Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

If Hoolahan wasn't playing tonight...

We''d have created half the chances, but would be winning. He just doesn''t understand this isn''t the Wesley show, he needs to be dropped.

Jeez what has Hoolahan got to do for people to accept that he''s probably our best player? Can''t believe people still have their doubts on him after the way he''s played recently.

[quote user="Downloads"]Wonder if he feels like a muppet now.[/quote]

Sounded upbeat and very content in his recent interview and happy to play inside or on the wing!  It''s good to see him involved and contributing.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]We''d have created half the chances, but would be winning. He just doesn''t understand this isn''t the Wesley show, he needs to be dropped.[/quote]I think that the opposite is true.  Tonight Hoolahan kept holding it up and looking for the killer pass when he should just have put his foot through the ball and gambled on a shot.  Would a player trying to set up others all the time think it was "the Wesley show"?  I think not.

Interesting thread this one.It seems to come down to how you view the game. If you view it from the kick and rush, little skill but lots of effort English standpoint (half the teams in the PL) then yes, hoolahan is useless.However.......The people that have this view of the game also think that Stoichkov or Berbatov were/are lazy buggers, that Andy Cole was better at newcastle (scored more but was a far far better all round player at Man U),that Andy Reid is a useless midfielder as he looks overweight and that xabi alonso is useless compared to Stevie G (look at how dodgy liverpools mf is since he went to Real!).Now perhaps there is an argument that Wes is a luxury we cant afford in a league such as this, yet if you look at the sides that have been promoted over the past seasons, most have played football "the Norwich way" i.e on the deck.I''m amazed that people still doubt Wes'' ability, sure he will frustrate from time to time but thats the type of player he is. Perhaps people would prefer an 11 of Darel Russel, lots of energy, commitment yet zero ability to create or read the game.Guess its the beauty of the game....everyone has an opinion.Think Hools will look even better once Hughes is back in the starting XI, two players who know how to pass, create and read the game. 

Still stand by what I said at HT. Was just the same in the second half. Should have played Holt through but took too many touches by which time Holt was offside. Those who understand football and don''t just watch on the radio must surely agree with me? I don''t question that he''s got quality, he just doesn''t do the simple things well.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Still stand by what I said at HT. Was just the same in the second half. Should have played Holt through but took too many touches by which time Holt was offside. Those who understand football and don''t just watch on the radio must surely agree with me? I don''t question that he''s got quality, he just doesn''t do the simple things well.[/quote]I agree he overcomplicates and is too one-footed to be more than a good Championship level player, but some of his midfield link play tonight was quality. I''m not sure he should play off the front man but if he can learn how to do it and how to shoot then we have a really good partnership in theory.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Still stand by what I said at HT. Was just the same in the second half. Should have played Holt through but took too many touches by which time Holt was offside. Those who understand football and don''t just watch on the radio must surely agree with me? I don''t question that he''s got quality, he just doesn''t do the simple things well.[/quote]I agree the people watching on the radio, are clearly extremely dumb.

[quote user="Longy"][quote user="Matt Juler"]Still stand by what I said at HT. Was just the same in the second half. Should have played Holt through but took too many touches by which time Holt was offside. Those who understand football and don''t just watch on the radio must surely agree with me? I don''t question that he''s got quality, he just doesn''t do the simple things well.[/quote]

I agree the people watching on the radio, are clearly extremely dumb.
[/quote]

I sit 3 rows back in the barclay...you should see how wasteful he is from there ! On the f*****g radio my arse......................he might as well have a plastic right leg...mind you ...why on earth was he playing on the right ???? He was constantly trying to get the ball on his left foot...............that must be the managers fault surely ?

He makes mistakes but he''s capable of brilliant things when he''s got the ball. And even when he does make an error he doesn''t hide or sulk he keeps looking for the ball and working hard to make things right.

Much rather have him in our team than not.

You''re not going to see too many players as gifted as him in this league.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Still stand by what I said at HT. Was just the same in the second half. Should have played Holt through but took too many touches by which time Holt was offside. Those who understand football and don''t just watch on the radio must surely agree with me? I don''t question that he''s got quality, he just doesn''t do the simple things well.[/quote]Kind of ironic that you imply that those who "watch on the radio" [:|] don''t understand football when you were posting on here during the game, suggesting that you were listening on the radio yourself?

I can''t believe I''m reading this after the way Wes played tonight. He was head and shoulders above the rest in the first half and was absolutely instrumental to the 15-20 minute period in the second half that saw us take the game away from Orient. He can be frustrating but I truly believe that the players around him don''t always help him in this regard.Went to the toilet at half time and stood next to two blokes one of whom claimed that ''Hoolahan is f*cking sh*te''. I muttered something under my breath that sounded a little like ''You putrid clucking runts'' and cried a little inside [:''(]

And yes I agree too he can be frustrating at times, I agree he needs to shoot a bit more rather than take on that extra man, but he makes things happen. Like someone else said, how you can say he was trying to make it the Wesley show when it was him being TOO unselfish that cost us in the first half?Even the Orient fans had praise for him and Grant."Grant Holt & Wes Hoolahan - Utterly tore us to shreds.

