Sign in to follow this  
southstand

Lets get technical about this defeat

Sure we played some pretty footbaal, sure we had the majority of the possession.

The real reason we lost was that Leeds were physical , got players behind the ball and restricted us to two/three chances (apart from the goal)

Grayson brought on 2 subs, late in the second half, as we began to flag, the midfield running out of energy. -Yes we had put a hell of lot of energy into dominating play

Grayson did not have 3 subs as an option, as the goalkeeper had been changed in the second half

Lambert decided to stick with what he had until almost the final minutes - Leeds had 3 or 4 good chances in the last 15 minutes to wrwp the game up

It was Lambert''s choice, but he could have strengthened the midfield and subbed Martin or Holt - he was tactically undone by Grayson

The goalkeeping error was awful but there was only one winner in the last 15 minutes

The positives were City looked a good attacking outfit and look to be gelling as a passing team.

tactically undone my arse.

Lambert kept with the same side beacuse he was not content with the draw, he wanted the win, and he was not going to sit back on the 1-1 and play out for the draw.

He showed the confidence that he has installed into the club and the players, and he wanted a win. Yes he could have made changes, but to sit on the draw thats not his way, and as for Grayson''s subs, did any of them have an influence on the winning goal, didnt think so, yes they put us under pressure, but we coped, and right till the end we were looking for the win.

Lambert went there with a game plan, and all credit to him for not changing that game plan, or the mentality in the middle of the game.

[quote user="southstand"]Sure we played some pretty footbaal, sure we had the majority of the possession.

The real reason we lost was that Leeds were physical , got players behind the ball and restricted us to two/three chances (apart from the goal)

Grayson brought on 2 subs, late in the second half, as we began to flag, the midfield running out of energy. -Yes we had put a hell of lot of energy into dominating play

Grayson did not have 3 subs as an option, as the goalkeeper had been changed in the second half

Lambert decided to stick with what he had until almost the final minutes - Leeds had 3 or 4 good chances in the last 15 minutes to wrwp the game up

It was Lambert''s choice, but he could have strengthened the midfield and subbed Martin or Holt - he was tactically undone by Grayson

The goalkeeping error was awful but there was only one winner in the last 15 minutes

The positives were City looked a good attacking outfit and look to be gelling as a passing team.[/quote]That''s about as technical as a Fisher Price toy, but thanks for the effort. I think we won the physical battle without doubt tonight, in no small part due to Darel Russel, who put in a cracking 90 minutes.The win was nothing to do with Leeds'' substitutions, but more to do with us not putting away our chances again, and you can''t really blame the manager for that one. We should have been at least a goal up by the time Forster cocked it up anyway...

''Technically'' speaking, how many other teams do you think have forced Leeds to change their formation at home this season. We''ll be fine [Y]

[quote user="B-Block Yella"]

tactically undone my arse.

Lambert kept with the same side beacuse he was not content with the draw, he wanted the win, and he was not going to sit back on the 1-1 and play out for the draw.

He showed the confidence that he has installed into the club and the players, and he wanted a win. Yes he could have made changes, but to sit on the draw thats not his way, and as for Grayson''s subs, did any of them have an influence on the winning goal, didnt think so, yes they put us under pressure, but we coped, and right till the end we were looking for the win.

Lambert went there with a game plan, and all credit to him for not changing that game plan, or the mentality in the middle of the game.

[/quote]

Amen to that Bruva

yep. beer talk getting the better of some posters here.....probably myself included.Being hyper ciritical perhaps a sub or two would jhave made the difference last 10-15.....however, physically outbattled is a wee bit over the top.Thought our midfield looked like men tonight (not a usual occurence for City!) and put in a real shift across the park.Having grown up in Watford and having a Wolves fan for a dad i have always had the jokes that City play pretty football but are a bunch of girls blouses and capitulate to any physcial northern side.....Tonight i thought we outplayed them on the deck but out fought them too.Long may it continue.I had huge doubts over PL as manager....thought hed turn us into a physical hoof merchant side but he has kept our natural ability whilst toughening us up.Massive massive respect to both him and the coaching staff.

Grayson just struck lucky, he was hoping that a change of some sort would kick leeds into gear, paid off with Gradel coming on... he was really up for it. I think we would''ve hit a 2nd if it wasnt for his input.

There was no substitution for Lambert to technically make, or are you suggesting that he should''ve just changed things in the hope that it would work? This isnt football manager 2010!

Martin and Holt were doing sterling jobs up front throughout the 90 minutes, Im a huuuge fan of Cody''s but i could tell he wouldnt have been effective coming on, just wasnt his game.

The one player who just doesn''t seem to be quite up to it is Lappin; he tries quite hard, but loses out too often, & his quality passes are too few & far between.Semi is just a complete enigma. He''s got all the ability, but goes all wobbly when under under any sort of pressure, whether attacking or defending. I''m convinced it''s purely a lack of confidence, but I''m also convinced it''s terminal.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Grayson just struck lucky, he was hoping that a change of some sort would kick leeds into gear, paid off with Gradel coming on... he was really up for it. I think we would''ve hit a 2nd if it wasnt for his input.

