Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Why no Subs made?

Why were no Subs made this evening until the introduction of Gill (God knows what that was all about).

For the first time this evening I would like to lay some blame at Paul Lambert''s feet. 

We were on the back foot for a good 10 to 15 mins (after Leeds brought Kandol and Gradel on) prior to Leeds 2nd Goal.  Was I the only one who saw this goal coming after the yellow card to Russell and Leeds introducing these two players?

I also felt that our strikers were looking tired and needed a change (pref introducing a bit of pace upfront in the 2nd half). 

It also didn''t help having Ostomebor back in the team and where was Korey tonight?

said exactly the same smudger. Leeds bring on 3 and we warm up a keeper that doesn''t come on.

We then bring on a player with hardly any match fitness for 2 minutes........

[quote user="Smudger"]

Why were no Subs made this evening until the introduction of Gill (God knows what that was all about).

For the first time this evening I would like to lay some blame at Paul Lambert''s feet. 

We were on the back foot for a good 10 to 15 mins (after Leeds brought Kandol and Gradel on) prior to Leeds 2nd Goal.  Was I the only one who saw this goal coming after the yellow card to Russell and Leeds introducing these two players?

I also felt that our strikers were looking tired and needed a change (pref introducing a bit of pace upfront in the 2nd half). 

It also didn''t help having Ostomebor back in the team and where was Korey tonight?

[/quote]can''t argue with any of that. I can only imagine that Korey was the mystery injury reported prior to kick off.

Otsemobor, Smudger. The least we can do is spell the names right.Smith was injured (has been said pretty much everywhere) and you''d rather George Francomb was thrown in at Elland Road against one of the division''s best set of wide men? Agree regarding substitutes though. For me, I''d have brought on McDonald for Martin - who looked very tired by the end - and Gill or Adeyemi for Rusty rather than Hughes who was also looking tired and throwing himself around. Wonder he stayed on the pitch.

I don''t think that there was any need to, the game was still there for us and if we brought someone on, it would have unbalanced a good performance, he brought on Gill to sure up the midfield.

I must admit I felt we nneded some fresh legs late on in that game. Lambert has done a great job, but I do feel he got it wrong in the last 1/4 of the game tonight!I get the feeling he does not rate Macdonald or many of the subs and feels they are not up to much?I believe that he is good enough to get us to bounce back saturday!As strange as it seems I felt that Martin should have been replaced by Cureton last 15 minutes. He could have just nicked one the amount of pressure we were having. Martin does not shoot enough!

I think he wanted them to try and play for the full 90min. Hughes looked dead but there was no point bringing on any subs by then, let alone Gill.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t think that there was any need to, the game was still there for us and if we brought someone on, it would have unbalanced a good performance, he brought on Gill to sure up the midfield.[/quote]

Shows how much you know... that Leeds goal was coming for 10 to 15 mins before it arrived and nothing was done by our bench to prevent it.

For the first time in history, I`m going to agree with old Smudge. I thought the game was played at a very fast pace and was amazed that Lambert only bought Gill on towards the end. Leeds seemed to step on when they bought on their two late subs.

It''s clear that Gill was brought on because we were slightly on the back foot right at the end and it was a case of adding some protection to the back four to keep hold of the point. But I would definitely have brought McDonald on for Martin when things started to go a bit stale for us with about 15 minutes left. My take on it though is that Lambert sees Martin as a better player for linking our passing game and maybe though MacDonald would perhaps let us down slightly in that department. Would have been worth the gamble though. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Amazingly after over 6,000 posts Smudger has for the very first time come up with a post I agree with.

Twenty minutes from the end Leeds were there for the taking if only we had put some pace on. Cody for Martin was blindingly obvious but Lambert didn''t do it and instead we were overrun for the last ten minutes.

Unfortunate it happened the way it did but it was obvious that it was going to happen.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Smith is injured.  Who would you have played at Right Back?  Russell?

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Otsemobor, Smudger. The least we can do is spell the names right.

Smith was injured (has been said pretty much everywhere) and you''d rather George Francomb was thrown in at Elland Road against one of the division''s best set of wide men?

Agree regarding substitutes though. For me, I''d have brought on McDonald for Martin - who looked very tired by the end - and Gill or Adeyemi for Rusty rather than Hughes who was also looking tired and throwing himself around. Wonder he stayed on the pitch.
[/quote]

I accept what you say re: Ostomobor and Smith (I didn''t know Smith had picked up a knock but was surprised to see him not involved).

I thought Russell was unlucky to pick up his booking and yet again was our best player.  Once he had been carded however our midfield was looking a little bit lightweight.

With Smith out then when you consider what we had on the bench, other than giving us some fresh legs upfront maybe it was very difficult to make any improvements despite the tide having turned aginst us since Leeds brought on their subs.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I thought it was crying out for Cody after 80 minutes.

Would agree about Semmy. Fullbacks remain a problem, although Drury was not that bad tonight.

