Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Russell - lucky to stay on

After getting the booking he still clattered into a couple of their players. Lambert really must tell him how difficult it is to win with 10 men.

[quote user="jersey_canary"]why did we only bring on our first sub at 92 mins????

I would have rusty off as soon as he got that yellow he was loosing it.[/quote]Wrong. He can''t be subbed every time he''s booked. He was superb today and our best player. He got stuck in.He is expected by the manager to battle compete and he will get booked. His past misdemeanors are in the past. You can''t have a player who has to be subbed after every yellow card.Leeds had a player booked after 40 seconds!

[quote user="jersey_canary"]why did we only bring on our first sub at 92 mins???? I would have rusty off as soon as he got that yellow he was loosing it.[/quote]

I wouldn''t. He was playing far too well.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="jersey_canary"]why did we only bring on our first sub at 92 mins???? I would have rusty off as soon as he got that yellow he was loosing it.[/quote]Wrong. He can''t be subbed every time he''s booked. He was superb today and our best player. He got stuck in.

He is expected by the manager to battle compete and he will get booked. His past misdemeanors are in the past. You can''t have a player who has to be subbed after every yellow card.

Leeds had a player booked after 40 seconds!
[/quote]

I agree, Leeds did have a player booked very early on, but Russell gave away at least two free kicks that were possible yellow card offences and we cannot be in the situation where we have 10 men on the pitch in games like this.

[quote user="jersey_canary"]id rather have 11 men on the pitch away from home with 15 mins to go than 10 men. If ur then going to bring gill on don''t give him 2 mins[/quote]

You have to trust your players. Particularly your better ones.

Rusty was playing well, probably our best player on the night.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]After getting the booking he still clattered into a couple of their players. Lambert really must tell him how difficult it is to win with 10 men.[/quote]I tend to agree, but Russell''s aggression is his strength and weakness.  Tonight he was pretty much in control of his aggression and we were better for it, but the worrying thing is that he doesn''t seem to know when to rein it in a bit when he''s already on a yellow.

im not disputing that but even the best have to come off look at beckham and rooney. You know when they have lost it and sometimes u have to bring them off

I agree with HH44. For the first 75 minutes or so Russell was our best player and gave us a really sound platform which allowed the rest of the team to play. For the last fifteen minutes he walked the tightrope between being a complete d*ck and a complete c*ck but just about got away with it. He''s really impressed me since he''s come back and despite his wobbly fifteen minutes at the end I''d still make him our MOM tonight.

[quote user="jersey_canary"]im not disputing that but even the best have to come off look at beckham and rooney. You know when they have lost it and sometimes u have to bring them off[/quote]

Who, on our bench, could have come on to replace Darel Russell and done the job he was doing?

Really not a fan of DR at all....However, i think we have found his rightful place in the side. Thought he was fantastic tonight. Did exactly what was required of him and allowed our better players (hools and hughes) the luxury of time and space in the attacking 3rd.May well be a case for replaxcing him after 75 or so as seemed to lose composure but as rightly pointed out, who could have come on and done his job???Pl seems to have brought the best out of him and long may it continue.

Russell was yet again our best player tonight.

I thought his booking was harsh, but after that he could quite easily of picked up a silly 2nd yellow.

Perhaps if we had of had better options on the bench then russell could of been withdrawn, or at least given some help from a more defensive minded midfielder being brought on from the bench and reverting in to a 4-4-2 for the last 10 to 15 mins.

He played well, as he has done since returning to the team, but has shown again that he has not learnt to control his ridiculous temperament. Until he realises that he can be hard and aggressive without stupidity he will always be a liability as he has been far too often. However good he has been he has rarely fulfilled his potential. He deserves his place, but the fans, the team and club deserve more from him. He also owes it to himself to lose his attitude problem. He may then go on to play at a level higher than mid championship, which i beieve to be his standard.