There was no substitution for Lambert to technically make, or are you suggesting that he should''ve just changed things in the hope that it would work? This isnt football manager 2010!

Martin and Holt were doing sterling jobs up front throughout the 90 minutes, Im a huuuge fan of Cody''s but i could tell he wouldnt have been effective coming on, just wasnt his game.[/quote]I thought that too - in fact I was thinking Jamie would be the best option - until the last 15 mins., when Leeds started playing in our half. That''s when Cody''s pace would have deterred them &/or given us an outlet.

i think Semmi is a lasting show of the true destruction Glenn Roeder did to this club, he used to attack and defend well, then the Roeder era began and his destruction of all confidence this promising young player had.

Now we are still left with a player full of potential, pace, skill but no longer has the confidence to put those into effect, When Roeder destroyed this club, he also destroyed a good player.

[quote user="southstand"]Sure we played some pretty footbaal, sure we had the majority of the possession.

The positives were City looked a good attacking outfit and look to be gelling as a passing team.[/quote]I dont agree with the physical side of what your saying. All of our lads got stuck in well tonight and never pulled out of a tackle, giving as good as they got.We gave them two sloppy goals. The second being as much the defences fault as young Forsters - he had got them out of a few holes already they could have at least returned the favour and faced the goal kick as all good defenders should.As for trying to hold out for a draw, there are two ways to do that. 10 men in your own half for the last fifteen minutes and hope that they dont find a way through, or get the ball up the other end of the pitch and try and keep it there - if you are lucky you get a win at worse you have put pressure on them for the remainder of the game.I also question a lot of people''s belief about the fresh legs. To me Leeds were very one dimentional all the way up until the guy with the blond stripe came on for Snodgrass. Up untill then Leed''s game was based around set pieces and trying to give Beckford the amount of misses he needs before he can score. At times after the break they were playing the ball forward at every oppertunity and being far too predictable.Hoolahan was involved but not as deadly or as dangerous as I would have liked but then Grayson knows how he playes and had him ''minded''.To me the only thing we lacked was a decent final ball but then who do you take out? Lappin provided chances and the assist on the night as well as being solid throughout. Hughes and Russell were solid and looked comfortable and for the most part calm.Leeds were very lucky, but I also think from what I have seen Beckford will be ok in Championship but unless he improves his first touch will struggle any higher than that. Not a lot about their team that really inspired, like I said they are very direct but seem to run out of ideas when the direct-ness of their play doesn''t work.On a side note Sky commentating was C R A P as usual and they seemed to have done all their research around Leeds and not on Norwich. In adition to that Beckford got Man of the Match for missing several sitters and only getting a goal because Semi helped him when Snodgrass and Naylor were more influential.

[quote user="ron obvious"]The one player who just doesn''t seem to be quite up to it is Lappin; he tries quite hard, but loses out too often, & his quality passes are too few & far between.Semi is just a complete enigma. He''s got all the ability, but goes all wobbly when under under any sort of pressure, whether attacking or defending. I''m convinced it''s purely a lack of confidence, but I''m also convinced it''s terminal.

[/quote]I disagree the only two things you could criticise Semi for tonight was one occaision with tons of space in front of him he opted not to burn up the turf and the other being the first goal they scored.He was the most allert and first to react along with Askou to Forsters miss kick and was unlucky not to prevent it altogether making up a lot of ground and getting in for the tackle.Without Lappin tonight we would have no goals. At the moment he has something that no one else seems to have and that is the ability to produce a half decent or better final ball.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="ron obvious"]The one player who just doesn''t seem to be quite up to it is Lappin; he tries quite hard, but loses out too often, & his quality passes are too few & far between.Semi is just a complete enigma. He''s got all the ability, but goes all wobbly when under under any sort of pressure, whether attacking or defending. I''m convinced it''s purely a lack of confidence, but I''m also convinced it''s terminal.

[/quote]I disagree the only two things you could criticise Semi for tonight was one occaision with tons of space in front of him he opted not to burn up the turf and the other being the first goal they scored.He was the most allert and first to react along with Askou to Forsters miss kick and was unlucky not to prevent it altogether making up a lot of ground and getting in for the tackle.Without Lappin tonight we would have no goals. At the moment he has something that no one else seems to have and that is the ability to produce a half decent or better final ball.[/quote]It''s all opinion, I know. But there''s something about Semi''s body language - it doesn''t always happen, which makes it all the more frustrating, but it''s like he has a panic attack for no reason. Or goes off in a daydream ... Was that him marking Johnson for the first goal?And I know Lappin can produce a decent cross, but he also puts in a fair few rubbish ones; he just seemed to be muscled out of the game all the time tonight. He''s very slow as well. Tries hard, though, & unlikely to do anything disastrous.I just feel he''s a bit too limited.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="ron obvious"]

The one player who just doesn''t seem to be quite up to it is Lappin; he tries quite hard, but loses out too often, & his quality passes are too few & far between.
Semi is just a complete enigma. He''s got all the ability, but goes all wobbly when under under any sort of pressure, whether attacking or defending. I''m convinced it''s purely a lack of confidence, but I''m also convinced it''s terminal.

