Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Lambert to blame, not Forster

I blame Lambert for tonights loss, not Forster.Yes the kick was horrific but if it wasnt for his 2 wonder saves it would have been 3-1. Lamberts decision not to bring on any subs until the 92nd minute lost the game for us.We dominated the 2nd half up until the 75th min and when a team is that on top then they are the best placed team to win the match. We should have capitalised on our dominance. McDonald should have came on without doubt as Martin was ineffective and we lacked pace up front. The Leeds defence looked slow in my opinion and I think had Cody come on he would have caused them a lot of problems.Darel Russell should have been subbed on 70 mins. He started to make late challenges, misplaced passes and showed a couple of poor touches, an obvious indication that he was knackered, understandable as he was superb up until that point. Dont get me wrong I think Lambert has been superb and im a big fan but tonight he could have won us the game and he didnt.

I agree that Lambert should have changed it and it became increasingly obvious as the game went on. Russel was luck not to get sent off and should have been subbed. The two strikers were unable to hold the ball up which enabled Leeds to mount attack after attack. Surely it was clear to all that bringing on fresh legs up front would have gone some way to stop this. The goal was a nasty twist but we could have been competing for the win with the right tactical substitutions at the right time - which, incidentally, is what Leeds did.

double right, we were punch drunk in last 10 minutes. Daley on for Martin, like Leeds did with Gradel, just to give their defence summat to think about.

[quote user="Puzzy magnet "]wrong[/quote]Not completely. Lambert did leave it very late to make substitutions. We should have been bringing on the subs at the same time Leeds did. I think Martin did play well but bringing on Cody for the last 15-20 minutes could have proved a smart move, although we''ll never know now. It was clear (to me anyway) that after 70 or so minutes Leeds began to take hold of the game and perhaps things should have been changed to counter this.However, I do think its a bit harsh to put the blame on Lambert, or Forster for that matter. Yes, at the end of the game I was fuming and crushed but now I''ve had a chance to cool down and reflect I definitely understand why so many people are proud of our performance, and Forster is no exception. He pulled of some magnificent saves and for that he should be acknowledged, without him we would have surely lost anyway?So let''s just put this one down to bad luck and keep up the optimism we''ve been feeling over the past few weeks. Top two is still very much a possibility from the performance I saw this evening.Come on you Yellows! [:)]

[quote user="Puzzy magnet "]wrong[/quote]Quite how someone''s opinion can be wrong is beyond me.But for arguments sake why is that then Puzzy?

There is no pace in the team so they rely upon closing people down and passing the ball quickly.

The team has worked very hard in recent weeks and they ran out of steam.

Rusty & Martin were knackered for about the last 20 mins.

Cody should have come on so to catch Leeds on the break.

I completely agree - we should have brought on Cody for Martin (who was excellent by the way) and Gill for Russell. We had worked so hard, we were shattered!

It really wouldn''t have changed our shape at all and would have made their midfield a little nervous to push forward with the pace of Cody. It would just have cemented the point for us.

However, I find it difficult to criticise Lambert who has been excellent for us since he got here. Surely we all agree that much.

By the way, I found myself agreeing with Smudger for the very first time. Or maybe the other way around....

[quote user="Smudger"]Right... [Y][/quote]Pause a moment people . . . . . . Smudger saw a game because it was on telly . . . . . . right, now where were we?Oh yes. Lambert should have given the lads a cup of tea at half time.

Exactly right Chicken.  The disappointment of the last couple of minutes has led to people losing the plot. 

For 90 mins we matched (and even bettered) the top team in this league away from home, we fought back from going a goal down, we played with spirit and passed the ball nicely - FFS when was the last time we did all these things at home yet alone away?  Who should get the credit for building that sort of belief and confidence?  I say thank you Lambert.

Maybe with hindsight a sub would have changed things but it is easy to judge after the event.  Look on the match thread and see comments from people who were being texted by those at the game saying it was the best they had seen us in years.  Alternatively listen to the commentators on Sky talking about how good BOTH teams looked and saying how we were desperately unlucky.