I felt with 15 to go he looked shot. Fantastic til then but was loosing it. I''d have liked to have seen DR off and cody on at that point. hughes to central martin right and cody up front with holt.i felt we had 3 players that were not up to the rest of the teams standard tonight. Askou, Doc and Semmy need replacing for me and Forster HAS to improve his distribution although he seems to know it, from the look on his face as he kicked badly (not the last one- that was just a freak miskick that can happen to anyone) he clearly knows its a big weakness and I suspect he is working on it in training already as it''s been obvious since he arrived.

So now it is Doc AND Askou that need replacing?

I can''t wait for Nelson to get fit so that the poor kids hanging around outside the ground have a couple of balls to go home with...

I mean I know that the Doc must have got his international caps due to at least 25 injuries or just throough sympathy but the closest Nelson is likely to come to one of those is if he buys a cap with ''Tenerife'' on it next time he goes on holiday!!!

Absolutely- I don''t think we have any center backs that can be relyed on. With a stronger player than Doc alongside Askou can do a job in this league but is not up to the standards we are seeing in front of him. I suspect we will only manage to bring in one CB and I don''t think it matters too much which one he replaces. Beckford was flagged offside a few times last night when JBA was playing him on.I like Askou more than Doc but I just don''t feel he is really as good as we need.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Absolutely- I don''t think we have any center backs that can be relyed on. With a stronger player than Doc alongside Askou can do a job in this league but is not up to the standards we are seeing in front of him. I suspect we will only manage to bring in one CB and I don''t think it matters too much which one he replaces. Beckford was flagged offside a few times last night when JBA was playing him on.
I like Askou more than Doc but I just don''t feel he is really as good as we need.
[/quote]

Agreed.....but add semmy to that! he just can not defend! he backs off, and makes the defence unstable!

I''m a bit worried about this tightrope between a complete d*ck and a complete c*ck - is your own genitalia part of this Shack?

Agree about Rusty.  I thought he was walking after that tackle, but the ref was really good last night and didnt give in to the crowd.What did rather concern me was Holt''s booking, he is now on 4 and one more will mean a 1 game ban.   I don''t feel that we have a replacement for what Holt gives so we are going to have to deal with that some time soon it seems.

[quote user="Duffman"]
What did rather concern me was Holt''s booking, he is now on 4 and one more will mean a 1 game ban.   I don''t feel that we have a replacement for what Holt gives so we are going to have to deal with that some time soon it seems.
[/quote]

Two cup games after Saturday for him to serve a suspension. Not that I''m suggesting he picks one up to get it out of the way of course.....

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[quote user="Duffman"]What did rather concern me was Holt''s booking, he is now on 4 and one more will mean a 1 game ban.   I don''t feel that we have a replacement for what Holt gives so we are going to have to deal with that some time soon it seems.[/quote]

Two cup games after Saturday for him to serve a suspension. Not that I''m suggesting he picks one up to get it out of the way of course.....

[/quote]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/100276794_548c83c4eb.jpg

I like Russell, the physical side of the game comes naturally and every team needs someone like him.  He''s not big on common sense unfortunately.

He''s a bit of a legend in my book for his retribution on Kevin Muscat after his assault on Craig Bellamy.  The next time we came up against him (I think Muscat was still at Wolves, or was it Millwall?) they had a free kick just outside the box, Muscat stayed back and so did Rusty.  When the ref turned away Rusty nailed him good and proper, Muscat went down like the proverbial sack of manure and lay motionless in a heap as we roared our approval.  It had to be done.  Couldn''t have happened to a nicer fella . . . [:D]

[quote user="Duffman"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[quote user="Duffman"]What did rather concern me was Holt''s booking, he is now on 4 and one more will mean a 1 game ban.   I don''t feel that we have a replacement for what Holt gives so we are going to have to deal with that some time soon it seems.[/quote]

[/quote]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/100276794_548c83c4eb.jpg[/quote]E- e-excellent Smithers!!

Russell was superb last night, but like several of you I really had grave fears that he was risking getting his marching orders from the ref. But the ref proved to be one of the best we have seen for some time and sensibly chose to keep his cards in his pocket for most of the match.