Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We are an unsettled side

I think it''s important to realise that we haven''t been able to name the same 11 from game to game in a long time. I don''t think we can even know what our strongest 11 is as we haven''t seen everyone properly yet.↲This is the line of disruption that we''ve never been able to rose with in the past but is seems to be a different story now. Despite all the enforced chopping and changing Lambert is still getting results even if some are less convincing than others. Which is a really good sign.

Apart from the odd change every side has to make through injury I would say we are more settled in the past half dozen games than we have been for YEARS.

Are you kidding? Have we even once been able to name the same back 5 in consecutive games since Lambert arrived?

This was a major problem last year that Roeder and the players talked about but the difference is that we are still getting results despite having to change the team around.

[quote user="a1canary"]Are you kidding? Have we even once been able to name the same back 5 in consecutive games since Lambert arrived? This was a major problem last year that Roeder and the players talked about but the difference is that we are still getting results despite having to change the team around.[/quote]

Agree entirely, all credit to Lambert for being able to shuffle the squad around and still get decent results, don''t think there are any teams in the top six who''ve had as many injuries as us. A chronic problem for City in the past has been managers who cannot adapt when a players get injured, it speaks volumes for Lambert''s abilities (and those of the players he brings into the squad as replacements) that we can still win games with first team regulars sidelined. If we finally do get to the stage where we have a settled matchday 18 then we will tear this league apart!!! (even more than we have already) Watch your backs Leeds!!!!

I''ve been particularly impressed with how players not involved for long periods or even youngsters making debuts have been able to slot in without major problems being caused.It can''t be easy for a young lad like Francomb to come into the senior side in front of 25,000 fans, unlike the other youngsters he hasn''t got a senior contract and has only just established himself in the reserve side so it''s a rather daunting step up. The fact we have 4/5 youngsters in and around the first team squad must make the others feel comfortable in the surroundings.

Yet another different combination for the defence today! And another win!

Just think what we could do with a full strength, settled defence (and midfield). Would make us almost impossible to beat. Then with Holt and Martin/Cody up top, we''ll always have a chance.

A squad isn''t 11 players, it''s as big as your team can afford. Yes it is nice to play the same players consistantly but the idea of a squad is that, say maybe 18 players can interchange and play to cover injures and to give flexibility with tactics. It''s a bit old fashioned to think of playing the same 11 players week in and week out. I know the situation at Norwich is sometimes forced upon Lambert rather than being of his choice, but this is football.

Simple answer, they are all our players(apart from Forster)who have no place to hide if they don''t pull their weight. And we all know(and them) that if they don''t pull their weight Lambert will have no hesitation in dropping them from the squad,not even a place on the bench.

Forster, Askou, Doc, Russell, Smith, Holt, Hoolahan, Martin and Lappin have all started the majority of the last 10 games which imo is bloody brilliant.Last season we''d have entirely different centre half and striking partnerships every week..

[quote user="Larry David"]Forster, Askou, Doc, Russell, Smith, Holt, Hoolahan, Martin and Lappin have all started the majority of the last 10 games which imo is bloody brilliant.

Last season we''d have entirely different centre half and striking partnerships every week..
[/quote]

That''s 9, not 11. We''d do as well if not better with Rudd from what I''ve heard, so no need to have made that a permanent change although now it has been done, let it be.

If this is due to us having Gary Karsa in our midst... then I think that this could be a master stroke.

People seem to think this is meant as a criticism. It''s not a criticism, it''s a fact. We''ve had a different combination of personnel across the back 5 nearly every game.

Last season a lot was made, by players and management, of this problem and the affect it was having on our results. This season, not only is no-one talking about the obvious disruption much (players and management i mean), but we''re also managing to win in spite of it.

So, not criticism but a positive observation. If we did have settled back line, and our strongest one at that, we''d be an even more potent force in the division.

Well, Drury, ASkou and the Doc have been in for quite a few games together now. The RB has been subject to injuries. The GK position is down to injury/suspension. I don''t think it has been anywhere near as chop and change as last season.