Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Gold on ticket prices as a formula for relegation.

Hmmmmm.......

Gold cautions Yeung on price cut

New Birmingham owner Carson Yeung

Yeung wants to reward fans after a drawn-out takeover process

Outgoing Birmingham chairman David Gold has warned new owner Carson Yeung that reducing ticket prices could lead to the club being relegated.

Yeung has cut the price of a ticket for the Barclays Premier League visit of Manchester City on 1 November.

Gold told BBC Radio 5 live: "The model for reducing prices doesn''t work. In the event that you cut your prices in half you don''t double your attendance.

"Fans will love him but he will get relegated because it doesn''t work."

Gold, who is stepping down after 16 years at St Andrew''s, added: "Often fans say if you cut your prices you will fill the stadium - it is not true.

When the last Carson Yeung attempt to buy the club failed it destabilised the club to an extent that Steve Bruce left, understandably, and we got relegated

Outgoing Birmingham chairman David Gold

"What I have been lobbying for through the Football Association, and particularly when I was in the Football League, was for prices to be cut universally, across the board, every club reducing their prices.

"You can''t do it individually and Carson will find, if he keeps doing it individually, he will get relegated.

"If all your competitors cut their prices it''s fine, it does work.

"But what will happen is the other clubs won''t cut their prices and they will get promoted or not relegated, so the model doesn''t work."

Yeung first attempted to take over the club two seasons ago but a potential deal collapsed and Birmingham were subsequently relegated.

606: DEBATE

onlyme35

Gold accepts he and fellow owner David Sullivan must accept their share of the blame for that, but feels the club is now in good shape as it is handed over.

He said: "One shouldn''t blame Carson Yeung, it was the recession that helped the collapse of the deal two years ago.

"But it was that that got the football club relegated. When the last Carson Yeung attempt to buy the club failed it destabilised the club to an extent that [manager] Steve Bruce left, understandably, and we got relegated.

"We did genuinely believe at the time the deal would go through. Our judgement was wrong so you could argue it was the board''s fault. I would take the criticism.

"But we did redeem ourselves and by the same token you must commend us for getting Birmingham City promoted the following season."

OTBC

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]And this is NCFC related how? [:)][/quote]

This way, or that way, or no way.

Depends on whether one is blessed with peripheral vision or stuck with tunnel vision, I guess.

OTBC 

[quote user="lappinitup"]I think he means relegation was Andrew Cullen''s fault and not Bryan Gunn''s. [:^)][/quote]

Wrong, but droll - very droll.

OTBC

Hard to read because much of the text is blended together, BUT this Gold fellow sounds like an idiot.  Even if dropping ticket prices doesn''t double attendance, consider how much more peripheral sales go up. Concessions are a gold (pun intended) mine at sporting events with a huge profit margin, so if you have more people coming, you will have more people eating.  The regulars who may not buy much will spend at least some of the money they''d have spent on tickets on food or programs or souvenirs or some sort.  The Italans have obviously figured out attendance does not matter at all. It''s the TV money that keeps top flight clubs in the top flight.  Lower divisions depend far more on ticket sales and game revenues, so in either case, Gold''s statement make little sense, but especially in the case of the Prem.

To be fair, a couple of people pointed out that when they took charge of Brum, they jacked the prices up hugely - clearly they''re not a fan of low ticket prices. I think its a fair warning to people who want them to be our knights in shining armour. be careful what you wish for.

Most people on this forum couldn''t care less about ticket prices or community.

Those things certainly don''t matter a jot to the OPer[:|]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Depends on whether one is blessed with peripheral vision or stuck with tunnel vision, I guess.

OTBC 

[/quote]

I''m sorry but this article is NOT NCFC related is it?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC 

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s as close as the opening poster is likely to get to anything Norwich City related though WAY. I guess it could be Norwich City related if he added an opinion saying that we got relegated because our ticket prices are too cheap. But that''d be another cheap shot from someone who never buys a ticket.

So you buy a ticket therefor your stuck with tunnel vision and do not have the peripheral  vision to see the harm you are doing the club by not spending more money on your tickets. Although the real harm is being done by Delia for making the tickets too cheap in the first place.

Thread after thread of stuff copied and pasted from this site and others. Surely a link would do? While we have been winning games many of the opening posters bedfellows have gone AWOL. But Bly stays posting thread ufter thread of absolute nonsense just in case the fans are enjoying the season. His slip is showing and the world and his wife are fed up with looking at it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC 

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s as close as the opening poster is likely to get to anything Norwich City related though WAY. I guess it could be Norwich City related if he added an opinion saying that we got relegated because our ticket prices are too cheap. But that''d be another cheap shot from someone who never buys a ticket.

