Sign in to follow this  
Mr Carrow in the City Stand

Are Worthy and the Board having a laugh ??

u lot make me laugh, av u forgot the board and worthy got us in this leauge quite comfortably and now we av singed a great player(ashton) all u can do is moan, i no this singing does not guarantee survival but its gives us a much beta chance so just give him and especially the board a chance! it seems like u lot r never happy unless u av something to moan about, y dnt u lot just get a life and let the club manage the team!!!

I don''t really think, generally, that people were saying things they can''t stand by: it was mostly along the lines of "if we do not show some sort of ambition we will probably go down" which was and is probably true - I think to have not bought anyone would have been a mistake, and the Manager/Board clearly thought so too. 

That said, people should have had more faith in the Board - they got us this far so it was unlikely they would want to see us fail through lack of trying - however, I was getting rather peed off by the negative comments coming from Doomcaster and Worthy, and hand on heart, so were most of us - you can hardly expect people with forums like this to Post on not to take some of those things to heart!

As the originator of the original post I am absolutely delighted with the outcome of all this. Dean Ashton for £3million plus is more than we could have ever dreamed of. Congratulations to the Board and to Sir Nigel, wily old fox that he is. Here''s to seeing Dean become the 20 goal striker we have all been wanting.

But as to whether any words have to be eaten ? Well not really. The reference to ''Are Worthy and the Board having a laugh'' was when all the comments and smoke signals from Carrow Road were pleading poverty, £1.2 million max available for transfers, and saying we might not be able to sign anybody at all. Now that would have been to sell the club short and many of us were then posting encouraging the Board to show more ambition and give it a real go. It also seemed Nigel was becoming frustrated by the limits and saying he couldn''t get the quality he felt was needed at that price.

The fact that the Board has now done exactly what many of us wanted and showed real ambition by signing Dean doesn''t alter the fact that a couple of weeks ago the vibes from them were much less positive. Hence the posts at the time, including this thread, complaining that £1.2 mil alone or no signings would be ''having a laugh''. Now we all realise that some of this is a transfer smokescreen by the club but we needed them to know that, for many of us, doing nothing wasn''t an option. To be fair I think they got that message in many different ways, including most importantly from Sir Nigel himself, and needed to get it.

Like everybody else I am laughing now and will be all the more when I see Dean Ashton run out in the yellow and green. Just great news. And again congratulations to the Board and Nigel for what I thik is a real step forward.

However the scare mongering and creating issues where there in fact created by the doom and gloom merchants on here refusing to see this board for what it really is and despite this boards past record in such dealings.

Several posters constantly challenged the statements being made by the club and had faith that the board are as genuine fans as us on here, and so like us have no desire to go back to the routine of the championship.  I was ridiculed for holding such views and told that I simply trusted the board too much.

Some acceptance that we as regular fans will never know the full ins and outs of the clubs finances is needed and trust in a good board running the club in an effective and progressive manner must surely now have been earnt.  They are not perfect but there are many boards I would rather not have than our, and very few I would rather have.  An apology IS necessary as the mood was moving to such and extent that a sack the board chant could have been heard by the end of the season! (OK exaggerated a bit but that is where this leads)

Enjoy this season, it may be the only one in the prem for a couple of years and we do lack the serious financial clout needed to ensure safety - however it is not the end of the world if we get relegated; I remain confident that should the worse happen we will be VERY well placed to put in a promotion challenge again.

Sorry - rant over.

OTBC

As I said in another thread, I would not swap our Board for any other.

At least if we do go down they can say they gave it a good shot. Who can argue with signing the Denmark captain, the guy who scored the goal in Euro 2004 that put out Italy, a wonderkid from Arsenal and now a 20 goal man from THE footballing academy (didn''t Crewe produce Ian Rush?).

PLUS, we have a 25K stadium and a fantastic fan base which is not fickle and arrogant like many others.

As Zippers says, lets now settle back and enjoy the next few months and just see what fate has in store.......who needed a cup run anyway?

I think Rushie came through Chester before joining Liverpool when they were a big team..