Sign in to follow this  
Yellowfuture

Jumping Ship In The New Year

There`s a lot of stuff going on here about players leaving in the new year during the transfer window. It`s not just about Wes, there are lots of potential  candidates for a move if we are doing well. I cant see why any of our guys would want to move if  we are still winning, they will be playing all their home games in front of a large vocal crowd who will  lift and support their every move, where are these guys going to go? Possibly a Championship Club who more than likely will have a smaller home gate than us, at Norwich they will be big fish in a small pond, local press coverage will be flattering to them and they will be hoping for promotion at the end of  the season. Why would they leave?

I don''t think at this stage, there are any players who could make an impact with a top 6 Champ team let alone the Prem. I hope and think that Lambo would say no if he felt it would benefit the club by turning down bids, although I suspect that finances may dictate high end earners leaving.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t think at this stage, there are any players who could make an impact with a top 6 Champ team let alone the Prem. I hope and think that Lambo would say no if he felt it would benefit the club by turning down bids, although I suspect that finances may dictate high end earners leaving.[/quote]Yup. Economics rules, I''m afraid.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t think at this stage, there are any players who could make an impact with a top 6 Champ team let alone the Prem. I hope and think that Lambo would say no if he felt it would benefit the club by turning down bids, although I suspect that finances may dictate high end earners leaving.[/quote]

I wonder about the money v fame question. If players are on a roll  at a  biggish club like us and getting all the positive press stuff etc. how much extra money would  it  take to  drag them away, say to a  mid table Championship club with a very outside chane of going up?   

Neil Adams touched on this with a Canary Caller after the Carlisle game.The difference between D3 and D2 (forget this L1 b*ll*cks!) in terms of finances is huge, even taking into account our gates.Of course, if we''re looking good for playoffs at least come January it puts us in a much stronger position both in terms of the player wanting to stay and taking a calculated gamble on the extra revenue promotion would bring.In short, nothing is set in stone and we could well end up keeping most if not all of our current squad. My worry would be a big offer coming in for one or more of the younger players who''ve just started to shine.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

There`s a lot of stuff going on here about players leaving in the new year during the transfer window. It`s not just about Wes, there are lots of potential  candidates for a move if we are doing well. I cant see why any of our guys would want to move if  we are still winning, they will be playing all their home games in front of a large vocal crowd who will  lift and support their every move, where are these guys going to go? Possibly a Championship Club who more than likely will have a smaller home gate than us, at Norwich they will be big fish in a small pond, local press coverage will be flattering to them and they will be hoping for promotion at the end of  the season. Why would they leave?

[/quote]

Leeds (Beckford), Charlton (Shelvey) and other top league one teams will also have to deal with interest from higher teams.

It''s natural order.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

Leeds (Beckford), Charlton (Shelvey) and other top league one teams will also have to deal with interest from higher teams.

It''s natural order.

[/quote]

I  agree, but the point I suppose I am trying to make is  that like us Leeds and Charlton are big clubs, like us  punching below their weight, the carrot and the package to get players away from clubs like us, who  are doing well in "div 3" is going to  have to  be pretty big. How big?

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

It''s natural order.

I personally believe Charlton are a L1 size club.

[/quote]

I  agree, but the point I suppose I am trying to make is  that like us Leeds and Charlton are big clubs, like us  punching below their weight, the carrot and the package to get players away from clubs like us, who  are doing well in "div 3" is going to  have to  be pretty big. How big?

[/quote]

[quote user="Herb"]Neil Adams touched on this with a Canary Caller after the Carlisle game.
The difference between D3 and D2 (forget this L1 b*ll*cks!) in terms of finances is huge, even taking into account our gates.
Of course, if we''re looking good for playoffs at least come January it puts us in a much stronger position both in terms of the player wanting to stay and taking a calculated gamble on the extra revenue promotion would bring.

In short, nothing is set in stone and we could well end up keeping most if not all of our current squad. My worry would be a big offer coming in for one or more of the younger players who''ve just started to shine.
[/quote]

I think an offer on the younger players is the more likely senario, will be harder to resist from club and particularly the players point of view.  Cory is the one potentially top quality prospect IMO,  there would be plent of top end Champ clubs prepared to  take a  punt on someone like him. He`s  got the raw ability, great decision making and it would appear a good  temprement to go with it. 