So you buy a ticket therefor your stuck with tunnel vision and do not have the peripheral  vision to see the harm you are doing the club by not spending more money on your tickets. Although the real harm is being done by Delia for making the tickets too cheap in the first place.

Thread after thread of stuff copied and pasted from this site and others. Surely a link would do? While we have been winning games many of the opening posters bedfellows have gone AWOL. But Bly stays posting thread ufter thread of absolute nonsense just in case the fans are enjoying the season. His slip is showing and the world and his wife are fed up with looking at it.

[/quote]

I really didn''t realise you were quite so shallow and dishonest.

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

OTBC 

[/quote]

Or whether you''re stuck at home going out of your mind with nothing better to do than paste huge random chunks of football related stories from one part of the web to another [:D]

OTBC 

[/quote]

Or, to put it another way, what has it got in its pocketses?

[IMG]http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l367/robinsainty/gollum.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC 

[/quote]

[/quote]

That should, of course, read "nasty little pocketses."[:P]

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well at least that''s an opinion even if it is about me and not the subject of this MB.

So your opinion of me is that I''m shallow and dishonest and WAY49 has tunnel vision whilst you are "blessed" with peripheral vision.

So how about going one step further and giving your honest opinion on why this thread is Norwich City related.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]*Applauds**Stands up**Applauds louder*

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC 

[/quote]

[/quote]

LMFAO classic, love the LOTR films

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

[/quote]

Well at least that''s an opinion even if it is about me and not the subject of this MB.

So your opinion of me is that I''m shallow and dishonest and WAY49 has tunnel vision whilst you are "blessed" with peripheral vision.

So how about going one step further and giving your honest opinion on why this thread is Norwich City related.

[/quote]

lol my eyesight is quite bad at times, but never had tunnel vision.

I guess we still wait and find out what this has to do with NCFC [:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

lol my eyesight is quite bad at times, but never had tunnel vision.

I guess we still wait and find out what this has to do with NCFC [:D]

[/quote]

You''re luckier than Norwich City then WAY. The club have had too many players with tunnel vision in the past 12 years or so. Good job Chippy is still here to start putting that right.

He can''t help those sufferers on this message board though.[:''(]

Let me answer your question since too many people get carried away by ''our nige'' on his bandwagons. The OP was merely  a teaser as to what could possibly face supporters in the future if there was a Gold/Sullivan takeover of this club. (Gold''s views had at the time of posting been given fairly wide media attention)

Nothing more, nothing less.

But I''m sorry if people were deliberately led backwards into history in order to serve their own agendas. My apologies - maybe I should have foreseen it happening.

OTBC

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC 

[/quote]

[/quote]

That should, of course, read "nasty little pocketses."[:P]

[/quote]

That''s classic coming from a newspaper man of your vintage.

[:P]

OTBC

Or perhaps he would have it it had been.

The point can be anything he wants it to be depending on how the thread turns out.

No opinions on anything except how he percieves the world and his wife view other posters.

Am I the only one who can see it or perhaps the only one who reacts to it[:$]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The point can be anything he wants it to be depending on how the thread turns out.

No opinions on anything except how he percieves the world and his wife view other posters.

[/quote]

You''re garbled today nige ''the only one''.

Why don''t you relax and go and have a little read about Socrates?

OTBC

[8]Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There''s nothing Babes couldn''t teach ya''
''Bout the movements of the wrist.
SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

[/quote]

No, there''s a few of us (judging by the replies in this thread) who get annoyed by the Troll.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

No, there''s a few of us (judging by the replies in this thread) who get annoyed by the Troll.

[/quote]

So why do you and nige''s little gang bother to read and respond to the posts by this ''Troll'' if he annoys you so?

Now that''s weird to say the least.

Unless you have various ''hidden'' agendas such as to support Delia, Worthy and the Doc - for example - at all costs. Or the attempted undermining and derailing of critics of incompetence in its varioud guises.

My agendas are simply variety, contexts and the truth.

OTBC

[8]Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There''s nothing Babes couldn''t teach ya''
''Bout the movements of the wrist.
SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

[/quote]

So you googled and ''discovered'' that Socrates was permanently pissed.

Therefore.........?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[8]Immanuel Kant was a real pissant Who was very rarely stable. Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar Who could think you under the table. David Hume could out-consume Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel, And Wittgenstein was a beery swine Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel. There''s nothing Babes couldn''t teach ya'' ''Bout the movements of the wrist. SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

[/quote]

So you googled and ''discovered'' that Socrates was permanently pissed.

Therefore.........?

OTBC

[/quote]He''ll be particularly missed?  Since he''s a lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he''s pissed.