Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

Why is Doherty's fouling problem not addressed

[quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem. [/quote]Seriously, what is his problem ?  Or what is your problem ?  He does the same thing that I see Premiership footballers do week in, week out, but because it''s Doc everyone piles on.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem.
[/quote]

Seriously, what is his problem ?  Or what is your problem ?  He does the same thing that I see Premiership footballers do week in, week out, but because it''s Doc everyone piles on.
[/quote]

To be fair I think you''re missing the point.

Gary Doherty is the only defender that makes any physical contact with the opposition and is the only defender that gives away fouls.

How have you not realised that yet?

Every other defender in the land wins the ball without so much as breathing on another player.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem. [/quote]Seriously, what is his problem ?  Or what is your problem ?  He does the same thing that I see Premiership footballers do week in, week out, but because it''s Doc everyone piles on.[/quote]

Gary Doherty is the only defender that makes any physical contact with the opposition and is the only defender that gives away fouls.

Every other defender in the land wins the ball without so much as breathing on another player.

[/quote]I think that''s irony.  Isn''t it ?  Go on, tell me it''s irony.  Please ? [:)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem.
[/quote]

Seriously, what is his problem ?  Or what is your problem ?  He does the same thing that I see Premiership footballers do week in, week out, but because it''s Doc everyone piles on.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that''s irony.  Isn''t it ?  Go on, tell me it''s irony.  Please ? [:)]
[/quote]

No, no. I think if you go by a lot of the posts/comments on here you''ll find it''s "fact".

Well I think it''s a good question. The problem might not be unique to him, but he does have a problem - those bear hugs are clumsy, unnecessary and asking to be penalised.

[quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem.
[/quote]

Now and again I read a post so mindblowingly daft that I have to do a double take.

This is such a post.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]If his fouling is in a public place then i think he should be fined £100 and forced to clean it up[/quote]Surely it''s the owner''s fault?I''ve just had a mental image of Delia running round the pitch behind him with a pooper -scooper.

I doubt coaching may be able to help. This is Doc''s game, which plays to his strengths as much as being born from his weaknesses.As we know Doc is not the quickest centre back (ok, who is at this level), but especially so on the turn. As a result when confonted with a pacy or light footed attacker, he knows he simply cannot be turned and wriggled away from, so (logically) utilises his strength and resorts to the bear hug. This can concede a foul.Secondly Doc can easily be caught out of position (ok, who doesn''t at this level.) This would be ok if he was quicker and could get back in the right place. Instead, where it appears no other defender is able to cover (for being out of position, as well, most likely) he decides to opt for the desperate lunge. This can concede a foul.Personally, one incident like the bear hug on the very edge of Carlisle''s box last week is unacceptable, but I accept he''s the best we''ve currently got. Regardless, if we can recruit in that area I say we still need to get rid as quick as humanly possible. The guy is a liability.

[quote]Personally, one incident like the bear hug on the very edge of

Carlisle''s box last week is unacceptable, but I accept he''s the best

we''ve currently got. Regardless, if we can recruit in that area I say

we still need to get rid as quick as humanly possible. The guy is a liability.[/quote]The reality of the situation is that we have played 450 minutes and conceded 1 goal.  That being a penalty.  I really don''t see where the problem is.Are you really saying that if Doc is the best we have, and that he is a liability, that all our defenders are liabilities, to be rid of as quick as hoomanly possible ?I''m glad it''s Lambert doing the team talks...

Obviously you don''t attend the matches then. If 12 fouls in 6 matches is considered bad, then you should have been at Carrow Rd in the 60''s and 70''s - Big Dunc could do 12 in a game, no prob, and he was still a hero. Doc is OK by me, and its about time we put this very old, unnecessary grudge to one side and support a team that is at last playing some decent stuff.

I agree Flash, as this is getting tedious. As the BBC commentator pointed out, it isn''t helped by strikers backing in to push defenders off the ball. Other refs could have called it the other way. Doc''s doing all right IMO. OTBC!

[quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem. [/quote]Two words.....

1. JAMIE2. CARRAGHER

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem. [/quote]Two words.....

1. JAMIE2. CARRAGHER[/quote]three more words1 purple2 flange3 helicopterexplain yourself man

"he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem."

Do you really believe that Lambert and Culverhouse are not aware enough to see Doc''s weaknesses and smart enough to do something about them?  Perhaps his improved form since coming back into the team are an indication that any problems are already being addressed.  I agree that he does have some problems but so do most of the players on the team of one sort or another, especially the defenders.  What puzzles me is why some people are so obsessed by Doherty and so blind to the mistakes of many of his colleagues.  Doc has cornered the market with his clumsy oaf impersonation but some of his colleagues are less effective at times in a far less obtrusive way.

[quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem. [/quote]Two words.....

