Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Norwich City v Leyton Orient - Player Ratings

Bizarre game which turned on a red card for what looked a less dodgy tackle than one about five minutes before it and which only drew a yellow card.  League one refs? Meh.  Still, the O''s player went in two-footed over the ball and no doubt it was deserved, and I don''t just say that because against 10 men we used the space and width of the Carrow Road pitch to pull them every which way and scored 4 goals in the process.For the first 10 minutes it was all O''s, then for the next 35 minutes we battered them but seem to have decided that our new attack plan would be to look for Paul McVeigh headers at the far post, which is certainly a unique strategy, and one which paid predictable dividends.  Hoolahan was his frustrating, irritating and mercurial self, Smith and Russell mopped up in centre midfield but nothing was quite clicking.  Askou and Doc were composed at the back, Rudd was sound without anything to do bar watch the crossbar wobble from a 30 yarder, Spillane looked good at right back and the question was "would we ever score against a team here for the taking?"  Second half was similar, then cue red card, cue the introduction of Martin and within 10 minutes we were 3-0 up and the O''s had all gone quiet, or had headed outside for a hot dog and a fight.Player ratings: all 7s, I could go all 7.5s but without the dismissal I sense 0-0 would have been the outcome.  McVeigh would be a 6, tried hard but wasn''t really there today.Good to see Cureton get on the scoresheet, he should now go ahead of McDonald in the subs pecking order.  I would play the same 11 on Saturday perhaps with Martin from the start instead of the largely ineffectual McVeigh.  Martin might even get his head on something.A special mention to the Leyton Orient fans, who were the nastiest bunch of East London chavs I''ve had the misfortune to rub shoulders with since, um, Charlton.  And technically Charlton are "Sarf Lahndahn" so the O''s are in a league of their own.  Enjoy the unique National Express rail service back to Lahndahn.

I think the referee just lost patience because there were three pretty bad tackles by the ''O''s in quick succession. If he had not sent the guy off the next tackle could have meant a serious injury. I applaud this referee as much as I would criticise the one on Saturday !!   

I thought the sending off made it more difficult because they then stuck ten men behind the ball but the goals we scored were , apart from the first 10 minutes we were miles better than them and I could hardly believe that having battered them for 35 minutes we were not winning at half time

Chops, wasn''t it Martin''s introduction that turned the game? Listening to the match, Orient seemed to be getting more joy after the sending off than before - they sounded to have settled for a draw anyway - but the first goal changed everything. Did it not look like that from your perspective?

[quote user="ron obvious"]Chops, wasn''t it Martin''s introduction that turned the game? Listening to the match, Orient seemed to be getting more joy after the sending off than before - they sounded to have settled for a draw anyway - but the first goal changed everything. Did it not look like that from your perspective?

[/quote]I was holding out for Stephen Hughes to come on and was surprised it was Martin, but undoubtedly Lambert pulled out the right move as Martin went into a forward role alongside Holt with Hoolahan in the hole and we started pulling the ten men left and right and all over the place.  I don''t think we could have done that if they had kept 11 on the pitch, but yes, I guess the two things combined. The sending off created the potential overlap and Lambert exploited it cleverly with Martin.  All the goals were high quality - Spillane''s goal, for a right/centre-back, was outstanding.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ron obvious"]

Chops, wasn''t it Martin''s introduction that turned the game? Listening to the match, Orient seemed to be getting more joy after the sending off than before - they sounded to have settled for a draw anyway - but the first goal changed everything. Did it not look like that from your perspective?

[/quote]

I was holding out for Stephen Hughes to come on and was surprised it was Martin, but undoubtedly Lambert pulled out the right move as Martin went into a forward role alongside Holt with Hoolahan in the hole and we started pulling the ten men left and right and all over the place.  I don''t think we could have done that if they had kept 11 on the pitch, but yes, I guess the two things combined. The sending off created the potential overlap and Lambert exploited it cleverly with Martin.  All the goals were high quality - Spillane''s goal, for a right/centre-back, was outstanding.

[/quote]

Martins introduction did turn the game because he took his chance. He put his foot through the ball and scored. McVeigh had a couple of opportunities first half that turned out to be little better than back passes. Hoolahan also should have put his foot through the ball and scored first half. Martins goal changed the game and credit to him for scoring it.

I wanted Hughes on too. It''s difficult because Russell and Smith were playing so well but I believe Hughes brings something different to our side. Hughes may well have to be content with the bench again on Saturday because Russell and Smith played so well tonight. By the same token whoever is fit on Saturday the Doc should keep his place too. It''s a good problem to have though.