[/quote]

I disagree the only two things you could criticise Semi for tonight was one occaision with tons of space in front of him he opted not to burn up the turf and the other being the first goal they scored.

He was the most allert and first to react along with Askou to Forsters miss kick and was unlucky not to prevent it altogether making up a lot of ground and getting in for the tackle.

Without Lappin tonight we would have no goals. At the moment he has something that no one else seems to have and that is the ability to produce a half decent or better final ball.
[/quote]

I think you`ve contradicted yourself.  You said in the previous post that the defence should have "faced the goalkick like good defenders do".  It was Semmy who was marking Beckford and he was not facing the goalkick, he was dozing.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="ron obvious"]The one player who just doesn''t seem to be quite up to it is Lappin; he tries quite hard, but loses out too often, & his quality passes are too few & far between.Semi is just a complete enigma. He''s got all the ability, but goes all wobbly when under under any sort of pressure, whether attacking or defending. I''m convinced it''s purely a lack of confidence, but I''m also convinced it''s terminal.

[/quote]I disagree the only two things you could criticise Semi for tonight was one occaision with tons of space in front of him he opted not to burn up the turf and the other being the first goal they scored.He was the most allert and first to react along with Askou to Forsters miss kick and was unlucky not to prevent it altogether making up a lot of ground and getting in for the tackle.Without Lappin tonight we would have no goals. At the moment he has something that no one else seems to have and that is the ability to produce a half decent or better final ball.[/quote]

I think you`ve contradicted yourself.  You said in the previous post that the defence should have "faced the goalkick like good defenders do".  It was Semmy who was marking Beckford and he was not facing the goalkick, he was dozing.

[/quote]So when the entire back four isn''t looking its Semi''s fault? If you watch the replay you will see that they are all facing the wrong way and Doherty is talking to them all. For me that was his and Drury''s call, one of the two should have been telling the others to face the ball. I don''t condradict myself as I still maintain that it wasn''t Semi''s fault.And as for Lappin - people say that he is really slow as if he can hardly run, they guy may not be lightening quick but he certainly isnt that slow and he defenitely put himself into challenges.

Chicken, the replay of the goal from behind our keeper clearly showed Semmy looking the other way- can`t say i noticed the others doing the same.  A professional footballer should not need his fellow defenders to remind him to face up for a goal-kick- i certainly don`t at the low level i play at.  His man, his fault- no excuses.

If you watch the replay agan you will see Doherty talking/shouting to the rest of the back four ALL of whom were not facing the goal.Blame Semi if its just but for me they should ALL have been alive to it.

Yep, none of them were facing the ball. But we looked like a boxer taking a standing count at this point in the game, and this is the point that most seem to be missing.It was give and take the whole match, we more than stood up to them and I thought we were the better side. But the BENCH, the bench, the bench. Oh dear. Our bench was so weak compared to Leeds! In terms of attacking options, we had to choose from two overweight has-beens, or someone who was playing non-league football this time last year.But Lambert was brave and committed, and I fear absolutely no team in this league now. Sure, we may succumb to mistakes like any other team, but we can match any team with our flowing football and intelligent movement, and it''s been YEARS since I''ve been able to say that. Thanks PL.

[quote user="chicken"]If you watch the replay agan you will see Doherty talking/shouting to the rest of the back four ALL of whom were not facing the goal.

Blame Semi if its just but for me they should ALL have been alive to it.
[/quote]

Fair enough, if that`s the case then that`s quite shocking-and worrying- defending.  It was still Semmys man though and having done well to get back he didn`t even do a sliding block tackle which would probably have prevented a goal.

[quote user="Mook"]Yep, none of them were facing the ball. But we looked like a boxer taking a standing count at this point in the game, and this is the point that most seem to be missing.

It was give and take the whole match, we more than stood up to them and I thought we were the better side. But the BENCH, the bench, the bench. Oh dear. Our bench was so weak compared to Leeds! In terms of attacking options, we had to choose from two overweight has-beens, or someone who was playing non-league football this time last year.

But Lambert was brave and committed, and I fear absolutely no team in this league now. Sure, we may succumb to mistakes like any other team, but we can match any team with our flowing football and intelligent movement, and it''s been YEARS since I''ve been able to say that. Thanks PL.
[/quote]

[Y] It`s great to see such positivity away from home and we do look like we are "in" every match we play now.  Hopefully the days of going away and regularly having no shots on target are behind us [:)]