Sign in to follow this  
anothatracksuitmanager

midfield options

Last night showed we have some very strong options in midfield but who should start next game. I think if korey is back we go with korey, hughes and russell.  Nothing against lappin but he gives us the least of the 4.  Hughes gives us some good passing, russell an energy and bite in the tackle, smith is a good all rounder, lappin just seems the weak link of the 4 to me.Mind you with gill and adeyemi in the squad as well we musdt have the best midfield depth in the league.

Lappin offers the least? Aside from keeping snogarse quiet, he got the assist for the goal last night.

And how many other assists has he had this season? A good few i think. We are more threatening from set pieces than i can remember for a long time and a lot of that is down to better crossing from the likes of Lappin, as well as a better arial threat from Holt, Askou and Nelsen.

not knocking lappin, I just think hughes gives us more. Smith and russell provide the energy and tackling which I think we need and I would rather have them 2 and either one of lappin and hughes.. Hughes to me offered the more positive attacking threat, looking to hit diagonal balls forward and carry the ball in midfield. Still it''s a nice choice to have is it not.

[quote user="anothatracksuitmanager"]Last night showed we have some very strong options in midfield but who should start next game. I think if korey is back we go with korey, hughes and russell.  Nothing against lappin but he gives us the least of the 4. 
Hughes gives us some good passing, russell an energy and bite in the tackle, smith is a good all rounder, lappin just seems the weak link of the 4 to me.

Mind you with gill and adeyemi in the squad as well we musdt have the best midfield depth in the league.
[/quote]

Yeah sure... Gill and Adeyemi are so good that they were left sat on the bench while Russell walked a tightrope on a yellow card, the rest of our midfield had tired and Leeds subs were running us ragged during the last 15 mins or so.

Despite Lambert''s comments last week we have no strenght in depth in centre midfield.  I can only think that his comments were aimed at offloading Matty Gill back to Exeter as part of the Seaborne deal.