Sign in to follow this  
canaries1985

Right back trouble

With Otsemebor, spillane and francombe injured and Lambert keen to have smith in midfield whats going to be the best option? Askou right back and doc/ Nelson in middle?

I''d say that''s the extent of the options. As noted on another thread, Hughes is injured too so Rusty may be an unlikely RB tomorrow.

I would stick the Doc out wide!

Remember whet the score was the last time Nelson and Doc were at CB together?

You and I would do that on Football Manager. But would that really work on a bobbly rugby pitch when hoofball is likely? It would leave the midfield really light too.

I''d put Smith there and just get on with it!, it''s only for one game.

Would it would also do is maybe allow us to see Tudor-Jones in the holding role and free Russell into a more advanced position. It could be useful to see how this might work?

OTJ isn''t fit enough for the first team yet...

I think that Korey will end up playing there, then perhaps Gill will slot into Korey''s position?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Would Rhoys Wiggins be able to swap flank?
[/quote]

That may be a good option COTT. Only those at the club know if he could. From what I''ve seen of hime he looks a good player.

Older posters[sn] will remember Geoff Butler, a great full back who could play either side.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Would Rhoys Wiggins be able to swap flank?[/quote]

That may be a good option COTT. Only those at the club know if he could. From what I''ve seen of hime he looks a good player.

Older posters[sn] will remember Geoff Butler, a great full back who could play either side.

[/quote]I wondered if Wiggins could switch? Not ideal though. And is he completely fit?

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Would Rhoys Wiggins be able to swap flank?[/quote]

[/quote]I wondered if Wiggins could switch? Not ideal though. And is he completely fit?[/quote]Wiggins wasn''t involved for the reserves at Ipswich, I suspect thats because he''s in serious contention for the saturday, Drury is fully fit at left back so maybe he will come in at right back.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Romantic"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Would Rhoys Wiggins be able to swap flank?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wondered if Wiggins could switch? Not ideal though. And is he completely fit?
[/quote]
Wiggins wasn''t involved for the reserves at Ipswich, I suspect thats because he''s in serious contention for the saturday, Drury is fully fit at left back so maybe he will come in at right back.
[/quote]

I think it could be that COTT. I haven''t heard he''s injured and I''ve seen him complete 90 minutes for the reserves and in the paint pot at Gillingham. If he can play right side then IMO he''d be a better choice than putting Russell, Smith, Askou or Doc there. Why compromise two positions.

Imagine if he nails it?

He looks the type of player that the fans would like but it''s difficult to judge as I only saw him in a totally one sided game against Stevenage Reserves and the Paint Pot game at Gillingham. Proper first team football is the next step. He was highly rated so lets hope he''s another tick in the right box for Gunny''s signings. Even though that will inspire more posts from Uncle Bob[;)]

well lambert has today stated that Smith wont be there as we miss him too much in midfield so the guessing games continue. could drury switch to right back as the more experienced out of him and wiggins?

drury is so one-footed there''s no way he could play rightback, i''m a huge fan of mr consistency but he will admit himself he hates using his right leg...for me it''s a chose of two:
  • Rhoys Wiggins - Looks the more likely option at the moment after hopefully being fit, highly regarded from palace fans though have no idea whether he has a right foot or not, would be my choice for this one match, wants to impress and has pace and hopefully more concentration then semmy
  • Matt Gill - A defensive midfielder who looks to create, lots of experience, good in the tackle, not as slow as nelson more techincally aware, though not as fast as wiggins and not his natural position
Lambert is again right on not wanting to move smith, we completely lose our shape when mcveigh plays there...better have 1 out of position rather than 2. I would also like to point out that Nelson is not an option...FAR to slow to play full-back, would get skinned all day long, awful on the ground, brilliant in the air.

Well it really is a problem.

I agree that we should not be compromising another area of the pitch just to fit a player at right back, and am releived that Lambert realises the impact of having Korey out of the centre of the park.

Despite all the loanaphobia (as gunn showed the issue is not the contract of the player, but how you gel them as a team, Lambert is using the same set of players far more effectivelyt than Gunn, and its the same with loans, we had too many under Roeder but used properly both roeder and gunn should have got the club survival last season even with the loanees) this is exactly when we should be looking to get a loan player in.

None of the suggestions are good enough (Doc, askou, nelson, rusty, smith, wiggins, gill would all cause us problems) and three players being injured is what the loan system is for.

As far as Omo is concerned, he looked better in the middle (better than Nelson too) than at right back but was still better there than Ots.

But if we cant afford a loanthen I guess the best option is probably either wiggins or gill, or then nelson at right back (why break up askou doc as its the best partnership we have seen at centre back this season?) using rusty to fill if in that plan does not work.

Wiggins or Gill, Wiggins is a FB and Matty Gill has been known to fill in at RB during his time at Exeter. As people have been saying better to only compromise ourselves in 1 position rather than 2.

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]Anyone think that Dario Dumic might be able to do a job there or is he injured?[/quote]

YES YES YES! This Has Been My Point For Ages. Bring Dumic Into The First Team! He Is Good Enough! I''m Hoping That He Will Be In The Sqaud Or On The Bench, And He Didn''t Play In The Reserves On Wednesday, So Just Maybe! [;)]

Dumic Won''t Be Playing! :( Lambert Said In The Match Preview That Any One Below Francomb From The Youth Is Too Young Too Play (Dumic) And That Semi, Spillane And Francomb Are The Only Right Backs.....