Simon here for another month

Posted on: Mon 19 Oct 2009

Following

last weeks story that we were working with Norwich to secure Simon''s

services for another month we are pleased  to announce that the

paperwork has gone through and he will will be staying with us. Simon

is now contracted to play for us up to and including the Chesterfield

match on 14th November.

You just have to love the knee jerk reaction of some fans. Whaley scored excellent winners against Palace and Wigan in preseason and showed some good qualities, although defensively he leaves a lot to be desired. He was then plunged into the chaos of Colchester, the sacking of Gunn and the new regime without ever having found his feet at a new club.

I really don''t know whether he could come good for us, but I think he deserves a chance, particularly when one compares the calls for his sale to the Pavlovian "he''s a confidence player" garbage that has been trotted out for the best part of the last 18 months to justify not getting shot of  the terminally declining Cureton. Double standards methinks......

[quote user="Beauseant"]

You just have to love the knee jerk reaction of some fans. Whaley scored excellent winners against Palace and Wigan in preseason and showed some good qualities, although defensively he leaves a lot to be desired. He was then plunged into the chaos of Colchester, the sacking of Gunn and the new regime without ever having found his feet at a new club.

I really don''t know whether he could come good for us, but I think he deserves a chance, particularly when one compares the calls for his sale to the Pavlovian "he''s a confidence player" garbage that has been trotted out for the best part of the last 18 months to justify not getting shot of  the terminally declining Cureton. Double standards methinks......

[/quote]

Sadly no one listened to his former club''s fans.........if it looks like s*** smells like s*** then it probably is s***!

[quote user="First Wizard"]Aparently........to extend his loan..........3 words? SELL SELL SELL![/quote]

Have you seen Whaley play ?

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="First Wizard"]Aparently........to extend his loan..........3 words? SELL SELL SELL![/quote]

Have you seen Whaley play ?[/quote]

I''ll take that as a no then. I admit that I only saw him play in one game, at Yeovil, so I didn''t see enough of him to form a proper judgement. However, based upon that one game and the fact that his cross from which Holt scored reminded me of WLY''s cross at MK Dons years ago from which Hucks scored, I thought he looked very promising. Not much else to add except to say that bringing in players is, at the end of the day, pretty much hit and miss. You win some you lose some and in the final analysis you hope to win more than you lose. I think Gunn/Butterworth did pretty well with the players they brought in, those they decided to keep (and in the case of Hoolahan, defied the wishes of "he who must be obeyered" and insisted on keeping him and in the process made an impacable enemy and the rest is history of course), the youth players they promoted, and those players they decided to kick out or let go. Early in his tenure as our manager, Lambert certainly pronounced himself very content with the squad he inherited and on the basis of that squad stated that promotion was his aim. Inevitably, there were going to be players that Lambert would take a "dislike" to such as Whaley. He also took a dislike to (or was instructed to) Hoolahan, Doherty and Russell but he seems to have changed his mind since ! Just shows how difficult and prone to error making quick judgements about players is.

Bob please move on - you seem like an intelligent person. Nobody will think any the worse of you and you may even gain some new friends.

As I was reading your post I was waiting for the "Lamberts inherited Gunns squad" mantra and as usual you didn''t disappoint!

Please, please, please move on - you''re allowed to and you will be forgiven.

See if you can post something that doesn''t mention (even if not in name) Gunn or "his" players.

Go on, you know you want to.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="First Wizard"]Aparently........to extend his loan..........3 words? SELL SELL SELL![/quote]

I''ll take that as a no then. I admit that I only saw him play in one game, at Yeovil, so I didn''t see enough of him to form a proper judgement. However, based upon that one game and the fact that his cross from which Holt scored reminded me of WLY''s cross at MK Dons years ago from which Hucks scored, I thought he looked very promising. Not much else to add except to say that bringing in players is, at the end of the day, pretty much hit and miss. You win some you lose some and in the final analysis you hope to win more than you lose. I think Gunn/Butterworth did pretty well with the players they brought in, those they decided to keep (and in the case of Hoolahan, defied the wishes of "he who must be obeyered" and insisted on keeping him and in the process made an impacable enemy and the rest is history of course), the youth players they promoted, and those players they decided to kick out or let go. Early in his tenure as our manager, Lambert certainly pronounced himself very content with the squad he inherited and on the basis of that squad stated that promotion was his aim. Inevitably, there were going to be players that Lambert would take a "dislike" to such as Whaley. He also took a dislike to (or was instructed to) Hoolahan, Doherty and Russell but he seems to have changed his mind since ! Just shows how difficult and prone to error making quick judgements about players is.

