Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Ted McDougall Top Cherry

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6675864.ece?token=null&offset=144&page=13

For reasons best known to themselves, the Times Newspaper has run a feuture about the top fifty Bournemouth players of all time.

Ted McDougall is number one and Phil Boyer number three.

Those were the days, and many ex-city players figure. John Bond''s influence meant that Bournemouth were a virtual feeder club for us and they produced some good , good players for a relative soccer backwater.

Powell, figures and denies anything about him having a sex change.

My favourite was Kevin Reeves, but the McDougall/Boyer combination has not been bettered since, in any Canary line-up.

I notice that Neil Young also played for the Cherries. It must have been during his grunge period.

I hope the link works.

I noticed that too. God bless john bond. What a great manager for us he was. We could do with someone of his kind around the place these days.

Cheers BroadstairsR,

This was a great read. My story is I was born in Bournemouth and moved to Australia when I was six, the reason I started supporting Norwich in the 70''s was the John Bond and Bournemouth connection.

Thanks again, I don''t normally look at the times on line so I would of missed this.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

but the McDougall/Boyer combination has not been bettered since, in any Canary line-up. [/quote]

I think I''d agree with this; although they were my childhood heroes so I suppose I''m a bit biased to say the least [:)]

Good spot Broadstairs[Y]

I used to have the Bournemouth team photo from the time that Bond was there and it was incredible how many of those players ended up here playing in the top division. They must have had one hell of a side for Division Three and their fans must have been devastated to lose them all to us!

Later it was from Bournemouth from where we signed Efan Ekoku and he makes the list at 27.

I often wondered why no other bigger teams tapped the Bournemouth source at the time. John Bond was a canny customer.

Bournemoth fans had every reason to dislike our club. We picked their best players off time and time again. Perhaps the club benefitted in other ways from the income.

John Bond was on a radio show years ago, picking his favourite records. He went for Blondie and that style of music. Perhaps that was why he showed no interest in Neil Young, (little joke.)

Yes. Ken Brown, with the instantly recognisable, John Bond on the other end.

I can only with any put a name to them, Mel Machin and Ted McDougall. Quite a few others have a familiar look however.

Which one, if any, is Tony Powell?

I reckon the back row is : Bond, Machin, Benson, ????, Jones, Davies?, Powell, ????, ????, ????, Brown.

And I only immediately recognise MacDougall and Boyer from the front row.

It''s a long time ago!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Good spot Broadstairs[Y]

I used to have the Bournemouth team photo from the time that Bond was there and it was incredible how many of those players ended up here playing in the top division. They must have had one hell of a side for Division Three and their fans must have been devastated to lose them all to us!

Later it was from Bournemouth from where we signed Efan Ekoku and he makes the list at 27.

[/quote]And weren''t we supposed to be signing Justin Hayter from Bournemouth in every transfer window since 2005?

I might be wrong but when John Bond took over and bought a whole lot of players from Bournemouth the crowd were singing we love you Bournemouth or words to that effect!?

Perhaps Paul Lambert could raid Colchester in a similar manner. They must have some decent players at the moment.

NOT a serious suggestion Mr. Cam.