Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Dale want to keep Whaley!

I don''t think we should be so hasty, let him stay there for a bit but i don''t see the point in selling him as it will only be peanuts anyway!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Here''s link:

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~1828036,00.html

[/quote]

The link doesnt say anything about them buying? I doubt they would be able to afford to match what we paid for him only a couple of months ago.

I think an extension of the loan is the best scenario for everyone, hopefully he will come back fresh and challenge for his place in our first team.

[quote user="eagle"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Here''s link:

[/quote]

The link doesnt say anything about them buying? I doubt they would be able to afford to match what we paid for him only a couple of months ago.

I think an extension of the loan is the best scenario for everyone, hopefully he will come back fresh and challenge for his place in our first team.

[/quote]

Agreed................but I can live in hope can''t I?[;)]

Good spot wiz, and im in agreement as to sell, he was shocking when he was here, never takes the man on, is so slow, and is never where he''s supposed to be. Hopefully if we could sell him could raise a few thousand in order to buy a left winger or a Centre half, or a right winger, or a right back, or a goalkeeper, oh what the heck anybody position will do

[quote user="Big Bob"]Good spot wiz, and im in agreement as to sell, he was shocking when he was here, never takes the man on, is so slow, and is never where he''s supposed to be. Hopefully if we could sell him could raise a few thousand in order to buy a left winger or a Centre half, or a right winger, or a right back, or a goalkeeper, oh what the heck anybody position will do[/quote]He''s been poor, but i''d be interested to see how he does at Rochdale. He''s apparently very much a confidence player. I disagree that he''s ''so slow''. At times where he has actually ran, primarily pre season, he was far from slow.

A confodence player ! What a load of old drivel. if a player doesn''t have the drive and determination to carry on playing when it gets tough then they usually never make it beyond the youths.

Sadly meaningless cliches like the above have become a handy tool to give the air of knowing when they do nothing but mask any genuine debate.

In the few games I saw he did not look to fit, didn''t appear to know whether he was to be tracking back to help with Spillane or be an out and out winger.

Wheher he would have a place in Lambert''s team is another matter. Lambert has brought back a few into the fold. A tribute to his managerial skills by getting the best out of players he didn''t sign.

Leave Whalley ''oop north'' for the time being and have another look in a month or so,

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="eagle"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Here''s link:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed................but I can live in hope can''t I?[;)]

[/quote]send curo out too

I refuse to believe that he can be that bad.

I don''t believe that a player who was a reasonably consistent fixture in a championship side that regularly challenged for play-off places can have fallen so dramatically in such a short space of time that he is TWO divisions worse.

Whilst our current midfield formation is working , there will be times this season when an orthordox 442 with 2 wingers maybe required. Right -wingers at the moment a sparse at the club as I still think Daley is very raw. There has to be a useful player somewhere in Whaley mustn''t there?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I refuse to believe that he can be that bad.

I don''t believe that a player who was a reasonably consistent fixture in a championship side that regularly challenged for play-off places can have fallen so dramatically in such a short space of time that he is TWO divisions worse.

Whilst our current midfield formation is working , there will be times this season when an orthordox 442 with 2 wingers maybe required. Right -wingers at the moment a sparse at the club as I still think Daley is very raw. There has to be a useful player somewhere in Whaley mustn''t there?

[/quote]I agree.He has played woefully in the league for us, i am more than willing to admit that, but i have major doubts as to whether we''ve seen anything anywhere near the best of what he has to offer. Preston fans in the majority felt he would walk this league, and were quick to point out that he has been subject to Premier League interest on a number of occasions (of which his interest in turn led to Portsmouth trying to aquire the services of Nugent rather than Whaley apparently).He''s shown himself to be very capable in the past supposedly. However our fans are admittedly very quick to judge, and should that remain to be the case maybe this just isn''t the club for him (although i''d hate to think thats a reason to justify the dismissal of a player)

When Lambert took charge the first thing he did was to drop all four midfield players.  Whaley was just one element in a poor, unbalanced midfield.  I wouldn''t write him off completely at this stage - he could yet have a role to play with different personnel in the line up.

People that write players off early should remember the other player that we signed from Preston a few years back. Look where Etuhu is now !! 

I find it sad that some Norwich City fans would completely write off a player based on two mediocre performances in the league after encouraging performances in the pre-season friendly games.  We know that under Gunn''s "management" players weren''t match fit or prepared for games and that would have affected every player in the squad.  It''s fair to say we haven''t seen the best of Whaley yet, why wouldn''t we give him another chance before writing him off?

[quote user="paul moy"]People that write players off early should remember the other player that we signed from Preston a few years back. Look where Etuhu is now !! [/quote]Most of our fans didn''t rate him either however, we didn''t really use him properly. Fulham have been getting the best out of him by sitting him in front of the back 4 and just using him as a shield. We wanted him to be another Damien Francis and it didn''t work..

[quote user="singing canary"]

forgive me if im wrong isnt whaley a winger..? francis was a central midfielder .

[/quote]I was talking about Etuhu..

Whaley seemed to hit the ball to Semi a lot then point at it while yelling at Semi to tell him what to do...granted Semi isnt our most tallented or intelectual player... but still, it really looked like Whaley was making mistakes then blaming Semi.

Sell Sell Sell

Whaley, Theoklitos, Maric, Tudor-Jones, Gill.

All these summer acquisitions have received negative comments on this board recently.

The first three have been virtually written off as non-starters on occasions.

Are we, as supporters, suffering from the Strihavka, Brellier, Brown effect whereby we expect flops from the outset?

I would prefer to give these players a decent chance when the time comes. They can''t all be bad.

[quote user="City1st"]A confodence player ! What a load of old drivel. if a player doesn''t have the drive and determination to carry on playing when it gets tough then they usually never make it beyond the youths.

Sadly meaningless cliches like the above have become a handy tool to give the air of knowing when they do nothing but mask any genuine debate.

In the few games I saw he did not look to fit, didn''t appear to know whether he was to be tracking back to help with Spillane or be an out and out winger.

Wheher he would have a place in Lambert''s team is another matter. Lambert has brought back a few into the fold. A tribute to his managerial skills by getting the best out of players he didn''t sign.

Leave Whalley ''oop north'' for the time being and have another look in a month or so,[/quote]Disagree. Thought he looked okay pre-season, but was poor in the games he did play for us. ''Confidence'' is not a meaningless cliches, it''s very much real, and a huge amount of players feed on it. Confidence can hugely affect how a player plays in my opinion. If you''re confident, you go looking for the ball. If you''re not confident, you don''t. If you''re confident in your own ability, you''re much more likely to try and knock the ball past a player than if you''re not confident.He may well turn out to be an awful signing but who knows, he may not be!

I agree cherub, as he wasn''t the only player to struggle against Colchester, and then in the matches following Gunn''s sacking.

People are far too quick to write players off (including all those who applauding Roeder for off-loading Martin and Spillane to Luton). Lambert wants more pace and Whaley is one of the few in the present team who have it (whatever others say, he does have pace). Give it another moth at Rochdale and review it then. Lambert doesn''t seem the type to make a knee-jerk reaction and then allow his own ego to dominate and as we all know, there isn''t a lot of money to bring other players in.

I think what you''re all forgetting is that IIRC he asked Lambert for a move. Can''t see him coming back to be honest..