If we play that well each week we will be in the playoff frame at the end of the season and we will all be hailing Lambert as a God.

Rant over, sorry!

if lambert had made subsitutions then people would have been on here moaning"why take so & so off when we were completley battering Leeds".the man cant win.

As has already been said, its all in hindsight...

Rusty had the usual red mist flare up last night, but he had a superb game-yes, take him off to prevent him getting sent off maybe, but such was the nature of the game, I don''t think a midfielder would have had the time to settle into the pattern of the play that quickly. Different for a striker-and yes, maybe Cody Mac could have come on for Martin on 75-however, if we''d have hung on, then no-one would have said anything about substitutions.

There are posters on here-and WOTB-who seize on any opportunity to criticise Lambert (and did you hear some of them on Canary Call last night?), and yes, he will get a hard time from some, as we seem to have the most demanding set of fans in England, but thats by the by. One difficulty, I think, is playing Hughes and Russell in the same team, both are offensive midfielders, but, a''la Gerrard and Lampard for England (not comparing the playes, but the scenario) they both can''t push on-Hughes seemed to sit back last night and he faded in and out of the game. Had, perhaps, Smith been at that pivotal place at the base of the midfield, we may have had more bite and presence there, but, again, its all hindsight. Gutted we lost, appalled at the nasty and vindictive response of Leeds fans, who I have defended in the past-thought they were loud and passionate, but not as they are showing now-but proud of all the players and team.

Swindon is MASSIVE, biggest game of season now, thus far. Need a win, get another run going asap. We should be going into it with confidence still, so lets hope so. But no 3-0, 4-0 predictions please, 1-0, scrappy, ball going in off Holt''s knee will do.

I fully agree with Barclayman on this, subs should have been used. Cody (or even Curo) should have been brought on for Martin after 70 minutes.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]As has already been said, its all in hindsight...

Rusty had the usual red mist flare up last night, but he had a superb game-yes, take him off to prevent him getting sent off maybe, but such was the nature of the game, I don''t think a midfielder would have had the time to settle into the pattern of the play that quickly. Different for a striker-and yes, maybe Cody Mac could have come on for Martin on 75-however, if we''d have hung on, then no-one would have said anything about substitutions.

There are posters on here-and WOTB-who seize on any opportunity to criticise Lambert (and did you hear some of them on Canary Call last night?), and yes, he will get a hard time from some, as we seem to have the most demanding set of fans in England, but thats by the by. One difficulty, I think, is playing Hughes and Russell in the same team, both are offensive midfielders, but, a''la Gerrard and Lampard for England (not comparing the playes, but the scenario) they both can''t push on-Hughes seemed to sit back last night and he faded in and out of the game. Had, perhaps, Smith been at that pivotal place at the base of the midfield, we may have had more bite and presence there, but, again, its all hindsight. Gutted we lost, appalled at the nasty and vindictive response of Leeds fans, who I have defended in the past-thought they were loud and passionate, but not as they are showing now-but proud of all the players and team.

Swindon is MASSIVE, biggest game of season now, thus far. Need a win, get another run going asap. We should be going into it with confidence still, so lets hope so. But no 3-0, 4-0 predictions please, 1-0, scrappy, ball going in off Holt''s knee will do.[/quote]Wrong and wrong. It was not a case of hindsight for me cause me and my mate were shouting for the last 20 mins to get Russell off and bring Cody on!And if we''d have hung on for a draw i would still be saying the exact same thing, that had we made some timely tactical substitutions then we could have won it! Leeds made some timely tactical subs and won the game.

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]No point in making subs if the players getting brought on are sub-standard, wouldn''t have made a difference to Leeds going forward swapping Martin for Cody[/quote]Sub-standard? I don''t think so. On last night''s showing I would say Cody is better than Beckford.

So you wanted to take Russell (midfield) off and bring Cody (striker) on. Presumably change the shape and weaken the midfield at a time when Leeds were at their strongest all match.

Perhaps I can see why Lambert has his job and you don''t!

"So you wanted to take Russell (midfield) off and bring Cody (striker) on. Presumably change the shape and weaken the midfield at a time when Leeds were at their strongest all match.

