Sign in to follow this  
Darlo dumplin’

premiership goals and the striker/defence problem

I think we may have failed to grasp the nature of this. fact is that in the premiership goals scored from around and beyond the edge of the penalty area are the NORM, not a freak. take yesterday as an example. Both Chelsea''s goals, Man U''s, 2 of Birmingham''s, both goals in the Palace Spurs game, the Man C goal and Dickov''s for Blackburn were ALL scored from there.Apart from Bentley who do we have that could do that? And when was the last time we did? (Newcastle in August?). The point also being that we don''t play that way, when we get the ball on the edge of the area we try to run the ball onto the goal line. Apart from obviously having to defend these situations we need a number of players, not ust 1, that can score from there too? ...Thoughts?

Absolutelty right. We seem to have to force the ball over the goal line with steady build up play, crosses and moves in the area.

Then 9 times out of 10 our oponents have some gifted striker or midfielder who is capable of just wapping it in from 20 yards with their first shot on goal and it knocks the stuffing out of us.

Part of the problem of scoring these goals is us, the fans - Bentley was new to this at the start of the season and was prepared to try his luck until the villa game when he was villified (sic) for trying shots from distance. Since then he has looked to pass the ball and has become a typical city player - only rarely shooting from distance, just in case the murmours of discontent start again - I cant blame him for this - we encourage shots and then moan when they dont go in the net.

The defence of these efforts revolves around actually going to meet a player further from the box to prevent a shot on goal or at least make it as difficult as possible - we made it easy for Brown, almost inviting him closer, to enable him to get his shot away on sunday as he was not put under any pressue by our defence who are too focused on just defending deep.

OTBC

Maybe Greeno should try kicking his goal kicks longer,they could count in our shots on goal colum & try and beat the shots off target colum.

Apart from Flecky,Robins & Bellamy i cant remember many of our players over the last 30 years who were capable of shooting from outside the box,although i do remember Micky Mguire shooting high wide and hansom every matchday. Now i wonder how many balls did Mguire is responsible for loosing?? If it was nowadays probably just enough to buy us a decent striker

Ah,the Mick Maguire school of shooting...happy days, now spends his time between PFA duties and coaching Jonny Wilkinson

The last time I remember someone having a shot that gave the keeper no chance was when Steeno smashed that one at the River End vs Coventry. Having said that McVeigh has a couple last season

Why not just say it as it is ? ..........  some of our " strikers "   are incompetant  !   they call themselves professionals , yet can`t  even get the basics of their profession  right !! ......... I`m talking about  actually  being able to kick a ball so it  goes INTO the goal ..........   what do we see ?  the bloody ball  going every whichway  but in ............    would it be too much to ask these " professionals " to get off their  ar**oles  and practice this basic  until  it becomes near automatic ??  ........ 

Bentley, Mulryne, Safri and Huckerby are all well capable of scoring from distance. I think Helveg could have a pretty decent shot in his locker too.

They just don''t shoot often enough; we seem to wait for the perfect chance.

So against Portsmouth...Let''s SHOOT!

[quote]Ooh, nice avatar Campbell. I''ve been watching it for 10 minutes now.[/quote]

Heh, still not quite as genius as your avatar!

[quote]Ah, Sensible Soccer. Surely the greatest computer footy game ever?[/quote]

Haven''t played Sensible Soccer! Might be a bit before my time? The only old game I remember was Super Kick-Off, which had a stupidly fast default game speed. The first football game I remember playing was FIFA International (''94) Brilliant game. Won the World Cup with Belgium Then there was the astounding FIFA ''95 which had the almight Norwich on; shooting from the corner of the box was a guaranteed goal!

Happy days

[quote]Haven''t played Sensible Soccer! Might be a bit before my time? The only old game I remember was Super Kick-Off, which had a stupidly fast default game speed. The first football game I remember playing...[/quote]

I had Super Kick-Off too! Sensi Soccer was great as you could edit the teams and keep the Norwich squad up to date. And you could rename some rubbish team as Ipswich and beat them 15-0.