Smudge for all his wind ups at least does read the game well.We played so well tonight i dont want to speak badly of anybody.........but....the last 10-15 mins Leeds did come back in to it. Whether Russells booking and talking to had anything to do with it, or just that we worked so hard we were knackered, i dont know....For me he is spot on, and both the centre of our midfield and our strike force needed some fresh legs.However i fully understand why PL didnt want to make the changes.gutting to see us get nothing from the game.....but lets be honest.....for all the pre match pessimism and fancying leeds to beat us well, we played very well.The important thing is to stuff Swindon at the weekend, and forget about this result as soon as possible.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t think that there was any need to, the game was still there for us and if we brought someone on, it would have unbalanced a good performance, he brought on Gill to sure up the midfield.[/quote]

Shows how much you know... that Leeds goal was coming for 10 to 15 mins before it arrived and nothing was done by our bench to prevent it.

[/quote]

Pot, kettle son, show''s how much you know when your asking about Smith....

We all see football matches differently, I thought we had it under control, but admit that the last 5-8 mins were a bit hairy, I do see the point in bringing on subs, but my theory was that it would have disrupted the team. Bringing subs on wouldn''t have changed the goalkick though.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Can''t argue with that. I too was sitting waiting for Lambert to put on some fresh legs to counter the Leeds subs.[:|]

Thanks for the complimet 6088m Canary... [;)]

After learning that Smith had picked up a knock and obviously with Spillane still out injured, I think tonight maybe showed Lamberts lack of options in certain areas of the squad.

He has of course tried to address some of the weaknesses in our squad, but has not been given any backing from those in the boardroom thus far.

I actually think Smudger might have a point here. Around the 65-70 minute mark I started to get that feeling that all NCFC fans must surely recognise.........that our time had been and gone and now we needed to shore things up. Personally I would have taken Martin or Hoolahan off and brought another CM on to shore things up, especially as Rusty was walking a bit of a tightrope.Having said that I thought Otsemebor had a decent game notwithstanding the first Leeds goal [:^)]

I think he has a real shortage of back up in my eyes too Smudge, we seem to have a few numbers but not enough quality. I said in another post, 2 wingers, centre and right back and maybe another forward, we lose Holt and were screwed I think.

Will the board give him the money to get these in? I doubt it.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Pot, kettle son, show''s how much you know when your asking about Smith....

We all see football matches differently, I thought we had it under control, but admit that the last 5-8 mins were a bit hairy, I do see the point in bringing on subs, but my theory was that it would have disrupted the team. Bringing subs on wouldn''t have changed the goalkick though.

[/quote]

THe last 10 to 15 mins were pretty much one way traffic to Leeds and it was only a matter of time before that goal came.

Without a change we were hanging on for a draw at best.

I would say that the pattern of our team had been well and truly disrupted by Leeds making their substitutions.  Surely decent management would of been to counteract that in some way???

But maybe due to our wonderful directors not backing Lambert and a couple of injuries we do not really have the options on the bench to make a difference anyway?

hahahha. no worries Smudge.....next time im back in Nelson''s own county we should discuss City over an ale or two....I think if we are honest, and we looked at the two squads tonight its fair to say Leeds had the strength in depth.If we lose Hughes or Hools we have a decidedly average midfield....Board bashing is not my style but come Xmas we will see the true ambition of this club.If we pull out all the stops to keep Hools and hughes, plus get in some decent back up then top 6 is ours for the taking.If we decide to sell our best players to the likes of Coventry for around the 500k mark then we will rightly have a grievance.....As for Cody...its a tough one. Pace to burn, but for me doesnt have the all round game to come on in this type of match.....last 15 against the likes of exter, sure, but throw him on last 15 against a side like Leeds is a risk. Martin was tiring sure, but he has strength and tries to link up the play. If we chuck on cody we will resort to punts in behind the back 4 hoping his pace gets him in......As for central mf cover?? Gill?? TJ? We need to have a good hard look around league 1 and see if we can get a decent utility midfielder who knows the league. Funny as it sounds, someone like andy hughes to bring on the last 15 would really have plugged our midfield.

In my opinion, Lambert almost got his decision regarding subs spot on. The team were on top, nobody deserved to be subbed attacking-wise an subbing a defender could have been suicidal if they don''t know their roles as they sort themselves out (i.e; bringing on daryl sutch in the playoff final)

The only sub I would have considered making was Russell, as he was treading a thin line and could have been sent off.

[quote user="Smudger"]

After learning that Smith had picked up a knock and obviously with Spillane still out injured, I think tonight maybe showed Lamberts lack of options in certain areas of the squad.

He has of course tried to address some of the weaknesses in our squad, but has not been given any backing from those in the boardroom thus far.

[/quote]

nothing to stop you putting your hand in your pocket.....

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

In my opinion, Lambert almost got his decision regarding subs spot on. The team were on top, nobody deserved to be subbed attacking-wise an subbing a defender could have been suicidal if they don''t know their roles as they sort themselves out (i.e; bringing on daryl sutch in the playoff final)

The only sub I would have considered making was Russell, as he was treading a thin line and could have been sent off.

[/quote]

hahaha nobody deserved to be subbed attacking wise?  Did Hoolahan ofr Martin have a shot on target all match???  With the exception of Holt who had another exceptional match we looked toothless upfront.  Plenty of posession in midfield but very few chances created!

Agree with Russell needed either to be removed or given some help after his booking though.  But would you really of trusted either Gill or Adeyemi to of taken Russell''s place if you had of withdrawn Russell?

[quote user="Big Bob"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote] nothing to stop you putting your hand in your pocket.....[/quote]

haha shall we club together Bob?

I am sure a few of us could possibly beat the derisory bid for Seaborne if we club together??? [:^)]