Sign in to follow this  
knowhatimean

Ambition

The next two months will tell how much Norwich City Football Club has in the way of ambition to stay in the Premiership. Having worked so hard to get promoted, if results do not continue to go our way and we are embedded in the bottom three, will the Club simply shrug and accept relegation with the dream of parachute payments securing our instant return to the top flight or will they make a determined effort to ensure survival? When I say determined effort, I mean an injection of funds to entice better quality players on short term loans AND a better quality Management Team to coach these players. Other Clubs can do it - why not Norwich City? Yes we know all about the financial situation (at least, what we are told of it) but then do not most Clubs run on overdrafts these days? We should be cementing our position in the Premiership, not surrendering it without a whimper. Our marvellous supporters (for the most part) deserve to be in the Premiership and I hope every effort will be made to preserve our status. I suspect, however, the Board will carry on as their predecessors did in 1995 and settle for what they have now. What a shame - I hope I am wrong!

knowwhatimean, you could hardly call me the board''s no one supporter - but surely it is not as bad as 1994-5!! 

we were second in the prem, just having had a european run and due to circumstances which later became apparent, didn''t strengthen the team - with dire consequences - we sold five strikers that year, i cannot see us doing anything on that scale now, for a start football has changed dramatically since those times

however, i am of the opinion that we do need to bring in higher quality coaching staff rather than players, we have played almost half of the season and still cannot get to grips with the way football is played in this league, yes of course it would be nice to have strikers like henry etc, but it isn''t going to happen, however, you would expect the whole team to be able to pass the ball to each other and play for 90 minutes

but like you i rather expect the powers that be will take our fate on the chin and say that''s life, not really do anything to prevent the inevitable come May

Another dig at the clubs ability. Of course I would love to see the likes of Okocha, Rooney, Hasselbaink even Melchiot in a yellow shirt however that is not where this club is today and will not be for a couple of years. In no way can the current regime be compared to those dark dark days of a decade ago.

I agree with GTG that the coaching can be improved - the evidence of my own eyes suggests that some fundamentals or clearly not right - lack of movement, poor passing, midfield too deep and lack of organisation/positional sense in our defenders are 4 glaring shortfalls that need addressing.

Until this happens the club wont move forward. Even buying Van Nistelrooy with having the service our midfield provided against Fulham will mean we simply have a quality striker chasing a ball rather than having any chances to do what he is supposed to - score.

OTBC

Hi GTG - No,I am not sauying the situation is as bad as 94/95 but unless something drastic is done, the end result will be the same. If you remember, the Club had enjoyed probably the most successful period in its history when ordinary players were transformed into a quality team. Then the policy changed and instead of reinforcing their position, well, we all know what happened. What I am saying, do we need to go down that particular path again? For a start I do not think we have quality players to sell but like you and Zipper, having witnessed the training methods, feel that a higher class of coach is required if our ordinary players can be improved with basic skills like passing and movement. More important, as I have mentioned on another post, we need an injection of passion and motivation - something I do not witness at FCR at the moment, neither on or off the pitch. I know I seem to be having a real moan today but I do not want to see the Club I love and have followed for over 60 years (yes, sixty years) be condemned once again to the lower leagues for the sake of necessary change.

Firstly comparing this situation to 1995 is completely and utterly unjust in my opinion. Making the step up to the Prem from the first division (Championship as it is now!) is bigger than ever. We have had a very difficult time in the past 9 years battling back from the bottom and so sometimes I wonder how forgetful people can be. Is our club as a whole in a better position than even this time last year? Of course it is, and thats a very good start for ambition. The charge often levelled at the club is basically saying we don''t want to stay up, and I cannot see how anyone could believe that. Everyone wishes we had more money to spend. But that''s the same at every club bar Chelsea.

