Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

Dodgy Penalties - Our Turn

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I haven''t seen it.

We have been penalised unfairly several times.   We have lost points and players because of debatable penalty decisions.

There has been a lot of criticism of Docherty''s foul on Saturday but the tv replay kindly provided by Wiz shows it was a clear penalty.   The ref gave a foul for Doc''s mauling of Dobie so the offence is not in dispute. 

BUT, Doc is clearly in the area as he is standing behind Dobie whose feet are on the line.  If it is a foul then it is a penalty.  No argument.

So, the luck has gone with us for once.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I haven''t seen it.

We have been penalised unfairly several times.   We have lost points and players because of debatable penalty decisions.

There has been a lot of criticism of Docherty''s foul on Saturday but the tv replay kindly provided by Wiz shows it was a clear penalty.   The ref gave a foul for Doc''s mauling of Dobie so the offence is not in dispute. 

BUT, Doc is clearly in the area as he is standing behind Dobie whose feet are on the line.  If it is a foul then it is a penalty.  No argument.

So, the luck has gone with us for once.

[/quote]he''d started climbing over the back of him outside the area but i agree i could have seen a penalty being given, it would have been harsh though.

but was Dobie in the area as well? The contact probably began outside, if you look at the video. In fact although I am a critic of Doc for bear hugging, I felt that the guilty one was Dobie who backing into and pushing Doc backwards. Doc was trying to hold him away as much as stop him.It may have been a marginal decision, and there do not seem to have been many protests at the time. There were one or two occasions where we had claims - Drury''s right leg was held back by the grounded keeper and prevented him from moving freely.I think that a penalty and possibly a red card would have been an even bigger travesty than  usual.I wish that Doc would give up on the all-in wrestling and merely hold his ground.

Referees are despite what most people think not complete fools. They know there is a hugh differnce between a foul outside the box and a penalty, and I say this as a ref. It was almost certainly one of those situations where if clearly in the box he would have waved it away and outside given a foul. When I was trained all the pro Refs said was ONLY give it in the box if you are absolutely certain it is a stonewall foul, if in doubt do not give it. I think that is sound advice and one maybe more Refs should listen to.I watched the replay carefully and certainly Doc retreated then stood his ground and ended up with the forward crawling all over him trying to push him over. I know from when I used to play if you fall over you may not get a foul and it is therfore very easy to balance by keeping backing player away from your body which I believe is all Doc did. If the forward had stopped backing would not have looked a foul at all. As the commentator said both players will argue they have been fouled!If you watch carefully later in second half when Askou was beaten the forward had both his hands wrapped round Askou at one stage as he backed into him and there was no foul given there!I think Lambert has been very astute to keep is comments to himself recently even after MKDons when we was definitely robbed by a very weak referee. Refs notice when managers have a go at their colleagues and bear that in mind when they go to that match ( whatever they say)

as does askou and virtually every other central defender in the country as well as most big forwards who do it backwards so to speak, the only diff is people are watching doc waiting for it whereas askou done exactly the same and no one mentioned a word although i guess he was forgiven as he let go and allowed their striker to have a free shot

[quote user="Norwich"]Backs up my point nicely Dronny, he may have a decent game but still uses his bear hug.[/quote]It does make you wonder... I mean, these are professional footballers who spend each day training and working hard to improve their game. And the single worst part of Doherty''s game is that he is constantly man-handling opposing strikers. Has anyone ever stopped him and said, look, Doc, you''ve got to stop doing it, you''re giving away too many free-kicks and penalties - if you just tidied it up and kept your arms to yourself your game would improve.Doherty''s a decent defender, but the reason he gets a lot of stick is because of his clumsiness and inability to man mark without bear hugging. If he sorted out those two things - people would be more able to appreciate all the good defending he does do.

wondered how long until the old penalty myth  raised its head again. im sure he has only conceded ONE penalty in the last 2 seasons, not bad at all esp when compraed to stefanovic who conceded about 4 in 10 games

I can''t help but wonder why the refs never seem to give free kicks and penalties for all these bear hugs and rugby tackles you lot see from The Doc[^o)]

Do you think he bribes them[:^)]

He must put more money in the refs skyrocket than Delia spends at the airport[:O]

I still maintain that if you go to the BBC News website, 1 minute 49 seconds in, and watch Askou''s defending then you will see something which, had the Doc "done it", would have had everyone baying for blood.  But it''s fine, it''s Askou, let''s not even mention it.