[/quote]

No, its not that, I just can''t be bothered with Lambert bashers!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for clarifying that to me - so, you never saw Whaley play. As for your "Lambert basher" remark, well, sorry but that''s as vacuous and empty headed as your thread.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for clarifying that to me - so, you never saw Whaley play. As for your "Lambert basher" remark, well, sorry but that''s as vacuous and empty headed as your thread.

[/quote]

I saw him play in at least 4 games befor he departed. Was not impressed in any of them and couldn''t say he looked like he wanted to be here at all.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I saw him play in at least 4 games befor he departed. Was not impressed in any of them and couldn''t say he looked like he wanted to be here at all.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s fair enough. I only saw him play one game but thought he had promise. The point I was making, however, was that the PinkUn MB institution that is 1st Wizard initiated his "SELL SELL SELL" thread without having seen Whaley play at all.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Thank you for clarifying that to me - so, you never saw Whaley play. As for your "Lambert basher" remark, well, sorry but that''s as vacuous and empty headed as your thread.

[/quote]

As another poster has spotted this trait in you too, I''ll file your reply under utter rubbish!

He has been the worst signing of the summer so far for me, and to be honest I couldn''t care less whether he goes to Rochdale.

In pre-season him Whaley and Maric looked to be good acquisitions, but havn''t featured in any league games this season.

I think that Lambert should give Maric a go upfront against Swindon on Saturday and hope that he plays well, and also hopefully Whaley will come back a changed man from Rochdale!

[quote user="First Wizard"]Aparently........to extend his loan..........3 words? SELL SELL SELL![/quote]

i say bring him back, will come back to us match fit, in a better team than rochdale

its about time we used loans to our advantage

[quote user="Delia Out"]

He has been the worst signing of the summer so far for me, and to be honest I couldn''t care less whether he goes to Rochdale.

[/quote]Worse than Theo?  Okay......

[quote user="DO"]

In pre-season him Whaley and Maric looked to be good acquisitions, but havn''t featured in any league games this season.

[/quote]

Whaley is a twin?

We all know that 1st Wizard doesn''t actually need to see a player to know that he''s rubbish and should never play for the club again. That''s why we all take his comments so seriously....

[quote user="Dicky"]

We all know that 1st Wizard doesn''t actually need to see a player to know that he''s rubbish and should never play for the club again. That''s why we all take his comments so seriously....

[/quote]

Er?

Now being ever so polite here....................imo, you''re just a sad, no mark, point scoring arsehole who really has no idea of what I seen.............where or when!

I just got an unexpected text from one of my friends who is a Bournemouth fan telling me what a great player Simon Whaley is! He watched Rochdale''s 4-0 thrashing of Bournemouth yesterday and was really impressed by him. I was a bit surprised but then Whaley is a confidence player and he''s probably much more at home in the north west given he''s played for Bury, Preston and now Rochdale. I saw him play for Bury many times - sometimes he was brilliant and sometimes he did absolutely nothing and ran about like a headless chicken. When he joined Norwich I thought maybe he might have become more consistant over the years....I guess he had as he seemed consistantly bad! I do think he shouldn''t be written off though because he does have potential and other people (with no pre-conceived judgements) seem to be able to spot that......

[quote user="Stranger44"]

I just got an unexpected text from one of my friends who is a Bournemouth fan telling me what a great player Simon Whaley is! He watched Rochdale''s 4-0 thrashing of Bournemouth yesterday and was really impressed by him. I was a bit surprised but then Whaley is a confidence player and he''s probably much more at home in the north west given he''s played for Bury, Preston and now Rochdale. I saw him play for Bury many times - sometimes he was brilliant and sometimes he did absolutely nothing and ran about like a headless chicken. When he joined Norwich I thought maybe he might have become more consistant over the years....I guess he had as he seemed consistantly bad! I do think he shouldn''t be written off though because he does have potential and other people (with no pre-conceived judgements) seem to be able to spot that......