Perhaps I can see why Lambert has his job and you don''t!"

Concur-the midfield kept us in the game. It would have weakened us and given Leeds more and more chances to muscle there way through. I''m not saying that we shouldn''t have had a change-Cody for Martin on about 70,75 mins seemed nailed on, but Martin has a bit about him, physically, that Cody doesn''t-Lambert put out a strong side last night and it deserved something, that we can, at least, all agree on!

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Smudger"]Right... [Y][/quote]

Pause a moment people . . . . . . Smudger saw a game because it was on telly . . . . . . right, now where were we?

Oh yes. Lambert should have given the lads a cup of tea at half time.
[/quote]

I have seen plenty of games this season Chicken, so do keep up with the times.  As I have also mentioned several times before... I can pick up in one match what you fail to in a whole season.

I really do not know why you follow football when you know so little about the game??? [:^)] [:$]

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

Exactly right Chicken.  The disappointment of the last couple of minutes has led to people losing the plot. 

For 90 mins we matched (and even bettered) the top team in this league away from home, we fought back from going a goal down, we played with spirit and passed the ball nicely - FFS when was the last time we did all these things at home yet alone away?  Who should get the credit for building that sort of belief and confidence?  I say thank you Lambert.

Maybe with hindsight a sub would have changed things but it is easy to judge after the event.  Look on the match thread and see comments from people who were being texted by those at the game saying it was the best they had seen us in years.  Alternatively listen to the commentators on Sky talking about how good BOTH teams looked and saying how we were desperately unlucky.

If we play that well each week we will be in the playoff frame at the end of the season and we will all be hailing Lambert as a God.

Rant over, sorry!

[/quote]

Yeah and we still lost... shows how clueless most of our fans are really doesn''t it???

Plenty of posession but done little with it.  Leeds had more shots on target in the last 10 mins than we had in the entire match.  Incase you hadn''t noticed, football is a gmae where the aim is to put the ball in the back of the net more times than the opposition??? [:^)] [:$]

As for hailing a manager as GOD for getting us in the play-offs in this awful league?  You may well do because you have low expectations... I would expect our manager to be sacked if he did not have us in the play-offs at the very least.  No point in sacking the manager though when the club is still corrupt at it''s very core.

Anyhow, remember it''s promotion or bust and unless Lambert is given money to strengthen the squad as he ses fit then we can say hello to another season in this league which will make this one look like a picnic as Leeds, Charlton and MK Dons are promoted.

Smudger your timing is impeccable, you suddenly appear after our first defeat in 6 games. Bit of a coincidence.[;)]If the game had ended 1-1 no one would have questioned Lambert and you would not have appeared. Lets hope we beat Swindon on Saturday, eh?

[quote user="Smudger"]No point in sacking the manager though when the club is still corrupt at it''s very core.[/quote]Would you mind explaining that smudger?

[quote user="Smudger"]

As for hailing a manager as GOD for getting us in the play-offs in this awful league?  You may well do because you have low expectations... [/quote]

And why would we have low expectations, Einstein???? Oh yyyyyyyyyeah. Because we made an awful start and had a PR man doing the managers job. Durrrrrrrrrrr. If Lambert had the job from June, or even last June, then I would expect promotion without question. But not coming in, having to inherit a horrible squad and restore confidence in the bargain.

The main plus point with last night was that we played good football, with intelligent movement and brave tactics. It''s been a long time coming. Can''t you just enjoy a bit of progress, you grumpy old git?!

I''m getting sick of this AFTER every game, there has to be a scapegoat doesnt there?

Yes? I''m not innocent I know, but its cluking pathetic guys! so I''m ditching the wizard, he''s had his moaning days, as soon  as a new username befitting a superb manager, team and fans spring to mind I''ll change it!

Everyone Needs To Get Over The Fact That We Lost Last Night, And Stop Looking For People To Blame. If Its Not Forster''s Fault, Then It''s Otsemobor''s, Now Its Lamberts! All Of the Players Will Have Gotten Over It And Will Now Be Focusing On Saturday''s Game. You Should Do The Same!