Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Why 4 minutes of injury time?

Whenever this length (or above -A.Ferguson) of injury time is added on referees are always at pains to point out that you "add 30 seconds on for each substitution".

Normally in the second half of matches 6 of these occur tonight there were TWO. Add to this the fact that there were no injuries in the entire second half, where does the ref justify that time?

4 minutes just seems to be the requistite time all referees add onto a match which is still in the balance without any reason or method to back this up.

Leeds scored tonight after 2 and a half minutes. The match shouldn''t have even been going on at this stage.

it''s true, there were very few stoppages, I think they just make this time up. But then we''ve won in injury time too, the game in never 90 mins is it?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Whenever this length (or above -A.Ferguson) of injury time is added on referees are always at pains to point out that you "add 30 seconds on for each substitution".

Normally in the second half of matches 6 of these occur tonight there were TWO. Add to this the fact that there were no injuries in the entire second half, where does the ref justify that time?

4 minutes just seems to be the requistite time all referees add onto a match which is still in the balance without any reason or method to back this up.

Leeds scored tonight after 2 and a half minutes. The match shouldn''t have even been going on at this stage.

[/quote]

Add 30 seconds for each caution too.

The laws of the game say that ball should be in play for 90 minutes - so you should in theory add time for every substitution and caution, every goal kick, throw in, or corner. In practice if you follow the rules to the letter matches would go on past 100 minutes - so the ref makes an arbitary decision. Plus most refs will usually let an attack finish before blowing the whistle (Clive Thomas being the exception) - and you have to remember the official line is that the ref will indicate the MINIMUM time to be added - so you could indicate 2 and play 4

I think youre right that a lot of matches would have ended before the 92 and a half minutes when Beckford scored - but if Wes had scored it at the other end instead I doubt you''d have complained. I thought the ref had a good game tonight

All of that maybe true were it not for the fact that he only added 2 minutes on at the end of the first half, a half which had one substituion, more injuries and as many cautions.

No I wouldn''t have complained if we had scored but we''ve all been watching football long enough to know that if there is going to be a late goal ,it usually goes to the home side, infact if a match is still in the balance this is the main reason I believe that a ref will add on this amount of time - to allow the home side the maximum opportuniy to win the match, and avoid any flak of the home manager/fans for not adding on enough time for them to do this!