Sign in to follow this  
Croydon Canary

Just how good is Holt v Iwan Roberts.

well, he seems to have more energy and does more running! - holt

but i never remember seeing roberts as this was when i 1st started watching the games!02-03

I wasn''t watching Norwich for the Roberts years so I can''t really compare the two, but Holt definately seems to be a good player.  He is strong, good in the air, knows where the goal is and for a big guy he is good with his feet technically.  One thing that does annoy me a lot though is he gives away far to many needless free kicks.  Some times he is harshly treated by refs but a lot of the time he does give away silly free kicks which he needs to cut out of his game.

Overall, good player, I think he will defiantely score twenty goals this season.

Iwan was dreadful when he started for Norwich, didnt he put it down to a toe injury or something? i remember a leeds fan calling him ''king iwan'' and telling me to keep the faith with him.

I think that something Iwan always had was the ability to be at the right place at the right time, if Holt gets that then he has better all-round attributes to be bigger than Iwan for this club. Onwards and upwards i hope.

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Holt is in the THIRD divisionRobbo was in the SECOND division.Not taking anything away from Holt, just putting it in perspective.[:)][/quote]True. But then Iwan is not as versatile as Holt. You would never have seen Iwan on the flanks looking to put that cross in, or tracking back to put that tackle in.

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Holt is in the THIRD divisionRobbo was in the SECOND division.Not taking anything away from Holt, just putting it in perspective.[:)][/quote]True. But then Iwan is not as versatile as Holt. You would never have seen Iwan on the flanks looking to put that cross in, or tracking back to put that tackle in. [/quote]They''re both about the same when it comes to defending in their own box, though... [:D]

loved iwan but it''s holt for me. brings more to the side with his overall game play. Iwan upfront with Holt and Wes just behind... now that would be a lethal strike force. overall though our three main forwards (martin as the third) are all very good and all heading to double figures.

[quote user="The Chirp"]loved iwan but it''s holt for me. brings more to the side with his overall game play.

Iwan upfront with Holt and Wes just behind... now that would be a lethal strike force.

overall though our three main forwards (martin as the third) are all very good and all heading to double figures.
[/quote]

A time machine might be handy here. Iwan did a magnificent service for this club. Both very good players, end of.

[quote user="Croydon Canary"]Joined City at the same age,is he possibly a better player .[/quote]I just can''t say really, apart from the division difference.  Holt does pop up all over the pitch, but sometimes you wish he wouldn''t because at times he''s doing somebody elses job.  Iwan did defend when he had to.  IMO it''s more about the service they receive.  BOTH would and would''ve score more if we had a couple of Eadies or Foxes on each wing.  I remember Iwan going through a lean spell half way through his City career purely because the servic he was getting was non existent.

I would like to see Holt next to Roberts, I said to my mates at football, that Holt is not the best target man but is a very intelligent player, he does the channels well.

As with Lambert/Worthington we can hope he''s as good and maybe dream he will be better but as it stands no way. Iwan did his stuff at a much higher level, a level that Holt has never been deemed good enough to play in.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

As with Lambert/Worthington we can hope he''s as good and maybe dream he will be better but as it stands no way. Iwan did his stuff at a much higher level, a level that Holt has never been deemed good enough to play in.

[/quote]Hopefully we''ll find out soon

[quote user="Slow The Bgger Down"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Hopefully we''ll find out soon
[/quote]

I agree with that.

To be fair I don''t really know why Holt has never been a Championship target. He''s strong and clever. He see''s opportunities and is sharp. It can only be lack of pace surely so he could be fine with pace around him.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Slow The Bgger Down"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Hopefully we''ll find out soon[/quote]

I agree with that.

To be fair I don''t really know why Holt has never been a Championship target. He''s strong and clever. He see''s opportunities and is sharp. It can only be lack of pace surely so he could be fine with pace around him.

[/quote]Maybe he has had offers in the past, but no guarantee of first team footie?  Perhaps he''s been waiting for a chance to play his way to the Championship?

[quote user="Slow The Bgger Down"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Slow The Bgger Down"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with that.

[/quote]

Maybe he has had offers in the past, but no guarantee of first team footie?  Perhaps he''s been waiting for a chance to play his way to the Championship?
[/quote]

He could have. You get no argument from me. But until he does I wouldn''t like to compare him to Iwan.

Worthy rated him, not sure if it ever got as far as an offer though. Mind you, that may sway some folk the other way[;)]

Has to be Iwan, played at a higher level throughout his career. Holt still has to prove himself above the 3rd tier, I would love to see him get the opportunity at Norwich. Iwan was very good at holding the ball up and bringing others in to play, a better play to play it into than Holt. Holt runs the channels better and has a better work rate than just about any forward I have seen.I am probably big fan of Holt as at the moment this club desperately needs a hero, when Iwan was first at the club we still had Eadie and Bellamy coming through.

For me Iwan was simply a legend.  Different style, different league, different time so comparison isn''t really possible.  If Holt sticks around he has all the potential to achieve similar if he can produce it when we go up.  More than anything I like his leadership on the field and the professional way he conducts himself off it.  A refreshing change from those that we''ve had inflicted on us over the past couple of years or so. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Slow The Bgger Down"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Slow The Bgger Down"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with that.

[/quote]

Maybe he has had offers in the past, but no guarantee of first team footie?  Perhaps he''s been waiting for a chance to play his way to the Championship?
[/quote]

He could have. You get no argument from me. But until he does I wouldn''t like to compare him to Iwan.

Worthy rated him, not sure if it ever got as far as an offer though. Mind you, that may sway some folk the other way[;)]

[/quote]

According to the Shropshire Star[:P] Holt was "watched" by Championship clubs while at Shrews but apparently none so moved to make an offer.

The record I think is held by the currently injured Andy Bishop who I would guess has been linked with everyone from the Premier downwards.  And yet he has still not moved.  I do believe he has been linked to you as well.

Anyway what I want to know is why Lambert hired useless lump (Lincoln City view) Lee Beevers and dumped him on Colchester? 

Had he already had the call from Norwich?

That''s a joke by the way.  Or sort of anyway.[:|]