1. JAMIE2. CARRAGHER[/quote]three more words1 purple2 flange3 helicopterexplain yourself man[/quote]Seriously? Ok. Here comes the science bit....Jamie Carragher fouls, grapples, kicks, pulls at and is always outpaced by his opponents. A lot of his "best" fouling is done inside the area, but luckily he plays for a massive team and we all know how the penalty decisions go in those scenarios. Funnily enough, playing in a brilliant team, alongside brilliant players keeps the pressure off him and means that he is rarely exposed. When he is, he does not look good.I will grant you that his leadership is FAR superior to the Doc, who is not a leader by any stretch. But ask yourself this:why has nobody "addressed" Carragher''s technical problem? Or John Terry''s? Or Malky Mackay''s? Or Steve Bruce''s? Or Nemanja Vidic''s? Because physical defending is NOT actually a technical problem until the defender is exposed. And in good teams, they rarely are.In really bad teams, however, teams with lightweight midfielders that don''t get tight, teams with no organisation, teams with poor fullbacks, teams low on confidence, teams with dodgy goalkeepers (you see what I''m getting at here? I''m talking about Norwich 2006-2009) a physical defender is left exposed consistently.I was going to keep this post short. Damn.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]he has been playing well recently but he clearly has a technical problem why doesn''t lambert spend time adressing this problem.
[/quote]

Two words.....

1. JAMIE

2. CARRAGHER
[/quote]

three more words

1 purple

2 flange

3 helicopter

explain yourself man
[/quote]

Seriously? Ok. Here comes the science bit....

Jamie Carragher fouls, grapples, kicks, pulls at and is always outpaced by his opponents. A lot of his "best" fouling is done inside the area, but luckily he plays for a massive team and we all know how the penalty decisions go in those scenarios. Funnily enough, playing in a brilliant team, alongside brilliant players keeps the pressure off him and means that he is rarely exposed. When he is, he does not look good.

I will grant you that his leadership is FAR superior to the Doc, who is not a leader by any stretch. But ask yourself this:

why has nobody "addressed" Carragher''s technical problem? Or John Terry''s? Or Malky Mackay''s? Or Steve Bruce''s? Or Nemanja Vidic''s? Because physical defending is NOT actually a technical problem until the defender is exposed. And in good teams, they rarely are.

In really bad teams, however, teams with lightweight midfielders that don''t get tight, teams with no organisation, teams with poor fullbacks, teams low on confidence, teams with dodgy goalkeepers (you see what I''m getting at here? I''m talking about Norwich 2006-2009) a physical defender is left exposed consistently.

I was going to keep this post short. Damn.
[/quote]

couldn''t of put it better myself!       

Doc''s a physical player, always has been, While it does worry me sometimes I can also understand it can get to a striker and put them off their game.

This question kinda reminds me of a few idiot Man United fans asking why Fergie hasn''t curbed Wayne Rooney''s temper.

Why is the not giving free kicks against Doherty problem not addressed[:^)]

Referees continually ignore Norwich fans who believe free kicks should be given against their team for Doherty''s continual fouling. The refereeing standard is appalling and Keith Hackett should be made aware of this and address it forthwith.[:O]

We don''t want an FA investigation at a later date. We wouldn''t want to get promotion only to find we had points deducted later because of referees. We need this sorted now[;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]I definitely think Doherty should be replaced by Nelson.[/quote]

Why ?????? Because we are about to catch and pass your team in the league ?? There can be no other reason ,,,,Nelson is utterly incompetent.....don;t tell  me ai must be missing something , I have aseason ticket , Barclay, 3 rows back from the right centreback position, I am able to watch very closely just how bad he is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="barclay seats 48 49 "]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]I definitely think Doherty should be replaced by Nelson.[/quote]

Why ?????? Because we are about to catch and pass your team in the league ?? There can be no other reason ,,,,Nelson is utterly incompetent.....don;t tell  me ai must be missing something , I have aseason ticket , Barclay, 3 rows back from the right centreback position, I am able to watch very closely just how bad he is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]Ermm... I think you answered your question in the first sentence. Cam being a bit ironic, methinks (hint: read his previous comments).

Mr G Doherty,

Bear Huggin'' Central Defender,

Norwich City Football Club,

Carrow Road,

Norwich,

Norfolk.

NR1 1JE.

Dear Gary,

Please stop bear huggin'' !

Yours sincerely,

A concerned supporter.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Mr G Doherty,

Bear Huggin'' Central Defender,

Norwich City Football Club,

Carrow Road,

Norwich,

Norfolk.

NR1 1JE.

Dear Gary,

Please stop bear huggin'' !

Yours sincerely,

A concerned supporter.

[/quote]That is so  NOT a disincentive!!Now off to the nearest fancy-dress hire shop ........