[/quote]

Unfortunately Norwich fans are incredibly fickle and will write off a player after 3/4 poor matches (sometimes even before they''ve actually even kicked a ball).  Whaley had a very good pre-season and everyone was saying how great it was to have a right winger with pace as well as end product.  He then starts the season and goes AWOL along with the rest of the team in our record ever home defeat under the guidance of an apalling manager, plays under-par in a couple of games when we have no manager and then gets recalled in a match against a top half Prem team and doesn''t do too well as you would probably expect.  If he is a confidence player, its not particulrly surprising that he was anonymous in matches under these circumstances.

But on the back of this, he is obviously cr*p and deserves to be released on a free contract.  Just like Martin a couple of seasons ago, Drury and Lappin last season and Doc just a few weeks back who are now all playing a vital role in our rise up the table. 

From what I''ve heard Whaley has been excellent at Rochdale and has created a number of goals as well as scoring a couple himself.  I think we should get him back when his loan expires as he is certainly good enough to be an impact sub and probably a better option to Daley at the moment.  He will hopefully be full of confidence and will come into a squad thats being managed properly and brimming with confidence.  

A final note is that in all of Whaley''s games, he was playing in front of, according to most on here, the worst right back in the clubs history but I suppose that would have no impact own performance......so fickle. 

Things appear to be going well for Whaley at Rochdale; may be he''s more at home up North.Hopefully he can come back with his current form intact, ''cause we''re going to be needing pacey wide men to keep up the promotion push..

i understand what your saying clint but in gunns defence our poor manager has put together a team (before he was sacked) that has lost a handfull of games , and currently the best form in the division , non of which are lamberts signings.

i think gunn was treated too harshly to be honest , to sack someone who had a great pre season and won away from home 4-0  is crazy .

i can understan why gunn wanted to keep hold oh hoolihan ,and as for grant ... makes a change for norwich to have a striker of thier own who can score goals .

i have to give gunn some credit , i wont call him useless not by any standard .

This IMO could be the answer to our wide man problem as I think if we ever did need to switch to 4-4-2 Whaley is capable of doing a job. This time out on loan seems to be doing him the world of good and if Lambert can weave his magic on him when he returns we could well have a very handy squad player on our hands that gives us something of a "Plan B".

[quote user="singing canary"]

i understand what your saying clint but in gunns defence our poor manager has put together a team (before he was sacked) that has lost a handfull of games , and currently the best form in the division , non of which are lamberts signings.

i think gunn was treated too harshly to be honest , to sack someone who had a great pre season and won away from home 4-0  is crazy .

i can understan why gunn wanted to keep hold oh hoolihan ,and as for grant ... makes a change for norwich to have a striker of thier own who can score goals .

[/quote]

That is so original. Probably the best point ever made.

[/quote]

Forster-(Lambert), Otsemebor-(Grant), Drury-(Worthington), Doherty-(Worthington), Askou-(Gunn), Russell-(Grant), Smith-(Youth), Lappin-(Grant), Hoolahan- (Roeder),Martin -(Youth), Holt -(Gunn).

Thats 2 out of 11, and indeed 2 out of 12 summer signings, so could you people please,please,PLEASE STOP CALLING THIS GUNN''S SIDE AND GIVING HIM ANY SORT OF CREDIT FOR THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so gunn didnt keep the other players you mentioned then ..?  holt is the top scorer in that division , and some of the youngsters ie like martin etc etc given another chance by norwich .

lappin , ? how many gaps did we have when the loan players went back ..?

the team was put in place before lambert even arrived .

we lost one game with the team gunn put together if you include the pre season friendlies that including a premiership team ..wigan .

gunn was not as bad as some make out .

so gunn didnt keep the other players you mentioned then ..?  holt is the top scorer in that division , and some of the youngsters ie like martin etc etc given another chance by norwich .

lappin , ? how many gaps did we have when the loan players went back ..?

the team was put in place before lambert even arrived .

we lost one game with the team gunn put together if you include the pre season friendlies that including a premiership team ..wigan .

gunn was not as bad as some make out .

[/quote]

Oh ffs, wind your neck in.