Sign in to follow this  
B-ru

GK howlers

Just thinking of GK calamities and this is the record that I can see, were there any others?

Gunn - Ipswich & Ullathorne

A Marshall - Not sure there were any...? (Apart from joining the binners down the road)

Green - Notingham Forest, 2004 ?

D Marshall- Derby County, 2008

Theoklitos-  Colchester U, 2009

Forster- Leeds U, 2009

Rudd- n/a

For Green, the Forest one was August 2003. Also not forgetting the time Darren Kenton passed the ball back to him at Derby and Green succeeded only in kicking fresh air...

David James for Liverpool at Carrow Road quite a few years ago.  We had a corner and Chris Sutton was putting himself about a bit.  Ball came over and James went up and caught it but didn''t much like the close attention from Sutton although the ref seemed quite happy.  James got a bit upset and decided to kick Sutton in the shin which, sadly for him, was witnessed by all in the ground including the ref who promtly gave us a penalty from which we scored.  We went on to win the match. 

[quote user="B-ru"]

Just thinking of GK calamities and this is the record that I can see, were there any others?

A Marshall - Not sure there were any...? (Apart from joining the binners down the road)

[/quote]Hopefully somebody with a better memory can clarify but I''m sure Andy Marshall made the mother of all errors by running out to the corner flag to tackle an oppo player and then rather unsurprisingly getting caught out of position for an oppo goal.Names, dates etc they''re all just a blur try Forest Dec 1994 (his debut after Gunn was injured)?

Green in goal away to Luton Town three seasons ago when he stepped backwards to catch a lob towards goal and tripped over his own feet, thus falling over backwards and allowing the ball to drop untouched into the net.  Hilarious !!!!

[quote user="B-ru"]

[/quote]Someone may be able to give more details, but wasn''t he in goal for a game in 1999 that we lost 3-1.  One of the goals he caught above his head, then as landed he literally headed it out of his hands into the goal.  He also made a mistake on one of the others.  I thought it was against Derby, but I could be wrong.

Beasant for Chelsea against us about 20 years ago. If I remember correctly he tried to clear the ball and missed it completely. I think we won 3-0 as well.

The QPR keeper Cerny tonight made a howler that was incredibly similar to one that Forster made against Leeds.     

Andy Marshall once made a massive howler at home to Bury, we drew 2-2 with them scoring a late equaliser. There was a through ball from a Bury player that the striker chased but Marshall collected it but inexplicably dropped it under no pressure and the striker was left with an own goal

[quote user="paul moy"]The QPR keeper Cerny tonight made a howler that was incredibly similar to one that Forster made against Leeds.     [/quote]

Although it''s difficult to believe, Paul, the Cerny error was worse.

Didn''t Andy Marshal drop a clanger against Bury or Stockport in a Tuesday night game, I seem to remember a long ball forward that he came to collect and let bounce through his legs into the net.

Andy Marshall v Coventry in the FA Cup 1999/2000.

Was at fault for both the goals we conceded. One of them went under his body and the other went straight through his hands.

[quote user="paul moy"]Green in goal away to Luton Town three seasons ago when he stepped backwards to catch a lob towards goal and tripped over his own feet, thus falling over backwards and allowing the ball to drop untouched into the net.  Hilarious !!!![/quote]

Was going to mention this one...4-0 down at halftime v. Luton who had just been promoted was right behind this incident.

Look at Luton now....

[quote user="Big Slob"]What was David Marshall''s error v Derby? Cant remember that one
[/quote]I just checked, it wasn''t against Derby, it was the 3-1 defeat at home in the cup to Coventry in Dec 1999.  One goal was a dropped catch, which came of the back of his head into the goal, another of the goals was also one of his mistakes on the ground where it left a 1 yard tap in for the Cov player.

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="Big Slob"]What was David Marshall''s error v Derby? Cant remember that one
[/quote]I just checked, it wasn''t against Derby, it was the 3-1 defeat at home in the cup to Coventry in Dec 1999.  One goal was a dropped catch, which came of the back of his head into the goal, another of the goals was also one of his mistakes on the ground where it left a 1 yard tap in for the Cov player.[/quote]http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/coventry/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/99/12/11/manual_175927.html&TEAMHD=coventry&DIV=nat1&TEAM=COVENTRY--CITY&RH=Coventry--City&PREV_SEASON=1998

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="Big Slob"]What was David Marshall''s error v Derby? Cant remember that one
[/quote]I just checked, it wasn''t against Derby, it was the 3-1 defeat at home in the cup to Coventry in Dec 1999.  One goal was a dropped catch, which came of the back of his head into the goal, another of the goals was also one of his mistakes on the ground where it left a 1 yard tap in for the Cov player.[/quote]

Marshall wasn''t with us in 1999! The Derby error was last October, he came right out of his box the player went round him and shot he had to run back but didn''t get there in time. The final score was 2-1 Derby.

[quote user="liquid_football"]wasn''t it the on loan simon tracey who ran out of his area towards the touchline in an attempt to tackle a player resulting in calamity.[/quote].. for Dion Dublin to tap into the empty net!

[quote user="liquid_football"]wasn''t it the on loan simon tracey who conceded having run out of his area towards the touchline in an attempt to tackle a player?[/quote]Yes I think you''re right, here''s the Wiki entry:The loan spell that he spent at Norwich City during the 1994-95 season was a nightmare for Tracey. He made three appearances - in the first he ran mindlessly out of his area allowing Coventry to score an easy goal, in the second he was stretchered off with an injury and in the third he let in five goals in an FA Cup tie at Everton. In 2000 when he played at Norwich for Sheffield United he made a similar charge from his area that allowed Norwich striker Craig Bellamy to score.

[quote user="Helen"]

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="Big Slob"]What was David Marshall''s error v Derby? Cant remember that one[/quote]I just checked, it wasn''t against Derby, it was the 3-1 defeat at home in the cup to Coventry in Dec 1999.  One goal was a dropped catch, which came of the back of his head into the goal, another of the goals was also one of his mistakes on the ground where it left a 1 yard tap in for the Cov player.[/quote]

Marshall wasn''t with us in 1999! The Derby error was last October, he came right out of his box the player went round him and shot he had to run back but didn''t get there in time. The final score was 2-1 Derby.

[/quote]we got accused of match fixing because of it

After reading this thread, I had a dream last night that Rudd let a tame effort slip through his grasp inside the first minute at Paulton :S

The Preston GK, against us a few years ago, it was Gary Alexander backpass, and he missed it.....think we won that game 3/4-0 http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10355~15671,00.html there it is :D

Wasnt it Marshall against Bristol at home when Dele Adebola got brought down by Docc, but poor goal kick?

gotta love it when ''own goal'' came up on the score board and everyone chanted ''Sign him up, sign him up''

I can remember Andy Marshall at Carrow Road trying to fist a corner away against Sunderland and fisting it into his own net! Simon tracey tried to dribble past dion dublin who tackled him and allowed Ndlovu to score.

Gunn vs the Binners.. Theo vs Col U.. Regular cock ups from David Marshall!

anyone see Question of sport last night? the "what happens next" from the irish game was funny.. that keeper scored and own goal with a finish so good that Wayne Rooney wishes he could hit a ball like that!