Sign in to follow this  
newyorkcanary

Lee Croft After Norwich and Wes This Season

I noticed while looking at the Derby summary that Croft was subbed out again.  I seemed to remember seeing him subbed out quite a bit, so I did some looking.  While some of these substitutions are end of game ones (80th minute or after) quite a few were not.  In 12 matches this year, Croft has started in 10 of them.  Of those 10, he was subbed out 7 times.  Of those 7, he was usually the 1st sub. He has 1 goal this year and while he has been getting playing time over there, he certainly hasn''t lit it up.  I bring this up because like most of you, I think Wes has shown himself to be of a higher class than League One.  We will probably lose him this January. While it would definitely hurt us and leave a gaping hole in the slot behind our strikers, its not the end of the world.  I thought it was the end of the world when we lost Croft.  It obviously wasn''t and if we lose Wes, then Lambert will have some funds to bring people in.  We will recover, but seeing the "less than derisory" offers we have been making for players, it seems obvious that the board is skint and Wes will go.  We will also need to write Colchester a check at some point, and who knows how much that will be.  We should begin to prepare ourselves for it. We recovered after Croft and we will do so when we lose Wes.

He was poor and ineffective, adds nothing to their team, which is the worst i''ve seen at the Walkers this season. They came for the draw and to play scrappy, hopefully they join Ipswich in the bottom 3 for May.

No comparing Croft with Wes if you ask me.Wes runs and changes games with true moments of inspiration. All Croft does is keep on the pressure.Losing Wes would be an absolute disaster as far as our hopes for automatic promotion are concerned. No two ways about it.Croft offers a bit of solidity to the right hand side, and very little more than that.

Lots of application, bugger all end result.Do we miss him? I doubt it… there are plenty more like him.What you need is someone who can deliver a cross too… David Bell springs to mind, although I have no idea as to how he is doing at Coventry.

[quote user="Big Bad John"]No comparing Croft with Wes if you ask me.

Wes runs and changes games with true moments of inspiration. Croft just runs.

Losing Wes would be an absolute disaster as far as our hopes for automatic promotion are concerned. No three ways about it.

Croft offers a bit of liquidity to the right hand side, and little more than that.
[/quote]

[;)]

if you get a chance to see Crofts goals last season make a note of who got all the assists you might be suprised. I sat next to himat the player of the season dinner last year.

When you mean "all" do you mean the goal v Ipswich?  I believe it was Doherty who set him up, but I have no idea about the other 4.  Not like the other 4 mattered comparatively.

[quote user="jimbob"]if you get a chance to see Crofts goals last season make a note of who got all the assists you might be suprised.[/quote]Hmm...Wes Hoolahan (Sheff Utd)David Bell (Watford)Leroy Lita (Wolves home [after hitting post])Matty Pattison (Ipswich)Richard Stearman (Wolves away [defensive mistake])I don''t follow.

I saw Crofty play against Scunny earlier this season when the Iron won 3-2 and he was exactly the same as usual.Lots of pace and effort but very little end product, up against a full-back in Marcus Williams who is not exactly brilliant defensivly either.To be honest we''re not playing with much width this season anyway are we so we don''t miss him at all? I think the unorthodox positions that Wes and Chrissy Martin take up is confusing teams and they don''t know how to deal with us.Also on Crofty, what is that load of tripe with him thjat Soccer AM has been doing?! He''s a nice fella but that just isn''t very funny.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"] 

We will probably lose him this January.

I thought it was the end of the world when we lost Croft.

We will recover, but seeing the "less than derisory" offers we have been making for players

[/quote]

Something''s definitely getting lost mid-Atlantic.