Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Korey Smith - anyone know the injury?

He''s been excellent so far this season and although the midfield played well last night I would prefer him to Hughes as Hughes and Lappin are too similar to have in the team, we need another harrier and enforcer to help russell...weve got lappin and mainly hoolahan to pick out the passesSo, as the title suggest any news on his injury? how long he is out for?

[quote user="Big Bob"]I think the weak link in our midfield last night was Lappin, apart from his delivery he offers us very little
[/quote]

Totally agree with you Big Bob. Whilst not wishing to slag Lappin, whose handled all that''s been thrown at him admirably, I do have my doubts about his ability to ''mix it'' at times. In a diamond midfield we already have Wes who''s a tad fragile, and when Lappin''s in his ''delicate'' mode I fear there are times when we could get over-run. Korey, despite his tender years, adds a bit more steel, but doesn''t have Lappin''s sweet left foot. I guess Lambert will pick ''horses for courses'' (pardon the footballing cliche!). 

But ... given the way we passed the ball last night it''s hard to be too critical of any of them, and indeed Stephen Hughes proved yet again why he should be the first name on the team sheet.

Seems to be a bit of an old fashioned attitude on this forum, but I felt a tingle of pride last night ... even at the end!

OTBC

[quote user="Big Duncs Bloody Shirt"]

[quote user="Big Bob"]I think the weak link in our midfield last night was Lappin, apart from his delivery he offers us very little[/quote]

Totally agree with you Big Bob. Whilst not wishing to slag Lappin, whose handled all that''s been thrown at him admirably, I do have my doubts about his ability to ''mix it'' at times. In a diamond midfield we already have Wes who''s a tad fragile, and when Lappin''s in his ''delicate'' mode I fear there are times when we could get over-run. Korey, despite his tender years, adds a bit more steel, but doesn''t have Lappin''s sweet left foot. I guess Lambert will pick ''horses for courses'' (pardon the footballing cliche!). 

But ... given the way we passed the ball last night it''s hard to be too critical of any of them, and indeed Stephen Hughes proved yet again why he should be the first name on the team sheet.

Seems to be a bit of an old fashioned attitude on this forum, but I felt a tingle of pride last night ... even at the end!

OTBC

[/quote]Yeah for Lappin to still want to play for the club through what Roeder put him through is brilliant, his corners were decent last night, and of course it was his cross that Holt put in, but he gave it away quite a few times and didn''t really do anything all match, hughes was solid defensively but also got forward well, i remember well 1 little run in the second half when he jinxed past a few of them put in a cross that was blocked and we got a corner, something you can''t see Lappin doing, I agree Hughes Smith Russell and Hoolahan would be our best midfield 4, but with those 4 we lose any real quality that Lappin gives us in terms of crossing. As you say " Horses for Courses"

[quote user="The Lord"] I would prefer him to Hughes as Hughes and Lappin are too similar to have in the team[/quote]So what are the similarities? That they both play midfield and are Scottish?If you ask me, Hughes and Lappin are very different players.

[quote user="Ole"][quote user="The Lord"] I would prefer him to Hughes as Hughes and Lappin are too similar to have in the team
[/quote]

So what are the similarities? That they both play midfield and are Scottish?
If you ask me, Hughes and Lappin are very different players.
[/quote]

Why is it that even after what i thought was a solid peformance when i thought every last player done their bit people still have to slag someone off?????.

Do us all a favour do one so the rest of us can get behind a team we are proud of!!!

We missed his snarling and snapping last night, I reckon he should take Lappins place as I thought over the last few games he has not been top rate.

Although we get rid of Lappin, we will have no width at all.

Forster

Semmy (as we have no choice) Askou Doc Drury

Hughes Smith Russell Martin

Hooly

Holt.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

We missed his snarling and snapping last night, I reckon he should take Lappins place as I thought over the last few games he has not been top rate.

Although we get rid of Lappin, we will have no width at all.

Forster

Semmy  Askou Doc Drury

Hughes Smith Russell Martin

Hooly

Holt.

[/quote]

thats better [;)]

people are saying were lacking width, well of course we are..we have no natural wingers at the club (unless you count whaley, which I don''t atm) hence why were playing a diamond where the system is to play the football through the middle with guile rather then use pace on the wings which is working well..Also I wasn''t ''slagging'' off any of the players as you eloquently put it, I was just suggesting I would prefer a partnership of either lappin/smith or hughes/smith rather then lappin/hughes..The latter both being slight in the tackle, good passers of the ball, can create the killer ball but equally don''t close down as quickly or as consistently as smith.

Only changes i would make is Smith for Lappin and Spillane for Semmy. Would be my team if everyone was fit.

I am not sure replacing Lappin with Smith would work.   Lappin has been working on teh flank while Smith has been THE star player in central midfield,  finally returning serious energy an area of the pitch that was lacking any drive.   He brings that to the team far more effectively than Hughes or Russell. 

IF he comes back it is at the expense of one of those two IMO,  on the balance of performances a tough choice,  and I would be happy with either the SMith HUghes or Smith Russell paratnership,  but I think my preference, alas, is the Smith and HUghes option purely because, for me, Hughes keeps and uses the ball marginally more  effectively than Rusty does.

As for Lappin,  who do we have at the club that can play left?   Hoolahan has improved by being shifted forward so moving him back upsets the attacking side of the team and weakens us defensively,   which leaves who exactly??  We need another option there for sure.

Lappin is actually quite creative and seems to be working well with Drury allowing him to overlap and covers people well. He is also one of the first midfielders to react and get back to help defend.Other than that he was the player who crossed the ball for Holt to score from and also created quite a few other chances. If you take him off and replace him with Smith who is going to take set pieces and who is going to be crossing the ball like he does?Gill - although people love to slag him off as well - can take set pieces and cross, you could try him instead although I believe he is right footed.Other than that why is it people are trying to find a single player to slag off? We are in the top six for crying out loud, Lappin has played pretty much everygame and done a solid job of it, Semi has just come back from injury and Leeds was one of our best performances all season, but no your right its not good enough lets drop half the team anyway.As for Smith and Daley etc - they were the reason we got bossed off the park against MK Dons, I think Lambert realised we needed men against Leeds not boys and they did a great job.