Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Is Lambert too passionate?

I love the way he''s almost on the pitch with them, playing every ball, but does he need to keep part of himself a bit more detached? I think everyone here could see how Leeds changed their tactics late on - &, in particular, how Gradel went through the tiring defence like a knife through butter - but I wonder if he was too caught up in the moment to moment action to think about bringing subs. on.I think his strategy is great, he''s managed to instill organisation & confidence throughout the whole team (well, nearly), but I''m not sure about his tactical awareness. I think he sometimes needs to just stand back a little & take stock.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I love the way he''s almost on the pitch with them, playing every ball, but does he need to keep part of himself a bit more detached? I think everyone here could see how Leeds changed their tactics late on - &, in particular, how Gradel went through the tiring defence like a knife through butter - but I wonder if he was too caught up in the moment to moment action to think about bringing subs. on.I think his strategy is great, he''s managed to instill organisation & confidence throughout the whole team (well, nearly), but I''m not sure about his tactical awareness. I think he sometimes needs to just stand back a little & take stock.

[/quote]I do think it was slightly out-of-character for Lambert not to make any substitutions when Gradel came on, but I think the real issue is that we don''t have the depth of squad to bring somebody on to change the games like that, especially with Korey out injured. Perhaps McDonald would have given them something to think about, but I don''t think he''s been prolific this season, and not sure he would have helped bolster the defence.I think tactically Lambert has been very astute in terms of his formations and strategies, but if you actually compare ours and Leeds'' squad man-to-man, to get close to them away from home is somewhat of an achievement in itself.

At the risk of coming out with a footballing cliche, he is still a relatively young and inexperienced Manager, and he is still learning.

He''ll have taken a lot from this game. His mettle and that of the players, will be illustrated very well by how they perform on Saturday.

Passionate, don''t have a problem with that-Mourinho''s jog up and down Old Trafford when Porto beat Man Utd, Martin O''Neill and Gordon Strachan, kicking every ball and living every moment of the game-that sort of reaction might lift some players, it might put others off, and, passion, on its own-not good enough, but passion compared with no little nous and a good coach in Culverhouse, yes, carry on...

I think the main problem was the pace that Gradel introduced. If you look at our bench, we didn''t have anyone on there that would have helped deal with that.

Also, I don''t have a problem with Lambrt''s passion, very much like Martin O''Neill.

If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???

[quote user="Smudger"]If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???[/quote]Yawn.Change the record you dopey midlands gimp.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Smudger"]If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???[/quote]Yawn.Change the record you dopey midlands gimp.[/quote]Especially seeing as he''s got no evidence either way, and is just going on hearsay and loose deductive reasoning. Almost like he just wants to slate the club at any possible opportunity really.

I''m not sure if a manager can be too passionate, although the much-maligned Peter Grant was extremely passionate and committed but he couldn''t seem to channel his energy in the right way. There was too much pointing and telling the players the exact square foot of grass he wanted them to be on.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]

I think the main problem was the pace that Gradel introduced. If you look at our bench, we didn''t have anyone on there that would have helped deal with that.

Also, I don''t have a problem with Lambrt''s passion, very much like Martin O''Neill.

[/quote]Too passionate? Fergie, Wenger, O''Neil, Moyles all express their emotions on the sidelines and go with their teams through the highs and lows of a game. I actually think it makes them more in touch with what is going on on the pitch. Look at Benitez - doesn''t really do very much does he, peers out from behind his glasses, scowls, writes on a bit of paper. You ask yourself if O''Neil had Torres and Gerrard etc would they be doing better? I think so.As for Gradel, I don''t think it was his pace, it was his creativity and energy. He never outpaced anyone particularily, he just started to knock balls to feet - something Leeds struggled to do all night. He tried to link play up which he did well. Up until that point for me Snodgrass or Naylor were their best players, Naylor because he was leading their defence reletively well and Snodgrass simply because he seemed to have most time on the ball.Looking at the replay of the last goal again it just reinforces what I have seen so far of Beckford. That lad is incredibly lucky, his first touch even at that point was woeful, he was lucky he had the space and time to get another touch to take it under.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Herb"][quote user="Smudger"]If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???[/quote]

Yawn.
Change the record you dopey midlands gimp.
[/quote]

Especially seeing as he''s got no evidence either way, and is just going on hearsay and loose deductive reasoning. Almost like he just wants to slate the club at any possible opportunity really.
[/quote]

Where as you wait for THE FACTS (otherwise known as well worded spin or complete and utter bull) to worm it''s way out the mouths of the gimps who have destroyed our club at Carrow Road.

