

The "Colman''s Colloseum" or the "Colman''s Couldron"....?

How about Lotus calling it the "British Racing Green" or just "The Racing Green"? :)

[quote user="B-ru"]Aviva Arena!! Now there''s a tongue twister!![/quote]Simply calling it ''The Aviva'' would have a better ring to it. But please, lets not give them any ideas, this lot would be dangerous with ideas.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Everyone will still call it Carrow Road anyway, it will just be called something different by the press and the club" What - like every calls it''s Ashburton Grove? I did say to an Arsenal fan - if you hate the name "Emirates Stadium" so much, why don''t you all just call it Ashburton.... he say "oh, yeah, didn''t think of that"... muppet![/quote]

But it was a new stadium with the name Emirates named straight away, where as if we changed now, we would always use Carrow Road.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Everyone will still call it Carrow Road anyway, it will just be called something different by the press and the club"

What - like every calls it''s Ashburton Grove?

I did say to an Arsenal fan - if you hate the name "Emirates Stadium" so much, why don''t you all just call it Ashburton.... he say "oh, yeah, didn''t think of that"... muppet![/quote]That''s because the Emirates stadium sounds better and it''s probably been the Emirates since they started playing in it.

I can only think of one team that has renamed an existing ground due to sponsorship, and that''s York City. Aren''t all the other ones new stadiums? (or should that be stadia?)

A name like Coleman''s Mustard Stadium at Carrow Road would be okay because it includes Carrow Road, but I think sponsors probably don''t allow that. I never hear the old stadium name included in the titles over here. It''s a shame, but sponsored stadiums is a fact of life here and will be there too before much longer. It''s already happening. What sucks is the sponsorship is for a set time and unless the same people sponor again the stadium gets a completely new name.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I can only think of one team that has renamed an existing ground due to sponsorship, and that''s York City. Aren''t all the other ones new stadiums? (or should that be stadia?)[/quote]

The Bradford & Bingley Stadium is what was Valley Parade

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Everyone will still call it Carrow Road anyway, it will just be called something different by the press and the club" What - like every calls it''s Ashburton Grove? I did say to an Arsenal fan - if you hate the name "Emirates Stadium" so much, why don''t you all just call it Ashburton.... he say "oh, yeah, didn''t think of that"... muppet![/quote]

But it was a new stadium with the name Emirates named straight away, where as if we changed now, we would always use Carrow Road.

[/quote]Exactly.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I can only think of one team that has renamed an existing ground due to sponsorship, and that''s York City. Aren''t all the other ones new stadiums? (or should that be stadia?)[/quote]Brisbane Road is now the Matchroom Stadium as well.