The sending off wasn''t the breaking point, Martin was. We lacked a predator until he came on, but the moment he did we started scoring goals for fun. Even Cureton got one for Christs sake.

Can''t be bothered to go into detail (maybe tomorrow, want to go to bed) but well chuffed tonight. Take away the first 15-20 minutes and it was such a one-sided game but we just couldn''t kill them off until Martin came on - a great decision from Lambert as it allowed Hoolahan to roam everywhere and we took them to bits after that. An excellent team performance, one I genuinely enjoyed and it looked like the players enjoyed it too.Special mention to Holt who worked his socks off again and got a deserved goal, Hoolahan for being so influential (yes he is frustrating and makes mistakes, but if he didn''t he''d be in the Premier League) - anyone who says he''s crap is an idiot. And Doherty for coming in from the cold, and putting in a truly excellent performance. Him and Askou could form some partnership at this level. Oh and Spillane will probably never score another goal like it - sensational.Rudd - 8Spillane - 8Doherty - 8Askou - 8Drury - 8McVeigh - 6Smith - 8Russell - 8Lappin - 6Hoolahan - 9Holt - 9 (My MOM)Martin - 8. Hughes and Cureton not on long enough but Cureton did take his goal very well indeed.

Rudd - 8, not a great deal to do but looked very assured and made a stunning save early on to tip the ball onto the bar.

Spillane - 8, best performance i''ve seen from Micky, certainly didn''t look like a centre back playing at right back, brilliant goal with stepovers and a left foot drive.

Doherty - 9, just looked a class above at the back, Scummer Scowcroft won nothing in the air and he covered every move Jarvis made with ease.

Askou - 7, distribution was iffy but he was pretty solid which is the main thing.

Drury - 7, the Drury we all know from the past, rock solid! The sending off was right in front of me, i thought Drury went in pretty hard as did the lino who gave the free kick to Orient but i think Melligan was a bit high so will wait untill i see it again before commenting anymore.

McVeigh - 6, looked very neat and tidy, joining in most attacks during the 1st half but he just lacks that yard of pace.

Smith - 8, the lad covers so much ground and looks so mature and confident, got a really bright future.

Russell - 7, his experience and presence is key alongside Korey, just keeps it simple.

Lappin - 6, thought he was fairly quiet, but i think he plays an important role balancing the side on the left.

Hoolahan - 8, involved in absolutely everything going forward, great movement. Frustrating at times when he takes extra touches and doesn''t use his right peg.

Holt - 8, I can really see why he is a fans favourite, runs himself into the ground, holds up the ball,links well with Wes and the others and scores goals, what more can you want?

Martin - 7, really have been impressed with him this season, has an arrogance about him but he has a great footballing brain, good feet and clinical.

Hughes - 6, neat and tidy but game had died down

Cureton - 7, didn''t do anything other than beat the offside trap and confidently sidefoot home the 4th

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"] Hoolahan for being so influential (yes he is frustrating and makes mistakes, but if he didn''t he''d be in the Premier League) - anyone who says he''s crap is an idiot. [/quote]Amen to that. I thought Hoolahoops was outstanding tonight. True, he should have scored in the first half, but his use of the ball is for the most part so intelligent (even if it don''t always come off) - all those delicious little flicks with the outside of the boot, the reverse passes. He''s a tremendous player, and we''re lucky to have him. Kudos to Lambo for bringing him back in and - a first for a Norwich manager - giving him the freedom to play in a position where he can really hurt the opposition.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Can''t be bothered to go into detail (maybe tomorrow, want to go to bed) but well chuffed tonight. Take away the first 15-20 minutes and it was such a one-sided game but we just couldn''t kill them off until Martin came on - a great decision from Lambert as it allowed Hoolahan to roam everywhere and we took them to bits after that. An excellent team performance, one I genuinely enjoyed and it looked like the players enjoyed it too.

Special mention to Holt who worked his socks off again and got a deserved goal, Hoolahan for being so influential (yes he is frustrating and makes mistakes, but if he didn''t he''d be in the Premier League) - anyone who says he''s crap is an idiot. And Doherty for coming in from the cold, and putting in a truly excellent performance. Him and Askou could form some partnership at this level. Oh and Spillane will probably never score another goal like it - sensational.

Rudd - 8
Spillane - 8
Doherty - 8
Askou - 8
Drury - 8
McVeigh - 6
Smith - 8
Russell - 8
Lappin - 6
Hoolahan - 9
Holt - 9 (My MOM)

Martin - 8. Hughes and Cureton not on long enough but Cureton did take his goal very well indeed.
[/quote]

im not sure he played well enough for MOM, the doc, smith, russell and spillane were all better