Is good to see that they have a few new puppets but nothing has changed!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Herb"][quote user="Smudger"]If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???[/quote]Yawn.Change the record you dopey midlands gimp.[/quote]Especially seeing as he''s got no evidence either way, and is just going on hearsay and loose deductive reasoning. Almost like he just wants to slate the club at any possible opportunity really.[/quote]

Where as you wait for THE FACTS (otherwise known as well worded spin or complete and utter bull) to worm it''s way out the mouths of the gimps who have destroyed our club at Carrow Road.

[/quote]Yes, that''s right. Anyone who disagrees with Smudger and Friends'' Underground Resistance, is clearly one of the board''s puppets. I don''t see any spin coming from anywhere really - we''re are in a financially dire situation, McNally has alluded to this, Lambert has alluded to this, and we all know administration will come sooner rather than later if we don''t get promoted or some investment from somewhere. This in itself means the board are not stupid enough to not back Lambert wherever possible, and you have zero evidence to suggest otherwise. There''s no doubt they''ve made massive mistakes over the years, but can prove that they are withholding a pot of money for their own means, or that Lambert was misled about finances when he took the job?Still, the fact you continually try and debase other peoples'' characters and opinions probably implies you have plenty of unresolved issues yourself, so it''s not really fair to point and laugh at the forum idiot I suppose.

[quote user="Smudger"]If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???[/quote]

Smudger, we won''t find that out until January, if you want him to get loans in fine, but if memory serves me right you, me and many more wanted at some point OUR OWN TEAM on the field of play and not a load of unwanted players from other teams.

Oh well, another attempt to have a reasonable debate gets hijacked by the usual suspect(s).I appreciate this is a footie forum, so I shouldn''t really expect anything else. But it is a shame, because there are some people here who want to learn from each other''s point of view.Not always as exciting as calling another poster a f****** c******* piece of  s****  I grant you. But more interesting in the long run.Do not mistake egotism for passion - &, no, I don''t think Lambert is egotistical. He just loves good football, is all.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[/quote]

Too passionate? Fergie, Wenger, O''Neil, Moyles all express their emotions on the sidelines and go with their teams through the highs and lows of a game. I actually think it makes them more in touch with what is going on on the pitch. Look at Benitez - doesn''t really do very much does he, peers out from behind his glasses, scowls, writes on a bit of paper. You ask yourself if O''Neil had Torres and Gerrard etc would they be doing better? I think so.

As for Gradel, I don''t think it was his pace, it was his creativity and energy. He never outpaced anyone particularily, he just started to knock balls to feet - something Leeds struggled to do all night. He tried to link play up which he did well. Up until that point for me Snodgrass or Naylor were their best players, Naylor because he was leading their defence reletively well and Snodgrass simply because he seemed to have most time on the ball.

Looking at the replay of the last goal again it just reinforces what I have seen so far of Beckford. That lad is incredibly lucky, his first touch even at that point was woeful, he was lucky he had the space and time to get another touch to take it under.
[/quote]

I disagree. I think it was very much his pace, in my opinion his creativity and apparent energy were a biproduct of this. I didn''t say he outpaced anyone, it was the way that he picked the ball up in midfield and ran directly at our defence at pace that caused the problem. It also narrowed the gap between midfield and strikers enabling him to play far simpler balls. We needed to bring on another all action midfielder to pick up his runs from deep and stick with him. We didn''t have an option on the bench that would have been able to do that in my opinion.

