Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Worthy unveils his first transfer target

At last some positive comments! Go for it, I say! 

The fee is obviously a potential stumbling block but I''m sure that can be sorted with a load of payment triggers/sell-on clauses.  I should think we''d be attractive to some players as we have far more to offer than a place on the bench (eg Spuds), and there is also the quality of life angle - I guess it depends what Crewe are/he is after.   There is no harm in Worthy throwing his hat into the ring!

Reading the article further though, is the idea that we could get ex-target Hulse for £500k - he clearly hasn''t done enough to impress to get in a side that is bottom by some way, so I would hope this indicates to Worthy that he might not be the sort of "quality" they keep harping on about us needing!!!!

Sounds excellent! I hope we get him. After all, if we think about it, Ashton is quoted to be chased by Everton, Birmingham, Man City and Villa. Rule Brummies and one of Everton or Villa out as Brummies will sign Blake, and either Villa or Everton will sign Beattie, that leaves us in direct competition with whoever loses out on Beattie (more likely Villa) and Man City.

I think Man City will probably drop out should they keep Anelka (likely, they''re asking £10 million for him!) and Ashton has got to realise that even with his credentials he can''t compete for a first team place with the likes of Angel, Carlton Cole and Darius Vassel. Heck, he''d probably even be behind the impressive youngster Luke Moore.

So, realistically, his best move is to join us!

So lets get this straight ? we cant afford anyone but Worthy would like to sign Ashton ??

Surely it is possible sell on clauses Guarenteed first team football and a huge bonus on either staying up or getting promoteed again.

I''d say 1.5 mil + 50% of any profit + 1.5 mil if we stay up or get promoted.

Get it done !

Suppose his next target will be Ronaldo ??

Perhaps Worthy will try to tempt Dario Grady with cash plus a player, but who would we part company with? Squiz McVeigh? Phil Mulryne? Any thoughts on this, fellow posters?

[quote]Perhaps Worthy will try to tempt Dario Grady with cash plus a player, but who would we part company with? Squiz McVeigh? Phil Mulryne? Any thoughts on this, fellow posters?[/quote]

The way Mulryne is playing at present it would be no loss to see him go in any player exchange.

[quote]Perhaps Worthy will try to tempt Dario Grady with cash plus a player, but who would we part company with? Squiz McVeigh? Phil Mulryne? Any thoughts on this, fellow posters?[/quote]

For Crewe to accept an offer, we would have to come up with £2M + and give them at least one player (Mullers, WLY, Brennan) and probably someone on loan for the season (Jarvis)

I would part with Mulryne and Mcveigh if it meant getting Ashton. Incidentally was watching sky sports news earlier and apparently Gradi said today that a good club had expressed an interest and Ashton knew about it, note they said good rather than big so maybe just maybe it could be us.

[quote]I would part with Mulryne and Mcveigh if it meant getting Ashton. Incidentally was watching sky sports news earlier and apparently Gradi said today that a good club had expressed an interest and Ashto...[/quote]

Like the idea of ashton coming in but what good would it do our squad losing Mulryne ? we have not got any other midfielders like him in our squad

think Mcveigh is out of his depth and always has been so that would be good business getting shot of him

Imo Mullers is not good enough for the prem, he would be tailor made for a team like Crewe who are one of the best footballing teams in the fizzy league. Mullers and Macca must be worth a million quid between them, give them a million plus them two and 500k if we stay up and possibly a sell on clause and maybe a deal is not as impossible as some think.

That won''t happen, Muller''s is one of the best paid players at the club, therefore Crewe wouldn''t be able to afford him. Same would probably go for Mcveigh.

The chances of Ashton coming here really do depend on other interest and what sort of deal could be struck. I find it strange that one day we say we won''t be getting anybody, then the next Ashton is said. Then again the same was said about Hulse as far as I recall we never had a bid acknowledged for him - thank god!