Sign in to follow this  
liquid_football

FA Cup Clichés

I''ll begin proceedings...

"Potential banana skin"

Feel free to add your own favourite cup clichés we can all look forward to reading/ hearing in the media between now and the Paulton Rovers tie.

[quote user="liquid_football"]

"Potential banana skin"

Feel free to add your own favourite cup clichés we can all look forward to reading/ hearing in the media between now and the Paulton Rovers tie.

[/quote]It''s not a ''potential banana skin''. The concept of the banana skin in itself expresses the potential, in that if there is a banana skin on the floor, there is a chance you might slip on it. It would only be a potential banana skin if, say, Paulton Rovers had been drawn against Manchester United and we had been drawn to face the winners: there would then be the potential for a match that had the potential to cause an upset: it would therefore be a potential banana skin. As it stands our tie against Paulton is just a banana skin. The question is, will be slip on it, or will we avoid the embarrassment? And, by the way, has anyone actually ever seen anyone slip on an actual banana skin in reality? I''m not sure they''re as dangerous as they''re made out to be.And don''t get me started on ''stonewall penalty''. What the hell does that mean?

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]Giant killers, I hate it when lower league teams are described as giant killers.[/quote]

...or, alternatively... ''minnows''

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="liquid_football"]

"Potential banana skin"

[/quote]
It''s not a ''potential banana skin''. The concept of the banana skin in itself expresses the potential, in that if there is a banana skin on the floor, there is a chance you might slip on it. It would only be a potential banana skin if, say, Paulton Rovers had been drawn against Manchester United and we had been drawn to face the winners: there would then be the potential for a match that had the potential to cause an upset: it would therefore be a potential banana skin.

As it stands our tie against Paulton is just a banana skin. The question is, will be slip on it, or will we avoid the embarrassment? And, by the way, has anyone actually ever seen anyone slip on an actual banana skin in reality? I''m not sure they''re as dangerous as they''re made out to be.

And don''t get me started on ''stonewall penalty''. What the hell does that mean?
[/quote]

This is football Robert! Cliches don''t have to make any sense[:P] Take Big Ron''s famous ''early doors'' cliche.No sense whatsoever,but still used today!!

And place your bets on how long it will be before we get to see a replay of that Ronnie Radford goal on TV [:p]

I am fully aware that the concept of a "potential banana skin" in this context doesn''t make sense. As already pointed out, the majority of footballing clichés don''t. Never seen anybody slip on a banana skin. I too am doubtful of the danger that they pose.     

Paulton Rovers manager "We aren''t scared of Norwich... They are more likely to think they only need to turn up to win.. my boys are going to prove them wrong and make them look stupid"

Lambert "if we dont win by 20 im resiging!"

thast what they should say....

jas :)

The Paulton Road pitch will make this game a lottery.  It''s a real equaliser for the bigger clubs, particularly Norwich City with their Premiership-standard facilities.

the pitch being a leveller is a classic...one that is also absolute nonsense, there is a reason the players are at a higher level, because there better!It doesn''t matter what pitch your on, if both teams play on the same surface then the class 9/10 will shine through, this has nothing to do with the pitch but the attitude of the players

Norwich....only a few seasons ago of the Premiership....taking on Paulton Rovers of the Zimmerframe Southern Division. This is stuff dreams are made of!

"Plucky underdogs""Their centre forward is a butcher, and he''ll be looking to have the opposition defence on the block tonight""It''s a fairytale, but will it have a happy ending?"

herman - close call their with that effort. As commendable as it was, it wasn''t exactly spot on. You certainly deserve praise though [:p] now the game is on TV I''m sure there is potential for a FA Cup cliche bingo/ drinking game.