AND the biggest factor which makes me shake my head in disbelief is that so many people moan about us needing to spend more money, whilst a team who spent more than us to go up, and have spent much, much more than us this season (from £4m for Earnshaw, to Kanu''s massive wages) are currently below us in the league. Who knows whether they will stay there, but the point remains that West Brom look little better than us. And how much money has been invested in the squads of Blackburn, Southampton, Birmingham and Fulham? Money is not the be all and end all and I think a lot of the time supporters can just use it as an excuse for their team not doing as well as they hope. It is a factor of course, but as we sit here now it''s easy to say "well if they spent £3m on a striker we would stay up", but no one can guarantee that. The crucial point is: If spending that money and not staying up would put us in a position where getting back up would be more difficult then you can understand why the club wouldn''t take that risk. And for all the jibes and claims of "not telling the truth" (which may have some truth to a degree as with any club), only the club truly knows whether this would be the case. As a fan it is easy to disregard this dilemma as we don''t have to accept responsibility for the consequences. If we spent £3m on a striker and still went down, chances are a few more players would have to leave and we would have less money to reinvest in the team next season. The same supporters angry now would be moaning just as much then, decrying a lack of ambition and such. Truth is, football club boards are on a hiding to nothing in many cases.

As for the initial comment about our fans deserving to be in the Prem, of course I would agree with the sentiment. But don''t you think that Sunderland''s fans would say the same, or West Ham''s, or Leeds'', or Forest''s, or Sheffield Wednesday''s, or Derby''s, or Leicester''s, or Wolves'' etc. The cruel nature of the game is that everyone wants to win, but only a few can at any time. Every club around us will probably spend more money in January, but still 3 teams are going to have to go down. Hopefully we can get one or two new faces in with our limited money (perhaps one being a loan) which can just make the difference. It might not be good enough, but spending £3m might not be good enough either if you don''t buy the "right" player/s. A couple of new faces to give us a fighting chance would be enough for me, and I don''t think that''s being defeatist, but being realistic about our current position as a club.

Dear Knowetc. I think you know in your heart of hearts what the outcome of this season is going to be, to believe otherwise makes you the greatest eternal optimist. Surely nothing that has happened so far this year gives us any real hope for optimism.

I remember in the past buying 1/2 season tickets at Xmas on two occasions, one year saw just one game after Xmas Watford I think, the other year didn''t use it at all.  Likely to be the same after Xmas only with a season ticket for the whole year.  I am sorry but I cannot bear to witness what seems to be our abject capitulation to the inevitable, if that makes me a fairweather supporter so be it.  I have paid for my folly.  

By the way knowhatimean I submitted my reponse before your second post so I accept you are not really comparing 2004 to ''95. And my comments are more about the general clamour for spending money rather than particularly at odds with your thoughts. It''s just that your comments made me think a bit more about the situaion in general! We all want the best for the club that''s for sure.

By the way knowhatimean I submitted my reponse before your second post so I accept you are not really comparing 2004 to ''95. And my comments are more about the general clamour for spending money rather than particularly at odds with your thoughts. It''s just that your comments made me think a bit more about the situaion in general! We all want the best for the club that''s for sure.

[quote]knowwhatimean, you could hardly call me the board''s no one supporter - but surely it is not as bad as 1994-5!! we were second in the prem, just having had a european run and due to circumstances wh...[/quote]

I aint saying a word Gazza, blast it!!, I just did.  

mcsnfcsmsmsmschfh et al,

I think that we all agree money don''t buy you love...BUT and apologies for the caps, we do need to "invest" in the squad. You are right to say look at West Brom, but look at who they have bought - a right bunch of champagne charlies with an overinflated sense of self worth. Kanu - thinks he''s better than he is. Earnshaw - inflated ego because he was on everyone''s shopping list.

We need to be looking to pick up the journey-men players as much as the starlets. I don''t remember a City team where one man was bigger than the others - even in the good old days. It is about building a team spirit and having some spirited players as well as having some gifted players - forgive me for harking back to the olden days, but I always remember City as being a team with at least one "old-timer" giving his all and sharing his experience with the youngsters - look at Channon (whisper his name softly - Royle) etc...

You are right to say it''s a different ball game now, but we have to accept that it''s much more than a 90 minute kick about on a Saturday afternoon - it''s a major financial concern now and you have to speculate to accumulate - but the trick is doing it wisely a la Allardyce or badly a la WBA or Ip***ch.

But then, that''s Nigel and the board''s job. Hopefully they know what they are doing - I for one though will be first in the queue in January if they do nothing or come up with some pointless signings!

Knowhatimean: "When I say determined effort, I mean an injection of funds".

I think when people talk about ''ambition'' they really mean ''debt''. If there are no piles of tenners stuffed under a stand somewhere, then that means increasing the current debt from £18m to... what? £25m? £30m?