First goal goes in, heads totally collapse. Slowcroft was ****, Daniels defending at the end was shocking.

If there as ever a demonstration of how to play target man and support players it was tonight.

I felt for Jamie Jones, made 5 good saves and had no chance with the goals.

Townsend looked a threat, but was rarely given the ball. "

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Still stand by what I said at HT. Was just the same in the second half. Should have played Holt through but took too many touches by which time Holt was offside. Those who understand football and don''t just watch on the radio must surely agree with me? I don''t question that he''s got quality, he just doesn''t do the simple things well.[/quote]

I understand football and I say that you are wrong. Whose dip of the shoulder, turn and pass was it that left Smith with the easy task of laying the ball into Martin''s path for the first goal?  

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Still stand by what I said at HT. Was just the same in the second half. Should have played Holt through but took too many touches by which time Holt was offside. Those who understand football and don''t just watch on the radio must surely agree with me? I don''t question that he''s got quality, he just doesn''t do the simple things well.[/quote]

I understand football and I say that you are wrong. Whose dip of the shoulder, turn and pass was it that left Smith with the easy task of laying the ball into Martin''s path for the first goal?  

[/quote]Anyone who thinks Hoolahan shouldn''t be in the side clearly just see what they want to see. Every Norwich player was looking for Hoolahan when they had the ball, and he was finding space in a very congested Orient midfield/defence. Perhaps it seems like he holds onto the ball too long, but I would far rather we keep possession and probe for an opening than shoot from distance or hoof it up into the box.The reason Orient had so few chances before they went down to 10 was due to us keeping the ball so well. Long may it continue.PS. Special mention for the Doc - almost faultless performance tonight, and is exactly what we''ve been missing in defence over the past few games.

Hoolahan is the most frustrating player we have, he exudes quality, from his one foot.  Tonight he was brilliant, but that chance where he went through, but did not have the confidence to shoot with his right just sums him up.  I think we would have won tonight without him, but not in the style that we did towards the end, he is a key player for us, and will win us far more points when he is in the team.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Hoolahan is the most frustrating player we have, he exudes quality, from his one foot.  Tonight he was brilliant, but that chance where he went through, but did not have the confidence to shoot with his right just sums him up.  I think we would have won tonight without him, but not in the style that we did towards the end, he is a key player for us, and will win us far more points when he is in the team.
[/quote]

And that is the truth.

We would rather moan about a ''frustrating talented'' player who had his part in the first goal than a player who played average all match and did nothing special.

Wes Hoolahan''s the bloody tits right now, and I was someone who was saying I wouldn''t be overly bothered if he left, Orient simply couldn''t deal with him Gillgham and Charlton fans are also saying that aswell.

Yes Wes may not pull everything he tries off but the fantastic thing about him is he''ll do everything in his power to make up for it and he more often than not does.

Some of the stuff he was doing tonight left in some of the Orient fans applauding him and he had a great game and we''d be a lot poorer side without him.

I agree with Lambo. Wes is the bloody tits right now. I''ve thoroughly enjoyed watching the way he''s been playing recently. He''s got his faults - and there will be games where fewer things come off than did tonight - but he so clearly is the player that everyone else looks to. And he never shirks his responsibility either - except occasionally when he should put his laces through the ball. Big thumbs up from me.

Well said 6088. Completely agree, not only with your Hoolahan comments, but football in general. I too can''t understand the negativity and constant criticism of Wes. Tonight he read the game well, linked up well with Holt and created a multitude of chances for his team mates. Still, never mind, the only opinion that really matters is the manager, and he seems keen to keep Hoolahan in the team. We have looked a step nearer the quality required to do well in this league since Hoolahan''s re introduction into the team.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Hoolahan is the most frustrating player we have, he exudes quality, from his one foot.  Tonight he was brilliant, but that chance where he went through, but did not have the confidence to shoot with his right just sums him up.  I think we would have won tonight without him, but not in the style that we did towards the end, he is a key player for us, and will win us far more points when he is in the team.[/quote]IF HE HAD TWO GOOD FEED, HE WOULDN''T BE PLAYING FOR A LEAGUE ONE SIDE

Hoolahan is an exceptional player in this league, and those that argue differently can''t seem to realise the impact he has for us in the latter half of the pitch. The only problem i have is that after he''s beaten his player he doesn''t always continue his run, he sometimes goes to then beat his man again, and again, and by then players are marked up. There''s things he has to improve on, just like any other player.Can''t complain about his lack of right foot, because in my opinion with a good right foot he''d be playing for a team top of the Championship.