This is what our midfield lacked on Monday. We looked good and knocked the ball around well, but without Smith no one actually ran at their defence to open up space for the likes of Wes, Martin and Holt to get behind or between the centre backs.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Herb"][quote user="Smudger"]If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???[/quote]

Yawn.
Change the record you dopey midlands gimp.
[/quote]

Especially seeing as he''s got no evidence either way, and is just going on hearsay and loose deductive reasoning. Almost like he just wants to slate the club at any possible opportunity really.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, that''s right. Anyone who disagrees with Smudger and Friends'' Underground Resistance, is clearly one of the board''s puppets. I don''t see any spin coming from anywhere really - we''re are in a financially dire situation, McNally has alluded to this, Lambert has alluded to this, and we all know administration will come sooner rather than later if we don''t get promoted or some investment from somewhere. This in itself means the board are not stupid enough to not back Lambert wherever possible, and you have zero evidence to suggest otherwise. There''s no doubt they''ve made massive mistakes over the years, but can prove that they are withholding a pot of money for their own means, or that Lambert was misled about finances when he took the job?

Still, the fact you continually try and debase other peoples'' characters and opinions probably implies you have plenty of unresolved issues yourself, so it''s not really fair to point and laugh at the forum idiot I suppose.
[/quote]

Err McNamee and Seaborne... not even £100k to spend on a player Lambert thought we needed!

I don''t fancy his chances of adding to our squad for the better with less than £100k to spend, do you?

Just because I call things about 2 years before you and the others on this forum can see what is staring them in the face I am the forum idiot??? Whatever flicks your switch... it is so easy to see why our country is in such a mess when it treads the same weary path year after year with those too dumb or too scared to challenge the status quo... [:$]

[quote user="BGGPOS"]

[quote user="Smudger"]If he had a little more passion then maybe he would have confronted those in the boardroom by now over why they won''t support him in the transfer market???[/quote]

Smudger, we won''t find that out until January, if you want him to get loans in fine, but if memory serves me right you, me and many more wanted at some point OUR OWN TEAM on the field of play and not a load of unwanted players from other teams.

[/quote]

Seaborne deal was loan before permanent deal in January.

I think that we have already found out that we are totally skint and that if Lambert wants money to spend then he has to sell first.

You can keep holding out for January to be let down yet again if you like.  Have you not learnt anything from the past 6 or 7 transfer windows where we have had to sell in order to spend?

[quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[/quote]Too passionate? Fergie, Wenger, O''Neil, Moyles all express their emotions on the sidelines and go with their teams through the highs and lows of a game. I actually think it makes them more in touch with what is going on on the pitch. Look at Benitez - doesn''t really do very much does he, peers out from behind his glasses, scowls, writes on a bit of paper. You ask yourself if O''Neil had Torres and Gerrard etc would they be doing better? I think so.As for Gradel, I don''t think it was his pace, it was his creativity and energy. He never outpaced anyone particularily, he just started to knock balls to feet - something Leeds struggled to do all night. He tried to link play up which he did well. Up until that point for me Snodgrass or Naylor were their best players, Naylor because he was leading their defence reletively well and Snodgrass simply because he seemed to have most time on the ball.Looking at the replay of the last goal again it just reinforces what I have seen so far of Beckford. That lad is incredibly lucky, his first touch even at that point was woeful, he was lucky he had the space and time to get another touch to take it under.[/quote]

I disagree. I think it was very much his pace, in my opinion his creativity and apparent energy were a biproduct of this. I didn''t say he outpaced anyone, it was the way that he picked the ball up in midfield and ran directly at our defence at pace that caused the problem. It also narrowed the gap between midfield and strikers enabling him to play far simpler balls. We needed to bring on another all action midfielder to pick up his runs from deep and stick with him. We didn''t have an option on the bench that would have been able to do that in my opinion.

This is what our midfield lacked on Monday. We looked good and knocked the ball around well, but without Smith no one actually ran at their defence to open up space for the likes of Wes, Martin and Holt to get behind or between the centre backs.

[/quote]I would agree with that. I just think that the pace has little to do with it. If you are running at the defence to open up gaps then surely you don''t have to be lightening quick and if you look at the chances he made it wasn''t because of speed of foot but more speed of thought.You are right no one really went with him from midfield and so he had space to do that and a sub would have been great which is what he did in Gill. They didn''t score through any well played movement, they scored through a massive misstake between our back four and the keeper. But before Gradel came on they had no one in midfield willing to push forward and create in the way he did. Like I said not so much about pace, more about movement and creativity which they distinctly lacked until he came on.