Its funny how, almost exactly a year ago, fans called for the club to show ambition and sign Hux etc. They did, although we now know the real cost of last season''s push/gamble/ambition to get up. So in the summer it was "show some ambition, don''t just go with the players who got us up", so the club signed 7 players, mostly internationals, no doubt on pretty big wages. Now its "show some ambition". It probably never ends, but the debt will just spiral up and up and as any bailiff will tell you, that''s a one way street to doing an Ipswich.

So fans can call for "more ambition" (more debt) as much as they like, but I''m quietly pleased that the board won''t put ambition before the clubs survival. I think of far more clubs like Leeds who tried that (at their level) and failed, than those who ended up OK. Because, there never does come a time when you pay off the debt. Look at Man City went up like us, showing ambition by signing big names - fine - but over £50m in debt. Not only do they have to service that debt but one day it will have to be paid off... and what happens then? Its like running up a credit card bill for Christmas... what happens after...?

[quote]Dear Knowetc. I think you know in your heart of hearts what the outcome of this season is going to be, to believe otherwise makes you the greatest eternal optimist. Surely nothing that has happened so...[/quote]

Peter

Why don''t you just not buy a season ticket and let one of the many fans who would treasure the opportunity of going to watch their team have a seat for the season then? Frankly you are clearly the type of fan we can do without if thats your attitude.

Yes I am a little frustrated at the slightly over cautious approach that has been taken this season but I will still go every week to support the team. At the end of the day we were lucky last season that all our signings worked out. That has not happened yet this season but still could.

IMO it''s constructive criticism to say that the coaching should be improved. It''s not like saying those in charge of the club are trying to deceive us or cheat us or are stupid or negligent - I don''t believe they are any of those things, and there is absolutely no evidence that they are.

Back when we made it to Cardiff, I said that if we managed to get promotion we should invest in the coaching and academy side rather than buying players, and I still feel that. But great coaches are as rare as great strikers. Hopefully we can unearth a gem, but even if we do, loyalty to the team that got us this far is still the right thing.

[quote]Knowhatimean: "When I say determined effort, I mean an injection of funds". I think when people talk about ''ambition'' they really mean ''debt''. If there are no piles of tenners stuffed under a stand ...[/quote]

Spending more money would not mean going into more debt than we have already, have u forgot the 18 million or so sky tv money or the 4.5 million land money still outstanding? I find it hard to believe how some of our supporters seem to be so paranoid about spending money nowadays.

At the end of the day a football club is only successful if they have good enough players to compete at the level they play and at this moment in time we do not have players capable of performing consistently at this level. We have but 2 choices, don''t bother spending money and undoubtebly go down in the probably vain hope that we''ll bounce straight back.

Alternatively we could spend a few quid and at least try and hang on to our hard won status. The question is how much should we spend, imo we should certainly be able to give Worthy an additional 4 million without putting the club at risk. 5 million quid would be enough to strengthen the team significantly if spent wisely. My guess would be that we will probably have around 2 million to spend which may just stretch to a half decent striker, just hope Worthy has someone in mind.

Jim I''m with Peter on this one and after all we have paid our money its our right to have an opinion. I have been a season ticket holder since the late 70''s and I was also at Maine Rd when we conceded 6 as well as being at Blackburn when we conceded 7 on both occasions I was happy to be a city fan and would never have considered not attending a match.

Even in the dark days of Brian Hamilton we managed to put a side out who could compete for 90 minutes. Lets face it its not the step up in quality because many of the teams around us are very poor and this is probably the worst premiership for many years.

I will buy my season ticket for next season regardless but you cant force me to watch us go down without a whimper. I hope we sign a couple of players to give us a fighting chance and then come what may. But if we don''t get anyone in that will make a difference I may find those little DIY jobs more pressing on a Saturday afternoon.

[quote]The next two months will tell how much Norwich City Football Club has in the way of ambition to stay in the Premiership. Having worked so hard to get promoted, if results do not continue to go our way...[/quote]

The time is nigh! Hopefully we shall soon have the answer!!
OTBC

Well, we have had part of the answer I and I would congratulate the Club in signing who hopefully will be the answer at one end of the field. Now all we need is somebody to prop up our leaky defence and with Flem now Captain, we may get somewhere - like mid-table. We shall see!!

OTBC