In short terms, everyone has his or her price, and I will call anyone a liar if they denied it, Anyone who is offered a bigger deal elsewhere no matter what job you do you are going to take it, So why should football player''s be expected to remain loyal to any club just to please the fans.

Welcome to the Norwich City X Files.While we''re winning, we can expect a rash of threads to be started which claim to worry about "what will happen when all our best players are sold in January?"  Specific individual threads will include:"Hoolahan off in Jan!  [:''(]""Can we keep Holt in Jan?  [:''(]"And of course, the next time  a Champ manager is sacked, "Can we hang on to Lambo?  [:''(]"This will then turn into another bash the board thread despite the fact nobody has actually been sold yet.  At some point, and particularly if we''re losing games, Smudger will chip in with some more of his uniquely half-baked wisdom.Of course, if we keep losing games then all our players will suddenly be deemed to be rubbish and several threads will be started stating how crap each of them are and how we should sell them ASAP.

Are you trying to take all the fun out of supporting City Mr C?

All this logic stuff spoils a good rumour and a moan, shame on you[:D]

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

The topic was asking an open question about what  motivates players to leave or stay, a general  not specific point.  

[/quote]Yes, I went a bit off topic and wasn''t directing my response at you.  IN no particular order, I''d say:MoneyFameMoneyChance of resurrecting/developing international careerMoneyStatus at present club versus "new" manager''s promisesDistance from LondonMoney

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

The topic was asking an open question about what  motivates players to leave or stay, a general  not specific point.  

[/quote]Yes, I went a bit off topic and wasn''t directing my response at you.  IN no particular order, I''d say:MoneyFameMoneyChance of resurrecting/developing international careerMoneyStatus at present club versus "new" manager''s promisesDistance from LondonMoney[/quote]You forgot Money.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

Yes, I went a bit off topic and wasn''t directing my response at you. 

IN no particular order, I''d say:

Money
Fame
Money
Chance of resurrecting/developing international career
Money
Status at present club versus "new" manager''s promises
Distance from London
Money

[/quote]

I think there is a Norwich /Norfolk  factor. You said fame and I think that could be significant, having lived and worked all over the UK I cant think of many areas where the local  media is so dominated by one team and where players,  who on a  national scale would be  overlooked, can recieve so much local fame and admiration. Footballers generally have big ego`s, you have to  be pretty arrogant on the field to be any good.

Money will always be king but I think there are strong local influences that  would keep players at Norwich if  they were  in a wining team.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Welcome to the Norwich City X Files.

This will then turn into another bash the board thread despite the fact nobody has actually been sold yet. [/quote]Absolutely, paranoid scaremongering, all of it. It''s not like our board (nor the previous) have ever capitalised on a marketable player in a transfer window.In any event, I think this sort of thread serves to keep our feet on the ground and firmly planted in reality. We are a selling club; always will be, until major investment comes in. We can also use these threads to discuss the future should we lose certain players. Personally I''ve extremely happy that our Academy prospects are starting to look really good, in a few areas of the pitch, and so much so that we could conceivably cope with a loss of a senior player here or there. Lambert appears to be planning for the future in the same way, by the look of things.So, maybe there was a point to this thread after all - beyond allowing certain predictable posters to take the high ground, that is.

On a positive note, if we are looking look getting into the playoffs or even the automatic promotion places by January, then if some of our players are looking to do the off we might be able to attract some decent replacements if Lambert feels we need them.

Without meaning to stir the pot (as if...), if a bid came in for one of our youths, not for Theo Walcott money, but the kind of money Delph left Leeds for, say 4 million - could we realistically say no ?

[quote user="CDMullins"]Didnt Delph go for more than Walcott?[/quote]My memory is hazy, but I thought Walcott went for 12 million.  Delphs'' fee to Villa was undisclosed, but I thought I read that he went there for 4 million somewhere.